PDA

View Full Version : Geotextile Users ?

chaos theory
Dec. 31, 2010, 09:21 PM
I am looking into geotextile material for our sacrifice paddocks. I have a 30x25 and a 50x20 space that I need to do.

Those who have this stuff what kind do you have? Woven or non-woven? Weight?

Where do you purchase it from? I looked online but I only found stuff that was extremely cheap and I'm not quite sure that's the stuff I need.

NEWT
Dec. 31, 2010, 10:34 PM
We put the non-woven fabric down in our paddock. Its working well but the excavator guy insisted we only needed dead sand on top. Big mistake. Its like porridge during the wet season. We should have put down 2-3"minus then on top of that put down 1" minus. Hind sight.:uhoh:

On our long driveway we put down the woven fabric. Its working very well.

As far as finding it: do a google on cow-cloth, geotextile fabric, road cloth and any other name you've heard it referred as. Then call the company, explain what you need it for. Then, they'll tell you what mil thickness you need and how wide their rolls are and the cost of each roll. Now you have the basics to call the other companies and compare apples to apples. Once you have the prices you get to play the game of best price. For us the cheapest was in OH but the closest was in CT. We called back to the CT warehouse and yes they would match the price. Two BIG 15' rolls were delivered via Federal Express. Have a plan on how to get them OUT of the truck because the driver won't know. We backed our pick up truck to their truck and pushed them out and onto it. Pretty slick.

Another thought, call your local soil conservation dept. In some states they let you buy it directly from them. Good luck!

TheOtherHorse
Jan. 1, 2011, 08:28 AM
I bought some from a local fencing company. Southern States also carries it, or at least can order it if not already in stock. I had a fairly small project to do, and the local fencing company cut the length I needed off their roll so I didn't have to buy the whole 450'.

I used the woven poly stuff that looks like a heavy duty black tarp. It was 12' wide rolls, and I forget the price per foot, but it was very inexpensive. They also had the cloth type that kind of looks like felt (same price), but I was told that it rips more easily during installation if you are driving tractors on it to spread the stonedust.

I have been happy with the tarp type stuff so far (it has only been in for a couple months, but we've had some heavy rains and it has drained well).

SaddleFitterVA
Jan. 1, 2011, 09:41 AM
My experience has been that the felt is much harder to cut/rip than the woven. I have woven under my driveway, and felt under my gates and ring. If it is not buried enough the mower blades will cut it, and horses like to get ahold of it and pull it up. I've bought mine from US Fabrics in Ohio. I will probably need one more roll when I actually surface my small paddocks (about 50'x50').

hosspuller
Jan. 1, 2011, 09:55 AM
This ... Durn horses pulled up the fabric I laid in front of the gates.:eek:

If it is not buried enough the mower blades will cut it, and horses like to get ahold of it and pull it up.

shakeytails
Jan. 1, 2011, 12:07 PM
Call Cooperative Extension and talk to your cattle guy for where to obtain it. There are (or used to be) cost share programs for installing geo-textile fabric in heavy use areas such as around cattle waterers. Around here, they called it "filter fabric". For me, there was only one place to get it locally- a feed mill. It's non-woven and sorta thick, maybe 1/4 inch? It looks like heavy felt. At the time I bought it it was rather expensive so I only used it on part of my driveway, mainly where we park. Where I used geo-textile I wished I'd used it on the whole thing- it would have saved me the cost of several truckloads of gravel and it actually would have paid for itself.

ridingarts
Jan. 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
This ... Durn horses pulled up the fabric I laid in front of the gates.:eek:

Yup - same problem here. I have the cow carpet in sacrifice runs, and you need to bury that stuff DEEP - and be prepared to replenish the footing over it every so often. I had 4+ inches of an angled sand (we call it M10 here) over mine - and it's proven to be insufficient.

I did not bury it deep enough, and it's a good bit of work "fixing" it. I will need to scrape all the sand back off and pull the stuff up to truly fix it where I have it installed at the moment.

I'm going to try the rigid "equi terr" stuff next - especially in the gate / high traffic areas.

As for drainage & curing mud, etc. - the geotextile has definitely helped, so I have no complaints there. I have also found that it works best over a solid & smooth base - clay or rock - vs. over a softer / sand base.

horsepoor
Jan. 1, 2011, 02:23 PM
You definitely want the non-woven stuff. We got ours through the guy that does excavation work for us -- you could call around to excavators in your area and ask. Or like others have said, if you have a local extension or conservation district office, they can probably point you toward a vendor.

Guilherme
Jan. 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
We put it down around the new work shed we put up. It's doing quite well. We graded the ground (mostly clay) flat and laid the fabric. Right now it's got large rock on top. We'll put a crushed stone on it to "smooth" it in the spring.

We got it from the local Federal Soil Conservation office. I'd have to find the check to find out how much it was, but my dirt mover said it was a pretty good price at the time.

I think the key to using this stuff is proper site preparation and proper overburden. If you skimp on either you'll get a less than satisfactory result.

G.

chaos theory
Jan. 3, 2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks everyone!

I have a few local places that I found online and will give them a call.