PDA

View Full Version : Best place to sell used horse stuff

filly78
Jan. 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
I'm slowly selling off all of my horse stuff and have a few pairs of slightly used breeches that I'd like to sell. Ebay is a pain and people on Craigslist are too weird, so I'm trying to figure out how to sell them. There is a local consignment shop right near our farm, but they keep 35%! :eek: Are there any good websites to sell horse stuff?

katarine
Jan. 5, 2011, 12:38 PM
tacktrader

horsepoor
Jan. 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
Bits and Barter board:
http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/index.cgi

Tacktrader.com

Depending where you are, there might be free classifieds offered by local horse organizations, like here the Region IV dressage website has classifieds on its website.

paintlady
Jan. 5, 2011, 03:37 PM
There is a local consignment shop right near our farm, but they keep 35%! :eek:

35% sounds about right. The Middleburg Tack Exchange is our local consignment shop. They keep 40% on clothing.

I have a bunch of breeches to sell myself after losing (and keeping off) 40 lbs. I'm going to do the eBay route myself.

citydog
Jan. 5, 2011, 04:02 PM
I've had great luck with the classifieds right here on CotH.

NJRider
Jan. 5, 2011, 05:16 PM
There is a lot of activity here, only downside is there are no categories. I have had better luck here than bits n barter or tack trader

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/equine-classifieds/

xQHDQ
Jan. 5, 2011, 07:23 PM
Even though Ebay+Paypal takes way too much in fees, it is still less than any tack shop and it reaches a national, if not international audience. I've had a lot of luck selling both horse and nonhorse stuff on the site.

Haltatx17
Jan. 5, 2011, 09:05 PM
Oooh, may I ask what size they are? ;)

I usually buy used tack / riding clothes (as long as they aren't TOO dirty/stained) LOL... I have seen some pretty bad used ones on Ebay before. However, I have bought breeches on there and have had good luck thus far. I don't know what brand and size yours are, but breeches seem to sell pretty good on there. The fees aren't too steep, either, like a consignment tack shop would take. It's worth a try! Just remember to upload a picture - nothing seems to sell unless people can actually see it.

johnnysauntie
Jan. 5, 2011, 11:39 PM
another vote for horsegroomingsupplies.com - I've sold several items quickly through that board. It's a huge group.

NJRider
Jan. 6, 2011, 09:14 AM
another vote for horsegroomingsupplies.com - I've sold several items quickly through that board. It's a huge group.
That group is really huge! I just wish there were sub-categories for the classifieds. If you place an ad, it gets buried by the end of the day!

ASB Stars
Jan. 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
Equine Exchange on Rt. 23.

horsepoor
Jan. 6, 2011, 12:39 PM

I've looked at this a couple of times in the past, but it is just too hard to really locate anything when there are no subcategories. Probably some good bargains buried in there, but it just took too much time to find anything.

blackhorsegirl
Jan. 7, 2011, 08:36 AM
Have great luck with Middleburg Tack Exchange. I don't care if they keep 40%. Stuff gets sold and they mail me a check. What's not to like? The stuff is used, it's out of my closet, and I have a few dollars extra in my wallet.

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
Ebay is great, but those fees are a killer. Then Paypal takes a fee for the transaction. I will always try the free way first.

johnnysauntie
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
I've looked at this a couple of times in the past, but it is just too hard to really locate anything when there are no subcategories. Probably some good bargains buried in there, but it just took too much time to find anything.

I know, that was my first impression too, but I'm here to tell you, it works. By day I do social media marketing. So, when I had stuff to sell - I naturally gravitated toward social networks. And while I still think eBay is the way to go with bigger ticket items like saddles, it's not ideal for clearing out the junk. What worked for me - excellent pictures of the items for sale, descriptive language, and - most important - one post for each item. No "Lots of horse stuff for sale" posts. Each item got its own post, with a descriptive subject line e.g. "Black breast plate, barely used." That makes it easy for people to scan the listings - and also for your item to be found in the sites search, and in search engine listings. I was astounded at how quickly things moved via that site.

I did use PayPal and didn't ship until I received payment.

hoopoe
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:45 AM
Both our USDF Region and our local GMO have web sites with classifieds.

You may wish to look around your regions hunter jumper and dressage/three day organizations and see if they have web sites with classifieds

you can print and take fliers to horse shows

These require effort and if you want to just be done and be over with it, a consignment is worth the money you pay

there is a 4H club here than holds an annual sale. Everyone saves their stuff and the sale is a HUGE door buster. I think their take is 10 - 15%

everytime I send stuff I nearly sell out.

Check your states 4H web site and poke around to see if anyone has a sale

SonnysMom
Jan. 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
http://www.ludwigsriding.org/calendar2010.php

If you are willing to wait for mid-April Ludwig's Corner Riding and Driving club is having a tack swap. I think they charge about $10 or $15 per table.

Oop- I posted the 2010 calendar. The 2011 is up yet. I think they have a tack swap about the same time every year.