PDA

View Full Version : Hotel for Poplar??

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 4, 2011, 08:08 PM
Does anyone have an suggestions for a hotel near Poplar? I made a reservation for the Holiday Inn Express in Columbus, but there has to be somewhere cheaper to stay at! It is my first time showing down in that neck of the woods.

eponacowgirl
Jan. 4, 2011, 08:15 PM
Stay in Pine Mountain- I think my cohorts liked the White Columns when we were there.

DON'T stay at Days Inn, we had the most. horrible. stay. ever. the last time I was there and we've been staying there for years. New management.

Eventing_Rocks
Jan. 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
The Hyatt Place is really nice and you can get a special rate if you ask for the Poplar Place Farm rate I think the rate is 94 a night. :)

subk
Jan. 4, 2011, 08:20 PM
One of eponacowgirl's cohorts here.

Look into Pine Mountain there are a couple places. I stayed at the White Column Motel last fall and will go back. It's a family owned, non-chain, drive up to your door motor inn with a dozen or so rooms. It is NOT fancy. It is clean, cheap and the beds are very comfortable. The 60's veneer is covered with a coat of paint and that's about all. I love that kind of place, but it's not for everyone.

http://www.whitecolumnsmotel.com/

There's a good local Mexican restaurant just down the street and a local fern bar. Ecowgirl can tell you the name--order the shrimp and grits. (Can you tell I like to go to locally owned businesses?)

scubed
Jan. 4, 2011, 08:48 PM
some time ago, but last time I was there, I stayed here:
http://www.chipleymurrah.com/magnolia.php

I always like doing the B&B thing instead of hotel, especially when price is about the same

Pascova
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:02 PM
We love Days Inn Pine Mtn-- make your own waffle for bfast. Also have stayed at some cabins in Pine Mtn when we had a group-- nice to have a kitchen. You can also stay at Callaway Gardens for a decent rate and the rooms are nice. I would hate to drive all the way to Columbus. There are also some nice b&bs in pine mountain and hamilton-- right there at Poplar. Good luck!

wsmoak
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'm all of 20 minutes away from Poplar -- one day when we finish moving in (as in, when I have real curtains on the windows,) we'll have to do a COTH sleepover!

I second Pine Mountain instead of Columbus -- much prettier drive back and forth.

KBG Eventer
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
http://poplarplacefarm.com/guestservices.html

We usually stay the Valley Inn. It's right down the street, and the family who owns it is so cute! The grandmother usually cooks breakfast, and she will make pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, etc. And they make dinner too. It's nothing fancy, but it was fun having spaghetti and meatballs and salad with them and then Grandma's "Pineapple Dump Cake" for dessert! :)

eponacowgirl
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:24 PM
We also stayed at Fireside Inn, Pine Mountain- nice, homey, locally owned.

The little Mexican place is right across the road... the grill is called... Aspen Mountain Grill, I think.

There's also a little diner across the way... more good food there... but Aspen Mountain Grill (in the same strip as KFC) is a MUST.

Eventcrazy
Jan. 5, 2011, 09:53 AM
Another vote for the White Columns! Stayed there the last few times we have gone. Dog friendly!!!

Hyatt Place is really nice but pricey and we call it the 100 dollar dog place. They charge 100 for dogs!

Use to stay at the valley inn but they have now banned dogs!

Don't know if you where looking for a dog friendly place but there you go!

Don't go eventing without my side kick Darby (welsh corgi)!

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 5, 2011, 11:28 AM
Thank you so much! I have a room for half as much at White Column! Much better for my college kid budget :)

Noctis
Jan. 5, 2011, 04:16 PM
I always stay at the Pine Mountain Day's Inn... always nice!

Auto Be A Storm
Jan. 5, 2011, 04:42 PM
we get a bunch of people together and rent a cabin in pine mt. At the pine mt chalet...they are pretty nice

RunForIt
Jan. 5, 2011, 05:18 PM
Valley Inn...close, comfortable, and great showers! :cool: