View Full Version : Boarding in Gainesville, FL area

Jan. 2, 2011, 05:17 PM

I am a dressage rider and my husband is looking at a job in the Gainesville, FL area.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any barns in the area?

I would like a barn that has good turnout (individual for at least 7-8 hours a day, good hay and a ring with good footing)

Even though I ride dressage, I am open to boarding at hunter/jumper/eventing barns.

Excellent care and footing are my main priorities. I would prefer not to travel to Ocala, but may consider it for the right barn.

Thanks in advance!

Jan. 2, 2011, 11:03 PM
If you're on Facebook search for Mary McGuire Smith; she's based in Vero Beach but she should be a great resource.

I have family in Gainesville - it's a great town!

Jan. 2, 2011, 11:08 PM
You might talk with Denise Rath, an eventer who has a lovely farm between Ocala and Gainesville. She usually does not take boarders,but knows a lot of people in the area.

Jan. 3, 2011, 12:27 AM
What is your price range?

Gainesville does not have a lot of boarding facilities and most are mediocre at best. People are often a little crazy to say the least. I however know of two places that are phenomenal but they charge. Individual turn out is also hard to come by. I board my horse out of the area in Starke, FL which is about a 35 minute drive because I've never found anything in Gainesville up to my par that I can afford. Ocala is excellent if you want to go else where but the problem is most boarding facilities seem to be on the opposite side as compared to Gainesville.

I love my place it is quiet, low key and everybody is super nice top quality care. They are kind of turned off by individual turn out but I think it could be do able.

What you are willing to pay for will make a huge difference in availability.

Jan. 3, 2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replies so far! Just my luck, you have a PM

Jan. 3, 2011, 07:12 PM
You might try Hawkfields. It's in Jonesville--just about a 15-20 min drive depending on where you are in Gainesville (less if you're going to live on the west side of town). I used to work there, and the facility is lovely, but it might be on the pricey side.

Jan. 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Im also interested in any suggestions anyone has... Regarding Hawkfield farm, what is expensive?? Its different for different people...

Jan. 21, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hawkfields, has one of the few private covered dressage arenas I've seen in Florida. The fence is no climb with top board, the highest quality feeds are fed, absolutely zero coastal. Gorgeous tack room, fields are always drug and mowed. Grass is never over run. Huge stalls, that are deeply bedded, individual turn out. Nice stadium jumps, good hard working college students working there. (I worked there for a year). Amazing farm manager that will hold for farrier vet appointments, there is an automatic fly spray system. I could go on but you get my point.

Jan. 21, 2011, 02:10 PM
I board at Rebel Ridge, a small private facility with a covered arena in Anthony, just south of Gainesville. Turnout 1/2 day or all night, large and small arena, trainer/instructor on premesis. It is owned by an S judge who mostly drives now, but she also gives ridden instruction. There are only 3 boarders, all dressage riders, at the moment. Nice relaxed ADULT atmosphere.