PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Hill

TSHEventing
Jan. 4, 2011, 08:40 PM
Anyone know what he is up to these days? has he made a recovery?

Toadie's mom
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:27 PM
I hear he's doing quite well:D He's giving a clinic at Pine Hill in S. TX. 15-16Jan., and I'm really bummed that I won't be able to go:(

elizabeth Callahan
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:50 PM
I took a clinic with him in October here in MD and he seemed very much just the way he was before the accident. Very insightful about the horses and still has a great eye

Inese
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ralph will be doing a clininc in Northern Illinois (west of Chicago) in March.
Details at http://www.feathercreek.net/feathercreek/Welcome.html

maxxtrot
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
erika, he is doing great. he was teaching here last year when i had more boarders. would love to have him back, just need more people to sign up for the lessons :)

TSHEventing
Jan. 4, 2011, 10:22 PM
excellent! He apparently moved to a farm about 20 minutes from me here just north of Gainesville, I thought I would take up the opportunity to start riding with him since he is so close! Can anyone pm me email/phone number?

Carried Away
Jan. 4, 2011, 11:55 PM
Ralph is the best!!! I learned more from lessons with him than I have from everyone else combined...you are so lucky to have him close by!!! :)

TotB
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:26 PM
I just watched him teach riders all afternoon on the cross country at Longwood- he looks great! So nice to see him back at it.

Carol Ames
Jan. 5, 2011, 11:55 PM
Such wonderful :cool:news! Please tell hm "Hi for me; "His recovery gives me hope:yes:

foxhavenfarm
Jan. 6, 2011, 08:54 PM
Erika, you really should go ride with him- he is great! Plus, you could get some dressage lessons from Andrew Harbison!

Langfuhr
Jan. 7, 2011, 01:18 AM
Where about in Gainesville is he?

nirvana002
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
Linnea - I guess there has been some big time bad blood between ralph and Andrew..... I have no idea what happened, but I've heard from riders that Andrew has been explicitly telling people not to go anywhere near Ralph. There are two sides to every story. That is why he is not with them anymore, but I don't know the circumstances and this is just through the grapevine.

That being said, I also know that he is selling horse trailers full of equipment (tack, blankets, boots, shipping boots, etc.) if anyone is interested.

He is in Archer.

Unless you have heard something directly from Andrew YOURSELF, I suggest keeping the gossip to yourself.
Jill

SLR
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:59 AM
TSH. What the hell? You start a thread asking what Ralph is doing these days, but apparently you already knew and wanted to spread gossip. You should be ashamed:no:

Carried Away
Jan. 7, 2011, 01:44 PM
Wow. Really? This forum is starting to be too much...

TSHEventing
Jan. 7, 2011, 01:52 PM
merely stating that the connection there was lost. All I know is he moved away from Andrew close to me. My question on what he is doing is about his teaching status and healing process. As stated, two sides to every story.

foxhavenfarm
Jan. 7, 2011, 03:40 PM
Wow, I find that very hard to believe. Ralph and Andrew have been friends for YEARS.

maxxtrot
Jan. 7, 2011, 08:25 PM
wow, i find that hard to believe too, as said before they have been friends forever.i love them both, glad to hear ralph is close, guess i should give him a call :)
p.s- andrew is a wonderful dressage teacher :)

eks
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:46 PM
I heard he was at Derek Petersen's Legacy Farms in Archer.

I don't event anymore, but I have had clinics with Ralph in the past and he was the best..wouldn't hesitate to work with him now if I still evented...he is just a great horseman and person in general.

equusnight
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:50 PM
Erika, you really should go ride with him- he is great! Plus, you could get some dressage lessons from Andrew Harbison!

Love Andrew!!!! He helped me start my mare and is an awesome person/rider, you are very fortunate to have them both so close!

ladyj79
Jan. 10, 2011, 03:00 AM
So funny, I just met Ralph on Friday at Derek Petersen's barn. He was in great spirits, having "jumped five fences in a row!" for the first time since his accident. What a really nice guy and an inspiration to all of us!

texang73
Jan. 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
He will be giving a clinic this weekend in Bellville, TX at Pine Hill :D. I'm only auditing, but super excited to see him teach again! :cool:

jackalini
Jan. 11, 2011, 12:23 PM
I'll be riding with him, bright and early (ok, so more early than bright), at 7am both days of the clinic this weekend.

I am very excited to meet him and soak up everything he has to say.

Carried Away
Jan. 11, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oooh please post a clinic report!!

jackalini
Jan. 11, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'd be glad to do a clinic report. I should have a few photos to go along with it, as well. I'll try to sit in on as many sessions as I can after mine, too. :)

lstevenson
Jan. 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
So funny, I just met Ralph on Friday at Derek Petersen's barn. He was in great spirits, having "jumped five fences in a row!" for the first time since his accident.

So happy to hear this!:D

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

BadEventer
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:14 PM
One of the best clinics I've ever attended. Ralph is fabulous. Don't miss an opportunity to ride with him. He is very VERY good at reading horses and setting up exericises to improve a particular horse's issues.

Lucyjane
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:04 PM
It was so much fun to see everyone at the Ralph clinic! Met lots of great new people and definitely loved the gymnastic exercises he used. It was a confidence building experience.

Badeventer, your mare is something else, a real handful of talent. :) And Jackalini, you and your Dad are just adorable.

My favorite Ralph phrase from the weekend was, "Don't Panic". LOL

jackalini
Jan. 18, 2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks LJ! I am tremendously lucky to have my dad...he's just the best. It was great to meet you and your hubby, and what nice horses you both have. I know Ralph was so pleased to see 2 Winston's.

Let's see - as far as a clinic report, I meant to write something sooner, but here goes! And everyone else, feel free to add on where you see fit!

The first day consisted of gymnastics. He had 4 different exercises set up that he used, in different ways, for all of the divisions. One was a set of 6 trot poles to an X to an oxer. Second was an oxer with 3 10ft canter rails on one side and one on the other side. Third was a one stride of gates with rolled-out groundlines. And fourth (not all divisions did this one), a vertical with V angled poles on it (creating a chute type effect).

He used them differently depending on the horse's need. If the horse needed to maintain better rhythm to the jump, you would do the 3 rails - oxer - rail combo but if your horse liked to rush off after (guilty!), you would do the single rail - oxer - 3 rails after. The focus all around was to maintain rhythm to the jumps and present the horse with a loose back and simple frame. Use a counter bend in corners to keep the horse from locking up their inside shoulder coming out of the turn. Minor, small leg yields on a circle, out and in, to increase engagement of the hind legs. Ask for a bigger step at the trot by squeezing while you rise to post. Ask for collection in the canter when the outside foreleg is going forward. Ask for a downward transition in canter when the inside foreleg is going forward. Ask for your canter transition from the trot when the outside foreleg is going forward (b/c outside hind which stikes off first is about to land). Oh, and don't panic. ;) He was adamant that once you were over the first part of a gymnastic, you were to soften and just allow the horse to figure it out.

XC day was about forward. Go forward and conquer. My biggest issue - trying to get to everything "perfect." He told me, "Stop trying to make it all pretty. Get her down to the jump, and let her do the rest." :yes: I am a bit ditchy (bad experience at a ditch earlier this year :no:), so we worked through that, and he convinced me the horse just had my number and I needed to ride "like you ate raw meat for dinner last night." You need to be straight, on the aids, and forward, but not as "perfect" as in stadium.

We jumped a few simple xc fences, and then worked in the water and over a ditch. When the weather handed us RAIN during our 7am start time, we made water jumps in the arena for warm-up. No joke - we jumped into and out of the arena's pooled up water. :) Way fun, but I had arena and outdoor mud on top of my helmet as well as everywhere else by the end of the ride!

Ralph is a riot - he has a million amazing stories, and might I say - if he's selling an eventer, a jumper and a green horse, don't buy the green horse!!!!! :lol: He was excited about the 5 fence combo he'd done on his 4 year old recently, and he got around pretty well. He said, quite often, he was so glad to still be around and was thankful to "the big guy upstairs." We're all certainly grateful, as well.

Definitely HUGE kudos go out to Ralph for the great coaching, Leslie and Sarah for their great organizational skills, and Ruth for hosting us at her wonderful facility.

I will link to some photos later tonight, but I am so disappointed in my position in some of the video that I will probably just keep that private. I don't think I can handle sharing my chair seat and grabby hands with the world. ;)

Jacque and the "I can put 2 strides into a one stride" wonder mare

MattMan
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:15 AM
Nice update Jacque... was great meeting you and your dad this weekend... Ralph was definitely one of those fun teachers and he made my guy walk off the field like he was the coolest cat on four legs so that is always a plus. I posted two videos on my facebook and my chronicle page located at the bottom of the post. I added the good along with the crazy greenie leaps :) had a little fun with it.

Denali
Jan. 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
Im so glad to find some of you guys on this thread all part of the COTH family ;)

Im also really glad to hear everyone had a great time. It was nice to meet you all and I hope to see you all at the next one!!!!

-Sarah

Eventer55
Jan. 26, 2011, 10:43 AM
How does one know where he's giving a clinic? I can't find a web site.

jackalini
Jan. 26, 2011, 12:11 PM
Ours was advertised through our area 5 website. You can try checking the calendars of your area and those around you.

I don't believe he maintains any sort of website of his activities, though.

Carol Ames
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:44 PM
very well said!

One of the best clinics I've ever attended. Ralph is fabulous. Don't miss an opportunity to ride with him. He is very VERY good at reading horses and setting up exericises to improve a particular horse's issues.

Carol Ames
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
He is a horseman and a real human!

Carol Ames
Jan. 27, 2011, 01:46 PM
I am so glad he has recovered to this level; it gives me hope!

hoofhearted
Jan. 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
I've been riding with Ralph for better than 15 years. I've never heard him use the expression "ride like you ate raw meat for dinner last night", but I'm happy to add that to all the Ralphisms I've heard over the years.

Here's a few of my favorites:

"get him angry in the bridle"
"now we're cooking with fire"
"don't get out of the boat!"
"stop knitting me a sweater with your hands. I don't need a sweater, I live in Florida now!"

Long Spot
Jan. 27, 2011, 08:51 PM
Sounds fabulous!!!! MattMan, love your gray.

lstevenson
Jan. 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
I've been riding with Ralph for better than 15 years. I've never heard him use the expression "ride like you ate raw meat for dinner last night", but I'm happy to add that to all the Ralphisms I've heard over the years.

Here's a few of my favorites:

"get him angry in the bridle"
"now we're cooking with fire"
"don't get out of the boat!"
"stop knitting me a sweater with your hands. I don't need a sweater, I live in Florida now!"

Yep, classic Ralph. Love those.

lstevenson
Jan. 27, 2011, 09:27 PM
I also loved "save those moves for the dance floor".

Carried Away
Jan. 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
I also loved "save those moves for the dance floor".

haha I have heard that one too, and from my current trainer who was a student of his so it's still spreading :)
my favorites are:

"yes In-deedy!!"
"don't micromanage him!"
"yeahhhh girl"

jackalini
Jan. 28, 2011, 12:04 PM

It was in response to my poor, weenie riding up to a ditch. :uhoh: I just kind of locked up and sat there, hoping mind-melding would get us over to the other side. :lol: :no:

I'll see if I can edit the video I have to get that one section by itself - it was a good little commentary that covered that both he and I had dated people who didn't really listen to us! So funny.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
{standing shyly in the Eventing doorway}
I had the pleasure of riding in a clinic with Ralph some 15 years ago & the quote I remember best is:

I'd rather have one to love on than a whole barn full of talent.

IIRC the discussion was about having just one horse to compete.