PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone buy purpose bred foals for eventing?

TSHEventing
Jan. 4, 2011, 08:39 PM
Since there are some threads on OTTB and warmbloods, etc. has anyone here purchased purpose bred eventing foals? what is important to you? The foal itself? it's bloodlines? the breed? who you buy it from (i.e., you trust them and their program)?

ThirdCharm
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:01 PM
Possibly CaseMonster will post, she bought a purpose-bred colt from me (two, now) and I think for her it was the bloodlines (she had ridden full siblings, and the sire, of both foals she bought and wanted "one like that").

Jennifer

yellowbritches
Jan. 4, 2011, 09:48 PM
If I had the cash to do it (as in, the cash to afford a purpose bred baby, the cash to support it for a few years, plus the cash to have something else to ride in the meant time) and facilities a little more conducive to raising babies I would do it in a heartbeat. For me, it would probably be a factor of all the things you listed. I'd pick something based on how it was bred (either a particular sire, or a particular bloodline), and would lean more toward a proven breeder of event horses (so, Phyllis Dawson, or someone like her, would probably be high on my list as I love her stallion and the babies I've seen, and I know she knows how to breed them!). I'd choose a foal depending on its movement and general attitude toward life (unless I bought something in utero). Breed would be my last concern.

But, I haven't done it, but would do it if I had the right circumstances.

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 4, 2011, 11:03 PM
I'm trying :)

Though maybe not exactly what you mean..... I'm looking for an Appaloosa sport horse.... bred for jumping and dressage and eventing.

But man.. I'm having a hard time. I guess I'm balancing bloodlines, what the siblings are doing, and conformation... and color ;)

camohn
Jan. 4, 2011, 11:14 PM
apparently since I just sold one...but it did take til he was 5!! He is a TB. I had to put up with a whole lotta folks wanting him for nothing though because that is what OTTBs sell for.

TallyhoFarms
Jan. 5, 2011, 12:57 AM
I breed my own for Eventing. But I breed these for myself to ride. I'm a trainer, but certainly not an BNT, so I want horses that have been raised right, with solid brains so I can break them myself without myself getting broken :)

I only have one breeding mare, an older Appy that I've had for over 17yrs now. I've bred "Mom" 4 times. "Mom" herself was a prelim eventer, who later went on to become a lesson horse before retiring. She was also a hunter, jumper, barrel racer, pack horse, and driving horse, in addition to her eventing career. So I supposed one could say she's "well rounded". As for the sires...

Foal #1 was by Reputed Testamony, sadly lost that foal to a pasture accident as a 4yrs old. I did break him myself and started him over fences before I lost him. He had a fabulous mind, beautiful conformation, and was pretty enough to be a hunter. He was an all around lovely horse.

Foal #2 is now 4 and just finished her first year of eventing. She is by Holsteiner stallion "Cimarron" who competed through the 1* level. My 4 yr old is exactly what FLeckenAwesome wants :) She's got spots! the WB movement, and a brain to boot. She moved up to Training level this fall, after 6 months of training and finished 3rd. She's now out for the winter because she is only 4.

Foal #3 was by Formula One. She was a beautiful filly who sadly died of colic at 8 months old. She was very refined and pretty. I respect Denny and would breed to any of his stallions sight unseen.

Foal #4 is by Formual One as well. Quite different to his sister who passed, but showing all the same great traits in the brain and beauty department of his siblings.

So that's what I have. I've bred them all so that they're great riding horses, not just eventers (although to me the eventer is a well rounded horse). Obviously I'm not breeding to sell, but I could because I've got horses who are well put together, with good parents who are well known or proven themselves. I don't breed any purebreds, but I also prefer mutts to purebred dogs. I think mixing blood, when done in the right way, can often give you a better and stronger result.

If I was to purchase a youngster for "eventing" I'd likely go to someone like Denny, who has a very good eye and a ton of experience.

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 5, 2011, 01:09 AM
So....tallyho.... none of yours are for sale? :(

You know.... I may just have to send Denny an email :) That's a pretty good idea! Hopefully he won't mind...since I'm pretty much a random stranger! (tho we are FB friends. hee hee....)

TallyhoFarms
Jan. 5, 2011, 01:12 AM
So....tallyho.... none of yours are for sale? :(

You know.... I may just have to send Denny an email :) That's a pretty good idea! Hopefully he won't mind...since I'm pretty much a random stranger! (tho we are FB friends. hee hee....)

I'm sure Denny won't mind. Being FB friends means your practically bff with him! Sorry, none of mine are for sale. I'll send ya a PM with my info though, you can fb friend me and I'll show ya pics of my kids!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 5, 2011, 01:21 AM
I don't blame you :)

Hee hee... Yay!! BFF with Denny!

Fred
Jan. 5, 2011, 07:24 AM
Yes,they do, in my experience.
Many if not most of the people coming to me for youngsters are eventers.
They have seen horses by my stallion (bred by me or others) out competing, and must like what they have seen.
I may not have anything for sale, but I can usually point them in the direction of one of my clients who may have a youngster for sale.

elizabeth Callahan
Jan. 5, 2011, 07:31 AM
i find that the dressage people will look at a weanling/yearling, event people a 2-4 yr old ( cheap....) and the hunters want a 5 yr old, doing changes, preferably a bay GELDING with lots of chrome!

Jan. 5, 2011, 07:52 AM
I purpose bred as well, to Formula One, Tb/Hann mare. The colt is 2 1/2 now and lives in NC on a lovely farm. I visited recently and he is lovely. I walked in to his large pasture where he lives with several other geldings, and he walked up to me, away from his group of friends, let me lead him away, and handle him in the barn and work him lightly in the round pen. He never got worried, or flustered. He is a lovely mover, quiet, kind, and polite. I was super impressed with him. He'll grow up in NC a little longer, I'll probably ask Keith White to sit on him for me and then I'll ship him out west in a year or so. I'm really looking forward to him. I haven't had great luck with OTTBs and and very excited to see how he does.