PDA

View Full Version : fixing a bite mark in a happy mouth bit

Sonoma City
Jan. 5, 2011, 07:48 AM
My horse chomped on his happy mouth bit the other day and it left a sharp divit in the bit. I tried to sand it down, but the material is too hard so I can't get it smooth. Does anyone have any tricks to smooth them out when they get nicks in them? Does heat work?

pwynnnorman
Jan. 5, 2011, 07:59 AM
Oh, same here! Except mine was what I thought is an expensive nathe bit (I don't think that any more--I bought it used).

I am thinking of using a fine, quality rasp, like that used for pipe fittings, and then a layer or two of latex. I'd love to hear from folks if that will ruin the effect of the material used.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 5, 2011, 09:18 AM
I use a dremmel tool to smooth things down.

SmartAlex
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:32 AM
I rasped, then sanded, then wrapped with latex.

Horse ate the latex (never in ALL my years!)

I bought a steel bit...horse learned not to chomp :)

Carried Away
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:43 PM
Anyone know if latex is legal for eventing dressage? Couldn't find any mention of it in the rule book... Any experiences??

Janet
Jan. 17, 2012, 11:36 PM
Anyone know if latex is legal for eventing dressage? Couldn't find any mention of it in the rule book... Any experiences??
Wrapping in latex is legal for Eventing Dressage, NOT for straight Dressage.

(Compare the wording in the dressage rules with the wording in the eventing rules. Or call the USEA or USEF for clarification.)

Toadie's mom
Jan. 17, 2012, 11:48 PM

this

Toadie's mom
Jan. 17, 2012, 11:53 PM

this

HUSGal
Jan. 18, 2012, 03:32 AM
Dremmel. When I was in a bind once, farriers rasp followed by nail file. No joke. LOL

JackW
Jan. 18, 2012, 07:59 AM
Janet,
The consensus of several TD's that I have talked with was that wrapping a bit with sealtex is NOT legal for dressage in eventing.

Janet
Jan. 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
Janet,
The consensus of several TD's that I have talked with was that wrapping a bit with sealtex is NOT legal for dressage in eventing.

Interesting. One of the TDs I apprenticed with said it was legal.

That just reinforces the suggestion to check with USEA or USEF.

eventer_mi
Jan. 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
Janet, I was under the same impression, and so I looked it up in the newest rulebook online. There is nothing that says that you can wrap a bit in latex/Sealtex, so I guess it's not legal.

Interesting that they had a diagram of a Micklem in the accepted nosebands/cavessons!

Carried Away
Jan. 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys! I am trying to convert a regular broken happy mouth boucher into more of a mullen boucher so was hoping I could use the latex to make it all one piece.

If you ever come across a duo or Nathe in a boucher, please let me know!

vineyridge
Jan. 18, 2012, 10:57 AM
cordless Dremel is an excellent tool to carry in a trailer. It's useful for more than just grinding down uneven plastic bits. Another good tool to carry is the new cordless all purpose tools that cut by vibrating and work like a cast cutting saw. Also good for many, many things.