PDA

View Full Version : USEF EquiTests 3 iPhone app - worth the $ ?

GutsNGlory
Jan. 5, 2011, 09:53 PM
EquiTests has the 2011 USEF Dressage tests on an app now. It is $9.99 though, and I am a rather frugal individual. Does anyone have it already? Is it worth it? How do you use it?

Thanks! :)

jn4jenny
Jan. 6, 2011, 08:08 AM
I asked this on the dressage forum a few days ago and got lots of great feedback. I suggest checking out that thread!

GutsNGlory
Jan. 6, 2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks! I had done a search on this forum, but in my end-of-the-day fog, didn't think about checking the Dressage forum (duh!).

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 6, 2011, 01:23 PM
I have the app for the 2010 USEA event tests....and it is pretty good.

I just use it when I need to review the test for practice or at a show. Easier to find then a hard copy for me.

Lisa Cook
Jan. 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
What makes the app so special, out of curiosity? I've had dressage lessons before when my instructor wants to review the test I'm riding and I pull it up on my droid from the USEA website to review right there on the spot. No special app needed.

To be truthful, the situation usually goes like this.

Instructor: OK you have an event in 2 days. Which dressage test are you riding?

Me: I have no idea. One of the Novice ones. I'm pretty sure I entered Novice.

Instructor: Uh, when do you plan on knowing which test you are riding? Don't you think we should review it?

Me: I can look it up right now!

Take out my phone, pull up the USEA website, go to the online omnibus, confirm that I am indeed, entered for Novice and will be riding test B. Yay me!

Then I go to dressage tests on the USEA website, download the proper dressage test PDF file and review on the spot with the riding instructor.

Takes maybe 2 minutes. Piece of cake! :)

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
Takes maybe 2 minutes. Piece of cake! :)

Takes less than a second with the app...and there are diagrams of the ring. I need those sometimes too.

You can also record or have it read aloud to you. That can be helpful when first schooling the test...or at least it helps me since I'm often riding alone.

Do you need it....of course not. But I've found it useful...and for me, it was worth $10 bucks. Might not be worth it for someone else.

ETA: I used to have a book of the tests that I had bought from the USEF...this was akin to that book for me and cost the same. Very handy if you are riding at different levels on more than one horse.

Lisa Cook
Jan. 6, 2011, 02:07 PM
Takes less than a second with the app...and there are diagrams of the ring. I need those sometimes too.

Well, the 2 minute part including looking at the event to see what I had entered myself in and which test was required for my level. :) Once the pdf is on my phone, it takes just a second to click & open.

Phones are amazing things. More than once last summer, I could see the updated standings on the internet via my phone way before they were posted at the event venue.

Sometimes I even use my phone to make phone calls, too.

GutsNGlory
Jan. 6, 2011, 02:18 PM
Sometimes I even use my phone to make phone calls, too.

Ah... the days before my iPhone! I just got the sucker about a month ago, so I've been doing the normal new toy thing (Note: previously, I was about the least savvy 22 y.o. you'd ever meet - no texting, no internet, nada!).

I really like to draw my tests - it's the best way for me to memorize. My mom bought me a tiny dry erase board when I was 10 or 11 and first started going to events and I loved it.

So I'm still contemplating. I'll have to print all of the new tests for the year anyway, and then make sure I have paper and pen handy. Maybe it would just be easier, for the money, to just put it on my phone and have it right there. Hmmm..

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 6, 2011, 02:20 PM
Ah... the days before my iPhone! I just got the sucker about a month ago, so I've been doing the normal new toy thing (Note: previously, I was about the least savvy 22 y.o. you'd ever meet - no texting, no internet, nada!).

I really like to draw my tests - it's the best way for me to memorize. My mom bought me a tiny dry erase board when I was 10 or 11 and first started going to events and I loved it.

So I'm still contemplating. I'll have to print all of the new tests for the year anyway, and then make sure I have paper and pen handy. Maybe it would just be easier, for the money, to just put it on my phone and have it right there. Hmmm..

that App has diagrams already done for each movement of each test....if you are visual person...it is pretty handy.

Then links to the rules if you need them (dressage and eventing). What did we do before smart phones!!!

(so it has a break down test movements and scoring, a pdf of the official test in the familar format, diagrams of each movement, links to rules...and will play a reading of the test for you to listen to while riding if you want or lets you record your own.)

GutsNGlory
Jan. 6, 2011, 04:44 PM
Okay. I think I'm convinced. Sounds like it could come in handy this season since I plan on showing more. Plus, it would be great for at home during schooling sessions.

Now if only I could teach DM to use my iPhone so she can manage it while I ride at shows... ;)

Thank you so much for all of the info! If there are any other really helpful riding apps you suggest, please let me know.

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 6, 2011, 04:46 PM
I just bought it and really like it so far, though I haven't used it yet. But it sure makes me feel better since I always have an "oh crap I am blanking on my test" moment before I get on for my tests. :yes: