PDA

View Full Version : BC Tex Eventer durability

Tucked_Away
Jan. 5, 2011, 08:11 AM
I know some folks here have Black Country saddles... I just received a demo Tex Eventer to try out and I'm simultaneously impressed and terrified by the softness of the leather. Sure looks (haven't been to the barn with it yet--that's tonight) gorgeous and comfy! But how do these wear over time/with use?

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:23 AM
I can't say anything about the tex eventer specifically, but I LOVE my BC's. I got a Wexford a year and a half ago and it still is buttery soft and looks brand new. I would recommend the calfskin lined leathers to minimize the markings, but.. you know, every saddle gets rubs from the leathers. Mine isn't as bad as I expected at all! Honestly, I think my dressage saddle is worse. (granted it's older, but still).

They do recommend you use creams and not oils, but mine still looks and feels fantastic. And hey.. no breaking it in :)

Incidentally...I have a 17" MW tree BC Wexford. It's chocolate brown, the soft printed leather, and the most comfortable saddle in the world. It's for sale as my horse prefers the vinici by a hair. Let me know if you want to try it. :)

But yep.. I wouldn't worry about them holding up. Though I did too at first :)

cllane1
Jan. 5, 2011, 05:03 PM
I can't say anything about the tex eventer specifically, but I LOVE my BC's. I got a Wexford a year and a half ago and it still is buttery soft and looks brand new. I would recommend the calfskin lined leathers to minimize the markings, but.. you know, every saddle gets rubs from the leathers. Mine isn't as bad as I expected at all! Honestly, I think my dressage saddle is worse. (granted it's older, but still).

They do recommend you use creams and not oils, but mine still looks and feels fantastic. And hey.. no breaking it in :)

Incidentally...I have a 17" MW tree BC Wexford. It's chocolate brown, the soft printed leather, and the most comfortable saddle in the world. It's for sale as my horse prefers the vinici by a hair. Let me know if you want to try it. :)

I'm looking at some BC options too. Did you think the Wexford was forward enough for xc? It's billed as an all purpose.

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 5, 2011, 08:52 PM
Yes. I loved my position in it. I schooled prelim and ran training in it. It's got a bit of a flatter longer seat I think... which is what my horse needs, but... I really liked it for XC. And LOVED it for fitness days ;)

Here's a pic of me jumping in it....I don't have super long femurs so that may be why it worked so well for me....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=347516100966&set=a.238669045966.141110.730570966

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=433798360966&set=a.429432935966.230019.730570966

Don't know if that helps or not..... I think there are a few threads on how it's not as "all purpose" as it seems. Definitely not like the wintec all purpose!

Tucked_Away
Jan. 6, 2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks much for the offer, Fleck, and I am tempted, but sadly, I _do_ have freakish femurs, so a 17" would be unlikely to work out for me. :(

Actually, after hacking in the Tex, I think the Quantum I had on trial previously worked better for me. Which I find really surprising--the only reason I didn't snap the Quantum up then and there was because the Tex sounded like something I'd like even better. Final judgment reserved until I can do a real schooling ride in it, but it's lookin' like there's one more round of saddle swapping in my future. And then we will hopefully have completed the process of making sure Tucker's back stays happy, now that we've got it back to right!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 6, 2011, 10:31 AM
Glad you found something that works :) It's a major pain isn't it?! Fleck's back is just about perfect in the wexford, but not quite... so I am selling it and bought the vinici. Sigh... now I think it's actually his dressage saddle that's causing the minor tweak I can't get rid of. Sigh....

I was going to say that I thought Cookiepony had a tex, that had a bigger seat too, but.. if you like the quantum better... stick with it :)

armyeventer
Jan. 6, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have an 18 inch monoflap BC Tex Eventer and it's fantastic! I have long femurs and have NEVER had a saddle that fit me right until now. It's amazing what a difference the right saddle makes. I'd never realized how much easier it is to stay with the horse when you can get your leg in the right position (and actually have it STAY there!) That was kind of my "duh" moment...

horsewhisperer
Jan. 6, 2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks much for the offer, Fleck, and I am tempted, but sadly, I _do_ have freakish femurs, so a 17" would be unlikely to work out for me. :(

I have super long femurs too, but also needed a 17". My saddle fitter just customized the flap to be 2" forward to accomodate my "freakish femurs." So far it has worked out great!

I love the leather! It is so soft! The only thing I've noticed is that it rubs and scuffs easily. I keep mine inside and covered all the time though.

CookiePony
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:43 PM
I have super long femurs too, but also needed a 17". My saddle fitter just customized the flap to be 2" forward to accomodate my "freakish femurs." So far it has worked out great!

That's what I have-- a 17" Tex Eventer that was customized to be extra forward. It *almost* fits, and I've been riding in it for 2 years, but is a little too small. It is now for sale.

Just as with anything else from Black Country, you can customize the leather. Mine is Vintage, but Trumbull Mtn. sells them in Buffalo with reverse doe seat and knee pads as standard.