PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have grass coming in already?!?

baysngreys
Jan. 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
Unbelievable. I've got a green tinge in several paddocks and around the house already.
I'm in the Southeast, but still...it's only January 2nd!!!!

Anyone else?

SkipHiLad4me
Jan. 2, 2011, 03:46 PM
Could be annual bluegrass. It usually starts showing up at around this time of year.:yes:

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
No, we have had no rain in the past 3 months, and the hard freezes have turned everything brown here. I've seen a few tiny blades in the areas where I dump the water buckets or let the hose run before filling, that's it.

jvanrens
Jan. 2, 2011, 04:57 PM
Definitely none here, other than the grass that didn't freeze before we got snow on it, but being in Eastern Ontario that's sort of normal. ;) But, my mare is shedding already, which has to be a record! :)

Beentheredonethat
Jan. 2, 2011, 07:57 PM
We've had grass for awhile in CA. We had a COLD summer, THEN it finally warmed up in the fall and we got rain, which is unusual. We had enough rain and enough warm weather that the grass got a good start, which is unusual. The horses can't resist trying to snarf it all they can. Of course it's COLD now, so it won't grow a lot more, but should keep going. We normally don't grass until spring.

I've seen a little shedding, too.

Daydream Believer
Jan. 2, 2011, 08:35 PM
Nope...not here in my part of VA which is supposed to be the mildest climate area in the state. I say supposed to be as we just had a historic blizzard which melted in a week, it has rained, and now we have historic mud!

ponygirl
Jan. 2, 2011, 08:37 PM
No, we have had no rain in the past 3 months, and the hard freezes have turned everything brown here. I've seen a few tiny blades in the areas where I dump the water buckets or let the hose run before filling, that's it.

we are the same. No grass. My neighbor has winter rye coming up in an area she waters but that is it.

baysngreys
Jan. 5, 2011, 04:40 PM
Really bizarre. It's definitely not winter rye and I've only ever seeded with bermuda.
We did a lot of work on the pastures this past summer, aerating, fertilizing, etc. I wonder if that's having an effect?

I'm crossing my fingers that Mother Earth thinks it's Spring already!

fooler
Jan. 5, 2011, 07:17 PM
Definitely none here, other than the grass that didn't freeze before we got snow on it, but being in Eastern Ontario that's sort of normal. ;) But, my mare is shedding already, which has to be a record! :)

Italics are mine - I noticed my gelding is starting to shed over the past several days - especially as the days started getting longer. . .:yes:

Almost Heaven
Jan. 5, 2011, 07:43 PM
I wish!

baysngreys
Jan. 6, 2011, 08:01 PM
I'm going to visit my young horse tomorrow, I'll look and see if anyone else has a hint of green.
We're supposed to get more winter weather Mon/Tues so it might all go away :(

Miss J
Jan. 7, 2011, 02:31 PM
Unbelievable. I've got a green tinge in several paddocks and around the house already.
I'm in the Southeast, but still...it's only January 2nd!!!!

Anyone else?

You suck!!!!!!! And this is why: we are expected to get 15-20cm of snow starting today(and that's an addition of the 8" we already have on the ground) with temps going down to -30! oh and don't forget that awesome windchill!!

There is some serious cases of the winter grumblies over here!

baysngreys
Jan. 7, 2011, 06:39 PM
Okay, so grass coming in ALL over town. This is nuts!
No wonder people like to come down here (Aiken) in winter. Heck I came for a weekend 7 years ago and stayed!

I fear it wont last tho, forecast is for sleet on Monday.

JohnDeere
Jan. 8, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have alot of SNOW coming in already....:rolleyes:

Someone said you suck. :yes:

monstrpony
Jan. 8, 2011, 07:15 PM
I've got one patch of grass on a fairly protected piece of lawn. When the snow got rained away last week, it looked pretty green. Alas, I let my guy graze on it for about 5 minutes once before the Christmas snow, and again last week, and both times he ended up with a gas bubble about 24 hrs later. So, enjoy the visual but be careful about letting anyone munch on it too much! I think it's pretty stressed now and putting out too much sugar for a hind gut that's living on hay this time of year.

atr
Jan. 8, 2011, 07:34 PM
Don't know... mine's under 3ft of snow....

LongLeaf
Jan. 8, 2011, 08:51 PM
Yep, we've got grass coming up too - we're about 40 miles from Aiken. It's definitely the bermuda coming in. I really hope that Monday's forecast of wintery weather doesn't kill it!

SAcres
Jan. 9, 2011, 09:48 AM
We had one field that never went brown. It's completely surrounded by trees and the grass is longish. The horses haven't been on that field because it isn't fenced in. I'm not completely sure why it never browned out. Every other field is brown, no hint of green yet. We have a couple inches of snow on the ground right now, so I don't think we'll see green for a while. I'm hoping for an early spring now, can't wait to stop feeding tons of hay!

baysngreys
Jan. 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
Nevermind - everythings gone white now. Snow, sleet and ice, oh my! Can't imagine any growing thing living thru this. :(

Phaxxton
Jan. 10, 2011, 08:30 PM
I'll let you know when the 2" of snow melts! :lol: So much for moving south for better weather! :lol: