PDA

View Full Version : Quadruplets!

wireweiners
Jan. 3, 2011, 12:30 PM
One of my brother's boer cross does had quadruplets New Year's Day. At first we thought triplets but when he checked her the next morning, there was a 4th. They are all does. The two smaller ones are solid cafe au lait colored and the two larger ones are boer marked but cafe au lait. The doe is taking care of two of them, the other two are in the house bottle fed. One of his other does had a large kid New Year's Day that had to be pulled. This kid was a single and huge! The poor thing has a problem with his legs, the back legs don't work. He does seem to be improving though. I guess there was some trauma from the birth. My brother has sold all the goats though, the new owner is picking them up today. I'll kind of miss the babies, they are cute but I won't miss the older goats. The buck smells so bad he makes your eyes water and they are bad about climbing on the cars and tap dancing.

MistyBlue
Jan. 3, 2011, 12:44 PM
Wow, quads! That's a litter, LOL!

I'm not a goat person so was going to ask if a single doe could nurse 4, but it looks like you've pulled 2 to bottle feed anyways so I'm assuming 4 kids are a little much for one mom to feed.

And I agree with you on goat buck stink...pew!

Epona142
Jan. 3, 2011, 03:27 PM
I watched a friend's doe deliver quads at 6am on Jan 2nd. A first timer Nigerian Dwarf. Crazy stuff. The doe is feeding all four kids without a problem.

Somermist
Jan. 3, 2011, 03:33 PM
Wow, that's great. I do agree with you on the stink though, that's why we don't have goats anymore. That and always dancing on something--mostly my husband's equipment didn't help either!;)

aspenlucas
Jan. 4, 2011, 12:27 PM
Wow, Quads and DOES!!! We had triplet bucks on Dec 22nd. Alvin, Simon and Theodore. Theo had a rough start and we pulled him and are bottle feeding him, in the house, and he comes to work with me at HorseLoverZ. He got a job in customer service. He'll be two weeks tomorrow. :)

danceronice
Jan. 4, 2011, 12:33 PM
It happens! More often with dwarfs and Pygmies than big goats, but it does happen!

Bucks do stink a bit, but does and wethers ("geldings") aren't so bad. I'm debating getting a goat lawn mower, but am having to resist the urge to get a milking doe--I have no idea what I would do with babies. A nice wether would probably be best....but they're so cute when they're little!

wireweiners
Jan. 4, 2011, 02:35 PM
Since we are rednecks, last night we let the bottle babies out in the living room to play. They are a hoot! Mocha and Frappe were jumping and hopping all over the living room. Even little Duke is standing better and trying to walk. My daughter was thinking about putting some of the diapers I got when my beagle was in season to put on the baby goats to prevent "accidents" in the house. If we do, we'll have to get pictures.

aspenlucas
Jan. 5, 2011, 06:54 AM
Since we are rednecks, last night we let the bottle babies out in the living room to play. They are a hoot! Mocha and Frappe were jumping and hopping all over the living room. Even little Duke is standing better and trying to walk. My daughter was thinking about putting some of the diapers I got when my beagle was in season to put on the baby goats to prevent "accidents" in the house. If we do, we'll have to get pictures.

We have one of the triplets in our house. He plays with the cat and the dog. I take him to work and the girls let him leap around. Sadly the dog diapers don't work for him as he pees in front of them. :( If you figure out a solution to that let me know!