PDA

View Full Version : New horse.. need a show name!

ChestnutShowJumper
Jan. 2, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hi all,
I'm new to the dressage world and forum. Ive always been a jumper and after some great dressage lessons have become addicted! I have finally found a great dressage prospect. He is a 5 yo Hanoverian and his barn name is Fabio. He needs a show name that starts with an F.. any suggestions? Thanks! :winkgrin:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Equineaholic22/Fabio#

Equibrit
Jan. 2, 2011, 04:16 PM
Fabio.

It would be wise to check if he is already registered with any organizations and already has a registered name. Changing it is not a smart thing to do.

atr
Jan. 2, 2011, 04:20 PM
Fabio seems fine to me...

But.

Does he have any recognized show experience already? If so, so you can keep his records straight, I'd be inclined to show him under the same name.

Is he registered? If so, I'd show him under his registered name so his score record is easily trackable.

Behind the 8 Ball
Jan. 2, 2011, 08:03 PM
He even kinda looks kinda Fabio to me, sexy and dark. Keep it.

Remember you are in a sprt where a horse named Rusty went to the Olympics. No Hezashinyping pongball for us. Dressage queens put the bling in the ride, not the name :0

Equi88
Jan. 2, 2011, 10:20 PM
I like that name too!! Maybe add to it: Fabulous Fabio or something...

Love this comment:
Remember you are in a sprt where a horse named Rusty went to the Olympics. No Hezashinyping pongball for us. Dressage queens put the bling in the ride, not the name :0:):):)

Tiki
Jan. 3, 2011, 10:36 AM
Why is it that the very first thing just about every hunter/jumper rider I've ever heard of or met wants to do is to change the name of any and every new horse they buy? Did your teachers change your name every time you changed class? Did your employers change your name every time you got a new job or worked on a new project?

Is the horse registered with a breed registry - with a name?

Is it registered with USEF/USDF with a name?

If so, keep it and change his barn name to Cuddly Cheeks or whatever you choose, but leave his registered name the same.

Valentina_32926
Jan. 3, 2011, 11:16 AM
A LOT of warmbloods have a 1 word name so Fabio sounds great to me also. (In case you weren't aware - Fabio is that sexy man on MANY romance covers - big shoulders - the kind of look that makes women swoon :winkgrin: when they see him.)

Is there a reason you don't want to retain his current name?

KatherineC
Jan. 3, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'm superstitious and never change the name of any horse I buy. However, the name Fabio does set some high expectations. He had better be the Brad Pitt of horses!!

katie+tru
Jan. 3, 2011, 03:47 PM
I dunno... personally, I think Fabio is almost too simple, and almost stereotypical sounding. Like, "Oh here's a another beefy, handsome dressage horse with some obviously sexy, masculine name". I like slightly creative, witty names.

Flashblack
Man In Black
Black Cadillack

Eclectic Horseman
Jan. 3, 2011, 03:51 PM
Facebook.

Go ahead. be the first. :lol:

katie+tru
Jan. 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
Facebook.

Go ahead. be the first. :lol:

OMG YES. Someone do it!

ChestnutShowJumper
Jan. 15, 2011, 05:53 PM
Why is it that the very first thing just about every hunter/jumper rider I've ever heard of or met wants to do is to change the name of any and every new horse they buy? Did your teachers change your name every time you changed class? Did your employers change your name every time you got a new job or worked on a new project?

Is the horse registered with a breed registry - with a name?

Is it registered with USEF/USDF with a name?

If so, keep it and change his barn name to Cuddly Cheeks or whatever you choose, but leave his registered name the same.

Dont think thats just a hunter jumper thing... anyway Im not looking to change his barn name, just give him a show name since he doesnt have one!

Eclectic Horseman
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
OK, how about FB Friend? ;)

chancellor2
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:20 PM
Dont think thats just a hunter jumper thing... anyway Im not looking to change his barn name, just give him a show name since he doesnt have one!

It is DEFINITELY a hunter jumper thing.

netg
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Oh, I like everything about him! He's so my type!

I'm surprised he doesn't have a registered name.

That said, I think Fabio works, and is very ring-appropriate, but may indicate more about looks and less about substance. How's his movement? I'd totally name an extravagant mover Footloose. He looks likely to be strong, so I like Fuerte. Flint is often black (I always think of it as being black) so another option, though it's still not "fancy" which I think is what you're looking for and why you don't like Fabio?

EasyStreet
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:19 PM
Fabiolus!!:D