PDA

View Full Version : spin off - how do you do it?

Brandy76
Jan. 5, 2011, 04:16 PM
So I don't even have children, just a full time job with an hour commute, two horses at home, and I feel like... if I am awake, I'm moving.

Example: home from work last night at 7:00 pm. Dinner, fold laundry, (or other chores) late check, bed.

This am: 5:00 am up, tea, news, 25 min on treadmill, haul pony 5 min to indoor, ride for 40 min (or ride at home, but ground is frozen now). Return home, ponies out, stalls, trailer cleaned out. Shower, one hour commute.

Rinse, repeat. Unless I work until 8 or 9 pm. Then, I just stop at the barn for late check, depending on the time, on the way in the driveway.

By Friday, I am a turnip. Any ideas? Or is it just me? I am not sure how to keep from feeling overwhelmed. don't mean to whine, and I have a wonderful DH who is a great help.

I haven't even slotted in time for the greenie yet, wasn't even going to think about that til spring, and he has had his "track let down" time.

I am amazed and in awe of those who have children to add to the above.

bigbaytb
Jan. 5, 2011, 04:30 PM
I feel your pain. I have 2 horses, full time job (I travel alot) but I board my horses which helps.

However, I suggest this: It looks like you are riding everyday? Lucky dog...but maybe ride one less day just to give you some you time on wed or thurs? or just work in hand with one or both horses. You can also start making time to work with your greenie by ponying in the indoor. That helped with me when I was short on time..and I'm going to start doing that again (i've moved to a barn that has alot of trails and hack with one in tow would shorten barn time.

If you mix it up, it might keep you fresh too...

Eventcrazy
Jan. 5, 2011, 05:55 PM
Another one here!

Hour to work and hour home. Pony's are at a friends house only 12 min's away from me. But I leave for work when it's dark and get home when it's dark! Ride when I can and try to go out during the week to work one or both in the round pen which is lighted. My friend helps me out with one and works him some durning the week for me.

My up and comer is now 4. So I am trying to make more time for her. She only has 5 rides and is amazing me every ride.

Just wish there was more time in the day and light this time of the year!

Brandy76
Jan. 5, 2011, 06:05 PM
I do skip days with all, the treadmill, the rides, etc. It does help, maybe because sometimes I feel burned out with it.

I've had the horses home for 3 years now, and don't regret it. I do wish, though, that I could afford to board them both out during the winter, even if it's just a couple of months. But around here, it's about $750 per month per horse, and that's a little rich for my blood!

It does help to prepare, too. I scoop out breakfast for the horses for the whole week, and put them in large zip locks. Then, during the week, I just grab them, and feed them in the fields. They are in their own fields that border each other.

And I finally am at peace with maybe the barn not being swept spick and span every day. I'm learning to deal with that. Really. I can walk away from it. Anytime. Really!

NMK
Jan. 5, 2011, 06:13 PM
No kids here, but its still a balancing act. In past years I have just given the horses time off. You can make yourself crazy trying to do everything you would do when there is more daylight. And realistically, some time off can be good for all of us.

Winter is, for me, when I put everything in "the bank"--time with spouse, time doing housey things, time at work, time to with the other critters, and of course money not spent competing. That way when the event season opens, I can get away easier and feel I'm ahead of the game a little.

Don't try and keep the same schedule all year long. You will make yourself nuts (been there, done that).

Nancy

retreadeventer
Jan. 5, 2011, 09:46 PM
It's so hard sometimes, it depresses me. I can't ride every day in the winter at all any more. I too am in awe of those with children! How do they do it?

deltawave
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:00 PM
Skip the tea, the news, the late check. :) Try not to skip the showers. :lol:

Fold laundry? Pfft. Husbands can do that. Along with housework, cooking, shopping, etc. ;)

Seriously, unless it's NFL Sunday and there are games on that I like, or the Kentucky Derby, I almost never watch TV. Gigantic time-suck.

I don't think I could hack a long commute. Several weeks a year I do go to a downtown hospital (40 minute drive) for teaching duties, and although I love those weeks, I can pretty much kiss the horses good-bye other than feed-and-mucking during that interval. Doing it day in and day out? Would not be possible to keep my farm going with that kind of daily time-drain. :no:

fireandice
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum

Don't fold the laundry?

Mukluk
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:18 PM
I am single, no kids, and work full time (commute 30 minutes each way) only have one horse and that is all that I feel I can afford time and money wise. I like to take lots of time with her and would not have to "rush" from one horse to another. If I could have my way, I would love to be able to work less or not at all and devote more time to my horse, and possibly another one. I would also like to spend more time doing things that I used to do before I got my horse (kayaking, surfing, running, triathlons, etc) and things I haven't done much of yet like traveling outside the US. Yes indeed, I would be a very happy lottery winner if I only had the chance!!!

TSHEventing
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:24 PM
6:00 up
Drop of Kid @ day care
1/2 hr drive to lab (work), arrive @ 730
Leave lab @ 3:30
Ride two horses 4-6 pm
Workout 6-645
Cook dinner w/ hubby
feed horses and tuck everyone in
830 -put kid to bed
9-12 (or 1, or 2, or 3) study/finish any work I have.

scubed
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:45 PM
No kids, haircuts twice a year, a 12 minute alarm clock to out the door routine. Fabulous DH who cooks, does laundry and pays for the cleaning lady (though not a penny toward my riding habit)

5:30 up, out at 5:45 either straight to work or to gym or running for an hour, (15 minute walk to work, 30 minutes from gym), work until noonish, off to ride (3 out of 5 weekdays and both weekend days), back at work 3ish until 6ish, yoga or gym for an hour, home to eat (whatever DH has or nuked stuff), an hour or two of work/emails/COTH/, to bed 9:30ish with novel and football/basketball/baseball on the radio for 30-60 minutes.

ZiggyStardust
Jan. 5, 2011, 11:25 PM
Don't try and keep the same schedule all year long. You will make yourself nuts (been there, done that).

I think I'm finally figuring this one out. It's awful trying to get up and be motivated when it's still dark at 7:30 a.m. here. Board horse, but have hour commute from work to horse and another 15 min home. Trying to do minimum 50 hour work weeks, stay fitter than riding level fit, ride enough, spend time with fiance, do horse and human laundry, maybe clean house once in a while, and then be able to sit back and soak in my enjoyment is hellish during the winter.

On the flip side, in the summer I'm happy as a clam with less sleep, staying out at the barn until 9:30, going extra days because it's still light out. Realizing I have to be flexible and not keep trying to jam the summer peg in the winter hole!

Brandy76 - you're definitely not the only one! It's hard to do it all and still feel like you're enjoying it. Also, I've always wanted to tell you I love your bottom sig - I've tried to keep it in the back of my head; it is very true!

slp2
Jan. 5, 2011, 11:31 PM
Sleep is overrated. ;) That's what I cut down on to keep up with my schedule! Full time job, with 2 horses. I alternate riding one horse every day during the week, and both horses get ridden on weekend days.

Up at 6 am to head to work and I go straight to the barn after work to ride. Usually get home around 8. Dinner happens around 8:30 or 9. After that, dishes, and anything else that needs to get done (laundry, bills, whatever). But my hubby works from home so when he isn't traveling, he is a big help (although he rarely makes dinner). We also have a cleaning person comes twice a month (love that!) and a neighbor guy does our mowing in the summer. So we pay for some of the stuff we can't seem to keep up with. The one thing I do wish I could fit in is more time to work out. I do that a few days a week, but want to do more. I just gotta cut back on that annoying sleeping . . . .

JER
Jan. 5, 2011, 11:59 PM
If what you've described isn't *really* the life you want, you can go easier on yourself. It doesn't have to be so exhausting.

Skip the treadmill - you could sleep an extra half hour. (I hate treadmills). For extra fitness, you could do much shorter bodyweight circuits which can be done anywhere/time.

Also, invest in a sunrise alarm clock. It makes waking up in the dark infinitely more pleasant.

Ride less. Americans tend to ride a lot, like everyday. In NZ, I was surprised that working people would ride 2 or 3 times/week and still compete at P or I. If your horses have turn-out, they'll be fine on a lighter schedule.

