PDA

View Full Version : Help me guesstimate how much shavings to order

Keep1Belle
Jan. 3, 2011, 03:39 PM
I am struggling to price out shavings. I am used to buying bagged shavings the standard size bad that is a little bigger than 3 cubic feet and it expands to about 5 feet.

I typically use 6 to 8 bags depending on the horse per week in an stall WITHOUT mats. We are moving to a barn with mats and are will getting bulk shavings. The shavings is priced by the cubic yard and comes in 15, 30, 40 cubic yard shipments.

I can convert cubic feet to yards, but I am just trying to guage about how much we would use per month. Anybody have any idea about how big a load they use for 6 horses stabled in a 12 X12 matted stall. Not bedded/banked too deep. But more than just a dusting over the mats.

I know this is vague, but any input suggestions would help.

how many cubic yards would your barn go through in a month for 6 stalls

NBFarm
Jan. 3, 2011, 03:53 PM
Are you looking at shavings or sawdust?

During the winter when mine are turned out from 8am - 4pm I go through 80 cubic yards or the fine sawdust a month and I have 25 stalls. It will vary a lot depending on how many hours your horses spend in and how deep you bed them.

Keep1Belle
Jan. 3, 2011, 06:02 PM
Are you looking at shavings or sawdust?

During the winter when mine are turned out from 8am - 4pm I go through 80 cubic yards or the fine sawdust a month and I have 25 stalls. It will vary a lot depending on how many hours your horses spend in and how deep you bed them.

Saw Dust. The type we have tend to be a little moist. The drier shavings required a larger load to be delivered, which we cant accomodate.

tasia
Jan. 3, 2011, 06:26 PM
I just got my sawdust delivery today :) I get 17 yards. This is for 5 horses on mats. 17 yards lasts me about 3 months.

chicamux
Jan. 4, 2011, 07:22 AM
I know this isn't what you asked about but I wanted to tell you that I've been using "green" sawdust for years and I found it lasts far far longer if you can dry it out. I learned that mixing some PINE bedding pellets into the sawdust in the stalls makes for a much drier stall and I remove far less wet sawdust each week. Sprinkle a bag into each stall, maybe once a week and they will absorb moisture from the sawdust and gradually expand. Also, DO NOT bother to buy oak sawdust, the best is pine sawdust but it's been hard to come by in this area and they just don't have much of a market for pine lumber right now. Poplar sawdust is better than oak but still isn't nearly as absorbent as pine. what ever you use I highly suggest a good pine pellet. Equine Fresh from TSC is all pine and Woody Pet is pine also. If the bag doesn't say pine it's not pine. Don't buy stove pellets, they are almost always straight hardwood.

chicamuxen

shakeytails
Jan. 4, 2011, 10:02 AM
I know this isn't what you asked about but I wanted to tell you that I've been using "green" sawdust for years and I found it lasts far far longer if you can dry it out. I learned that mixing some PINE bedding pellets into the sawdust in the stalls makes for a much drier stall and I remove far less wet sawdust each week. Sprinkle a bag into each stall, maybe once a week and they will absorb moisture from the sawdust and gradually expand. Also, DO NOT bother to buy oak sawdust, the best is pine sawdust but it's been hard to come by in this area and they just don't have much of a market for pine lumber right now. Poplar sawdust is better than oak but still isn't nearly as absorbent as pine. what ever you use I highly suggest a good pine pellet. Equine Fresh from TSC is all pine and Woody Pet is pine also. If the bag doesn't say pine it's not pine. Don't buy stove pellets, they are almost always straight hardwood.

chicamuxen

Interesting idea, mixing pellets with green sawdust. Most of my sawdust is oak and poplar with some cedar mixed in if I'm lucky. Pine just ain't happening around here. Sometimes it's quite wet. We have a sawdust aisle so we spread it down the aisle to dry out and shovel it into stalls as needed. The last load was wetter than usual, and the weather was such that it wasn't drying quickly, and the pellet trick might have worked well. I'll have to try it.

chicamux
Jan. 4, 2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah, do give it a try. I found that it not only really stretched my loads of sawdust but it sooooo reduced my labor as I just didn't have as much heavy soaked sawdust to haul out of the stalls. I found that I could go a week with just tossing the bedding daily to get the wet stuff off the bottom and mixed into dry bedding at the top where it would aerate and dry out pretty well (my stalls are well ventilated) and only have to remove a smaller amount of wet bedding. I hate stall stripping day when all I have for bedding is damp sawdust. It takes so many more trips to the manure pile!

chicamuxen