PDA

View Full Version : Gravel for driveway...how much? And another question

fivesocks
Jan. 1, 2011, 06:42 PM
The gravel people measure by the ton. Does anyone know approx. how many tons it would take to cover 520 feet of driveway? This is going over existing gravel that has become smushed into the ground and just recently got worse because the ground is so soggy from all the snow and rain (I think our property is going to become one big sink hole and disappear into the earth if we get any more rain)...but there is already a bit of a base which I suppose is good.

Also, would it be tacky to put a large half circle of gravel inside the pastures over the muddy mess that is around the gates??? The area around our gates gets really muddy when we get lots of rain. We have red clay and things are really getting out of hand!

wsmoak
Jan. 1, 2011, 06:49 PM
We'd need to know how wide the driveway is and how thick you want it to be.

Here's a calculator I found that suggests gravel with fines is 2835 lbs/cubic yard, so to do a 10ft wide driveway 520 ft long an inch thick you would need about 23 tons.

http://www.lrfalk.com/how-much-gravel-do-i-need.html

fivesocks
Jan. 1, 2011, 06:55 PM
wsmoak, I think it is 10 or 12 ft. Wide enough for the horse trailer, but there isn't much room for error.

I believe that if the dump truck dumps gravel out as he drives along, it will be sufficiently wide. It is really just the tire tracks that are in bad shape now.

I don't know how thick it should be. I hope that since it's going on top of a preexisting gravel drive, it can be a bit thinner?

shakeytails
Jan. 1, 2011, 07:56 PM
At least 2 full tri-axle dump trucks, about 40 tons or so. No calculator, just figuring what it took to get a decent base on my 400+ foot driveway.

Calvincrowe
Jan. 1, 2011, 09:52 PM
Our driveway is 10 feet wide, 300+ feet long. We put down 3/4 minus (that's pretty chunky driveway rock, not the smallish 5/8ths minus that you normally see). Dump trucks out here haul in yards. We put 24 yards on an existing driveway, laying down about 2" of the big gravel in depth. I have no idea how many tons that is. Mr. CC can calculate exactly what you need, in yards. He's a math teacher:). Very valuable man.

Now, pouring gravel on mud in a pasture will result in muddy gravel. Your rock will disappear into a quagmire of red clay, dotted with gravel. Ask me how I know:sadsmile:

Desert Topaz
Jan. 1, 2011, 10:15 PM
Get something like this (http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=385522) for your gate areas.

As for your driveway, you might get away with just getting it graded.