bambam
Jan. 6, 2011, 10:40 AM
I do it by adhering to the theory that I will rest when I am dead ;):lol:
I do it by cutting some corners (fold laundry? heck I not only do not fold, I do not put it away- just leave the clean clothes in the laundy basket). It is possible that my cleaning lady (comes every other week) is my favorite person.
My typical weekday when the ponies are sound: get up around 5, go to rowing practice (the fact that I ride and row by definition means I am mentally unbalanced so take this whole post with a grain of salt :D), get to work around 8:30 or 9, work until about 6:30 or 7 pm, drive straight to the barn from work (about an hour), ride 1 horse, go home, go to bed. Rinse, repeat.
Hopefully, catch up on sleep and social life (outside of rowing and riding buddies) on the weekend- although that does not work so well on weekends where I am competing and/or working.
I also cut myself some slack. If I don't make it out for 5 rides in a week- so be it. Either the horse gets an extra day off or I ask one of my friends to hop on her for ride. When I am on a serious conditioning schedule, then I build in days where somebody else rides her. Also, if I am too tired, I blow off rowing practice. Frankly, if things get too crazy, I can always drop the rowing completely.
Also, naps are your friend ;)

bigbaytb
Jan. 6, 2011, 11:02 AM
brandy..oh, even though I have a full time job (with lots of travel) and hubby has full time..I pay all the bills (joint account) and do everything in the house and do the marketing..I was loosing my mind...and hubby just couldn't find the time to help...so...some things that have helped me not feel so overwhelmed.

hubby agreed to a maid every 2 weeks to scrub bathrooms and clean house. I still do things in between, but made it less of an issue. He didnt like the fact that I was making him clean the house with me.

laundry..sometimes I start it, he finishes it...I leave him his laundry to put away..now he tries to help with laundry.

marketing..well, if I haven't had time to go to the market, we run out of stuff...he's learned not say "where out of.." and instead, go to the store and do some marketing.....

Many times for dinner, I will cook on a day and freeze servings. makes for fast and dinners. Hubby is excellent about doing dishes...I cook, he puts all away afterwards..that works out great!

don't worry about the winter riding. That was a new one for me to learn when I moved to a new barn. huge indoor, but i'm the only one who uses it and it's old and dusty. so i limit a ride a week in there. if i can get to the barn around 4 and get a friend to go, we'll take my horses for a hack and both horses get worked at once.....

but you don't have to do everything every day..it's ok to say no to yourself!..

But I am inspired by you all who get up and work out first thing. I'm getting fitter and decided that i'll need to go to the gym in the AM instead of PM to get there more. Thank you all for that!

nrg
Jan. 6, 2011, 11:11 AM
I do it by adhering to the theory that I will rest when I am dead ;):lol:
I do it by cutting some corners (fold laundry? heck I not only do not fold, I do not put it away- just leave the clean clothes in the laundy basket).

I don't put my laundry away either! :lol: I fold it up and then leave it in the laundry basket. It drives my hubby nuts but I figure if he cares that much he can put it away for me!

cranky
Jan. 6, 2011, 11:42 AM
I work a lot of hours usually, but I don't have much of a commute (and can work from home), so that is a huge saving of time & stress for me. Really, if I had any kind of a significant commute, I don't know how I would handle it.

Anyway, I typically go to work pretty early, but then many days have a little leeway in the afternoon, so I usually try to leave for the barn by 4:30. When I come home, I have to have a bit of down time, I can't just go straight to bed, so I like to read or watch some TV for an hour.

A typical weekday for me is:

* Up by 5-5:30.
* At work by around 7.
* Run or some workout on lunch hour.
* 2-3 PM go home and finish last couple hours of work from home (and while I'm doing that I very often will also throw in a load of laundry).
* Barn 4:30/5 - 7:30/8 (includes driving there & back)
* Dinner, some TV/reading. In bed (hopefully) by 9:30. Sometimes I have to log back into work however, depends on what's going on.

There are some days that I may not go to the barn, so I may workout in the evening instead. During the Winter it changes a lot, my horse is going down to SC with my trainer (on Friday), so I'll use these next few months to shake up the routine some. Run more, maybe take some spinning classes and do some other gym stuff I don't usually have time for. Most of all, I am not going to feel guilty about having some added down time!

hey101
Jan. 6, 2011, 12:38 PM
Many of your schedules sound similar to mine pre-kids- long work hours, working out AND riding every day. I look back on those days with wistful fondness at how much free time I had! And I even had a 9acre farm with 6 horses to manage! :lol:

Honestly, if you do plan to have kids, or if they show up unexpectedly like it did for me (huh, it's been awhile since I had my period... holy shit I'm PREGNANT! :cool:) just be aware that SOMETHING will have to give. It just will. There are simply not enough hours in the day unless you are one of those lucky few who truly only need 3 hours of sleep (I know someone like this and I greatly envy him! :lol:). For me, I now only workout OR ride my horse on any given day (check out the recent Rider Fitness Accountability Thread- I do those 4-minute workouts frequently and seriously, I have not lost much fitness... I did a long run this past weekend after weeks of only doing the short workouts, and I rocked that long run- SOOOO happy about that! Thanks JER...) . I almost never watch TV. I don't read nearly as much as I used to (because once I start to read something, bombs could go off around me and I won't notice). I have always been organized but now I am SUPER-organized or else I'd be perpetually running around like a headless chicken. When I'm in the car driving I am planning my work projects in my head and keeping track of my "to-do's" in my various lives (mommy, horse, work, household manager) so that when I get to my next destination, I can execute with no time wasted. Facebook is one of the greatest things ever invented because I can keep up wiht all my friends very easily, so I don't need to send long emails or make long phonecalls that much any more (I find talking on the phone to be VERY time consuming!) I read COTH far less often that I used to :eek:, (except for when I get sucked into ridiculous trainwrecks ala Coal Creek :D). I used to clean my tack every ride in my pre-kid days, and now it's more like once a month (who am I kidding, it's really once a quarter!) Those folks who have mentioned on the other thread that they have kids AND a full-time job AND a farm to manage... well those people I bow down to, because that's truly amazing. I do not know how I'd be able to do all the things I do now and still be in our farm. I don't know what would have had to give at that point, but for sure, something would.

Someone else mentioned about how they are never bored- so true, I relish any downtime I get now (so I can keep up with ridiculous COTH trainwrecks!)

Mukluk
Jan. 6, 2011, 02:58 PM
Sleep is overrated. ;) That's what I cut down on to keep up with my schedule! Full time job, with 2 horses.

I completely disagree (I know you have a wink after your statement but I think some people actually think it's a good idea to cut back on sleep). I am crabby and don't function well if I don't get enough sleep. It is true that individual sleep requirements differ with some people doing just fine on 4 hours and others requiring 12. Unfortunately for me, I like to get at least 8 hours and preferably 9. With my busy life, I wish I required less sleep!

Lack of sleep can create serious problems.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/important-sleep-habits

I think it's all about quality of life. I suppose some people are happy racing about all of their waking hours but I need my time to sit and/or putter about every so often. Sometimes coming straight home instead of going to the barn is the best thing I can do for my mental health..... Other times spending quality time with my girl is the best thing I can do for my mental health. I just go by what feels right. I am riding less this winter due to having to study for professional exams/lack of day light but that will be over soon. What I don't do much of at all is housework!!!

Brandy76
Jan. 6, 2011, 04:50 PM
If what you've described isn't *really* the life you want, you can go easier on yourself. It doesn't have to be so exhausting.

Skip the treadmill - you could sleep an extra half hour. (I hate treadmills). For extra fitness, you could do much shorter bodyweight circuits which can be done anywhere/time.

Also, invest in a sunrise alarm clock. It makes waking up in the dark infinitely more pleasant.

Ride less. Americans tend to ride a lot, like everyday. In NZ, I was surprised that working people would ride 2 or 3 times/week and still compete at P or I. If your horses have turn-out, they'll be fine on a lighter schedule.

The thing is, I do love my life, it's just sometimes a bit overwhelming!
Although there have been some great suggestions here.

This was all so easy when I was in my 30's. Now that I am in my late 40's, the energy level is not quite the same. I have always been pretty driven, and accused of being the energizer bunny, but I can certainly tell the difference.

To be honest, the best therapy I've gotten is the positive comments from everyone here! I knew I wasn't alone, so that's why I threw this out there.

And I will admit, I have actually started to just veg on the sofa on the occassional Saturday.

I guess the riding, I wish I were more consistent, even in summer. four days a week is my average. I keep thinking back to when I was more driven, and did 6 days/5days as my ride schedule. I was going T then, so I guess I think I need to be there now in order to move up some- damn-day! We are going BN now, hope to move up this year.

see, there I go, making plans, silly me. PLEASE DO NOT TELL MY HORSE, lest he do something self destructive!:winkgrin:

Mtn trails
Jan. 6, 2011, 04:54 PM
In my case, I have a 1-1/2 hour commute by car and train so up at 5:15, drive to station, catch train at 6:45. Work 8:00 - 4:25, reverse commute; home by 6:00, feed animals, cook dinner. And that doesn't even include working out or anything else. It's pitch dark when I get up and pitch dark when I get home and I would like to ride but I have to hook up and haul out to do so unless I hooked up the trailer the night before. Right now I'm riding maybe two days on the weekend and not at all during the week which isn't going to do me well if I want to do novice this year. I need to get my ass in gear and just get out and do it.