PDA

View Full Version : Northerners, what's in your footing?

justonemore
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm looking for indoor arena footing options that can stand up to cold temps for extended periods. Obviously anything is going to freeze to some extent, but what sort of surface remains the most rideable in cold climates?

Would love to hear what people are using!

CHT
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:38 PM
We have heated arena walls. Our footing never freezes, nor do our riders. It is a very cost effective way to heat an arena.

TouchstoneAcres
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:44 PM
I thought you meant what junk is stored there: propane heater, Meadowbrook cart, cone letters, lunge stuff, cd player, couple chairs .....

No insulation and 1 open wall, only the propane for a person sitting/standing in the corner. Use MgCl for footing to keep it from freezing.

justonemore
Dec. 31, 2010, 02:20 PM
Haha, Touchstone you're right....title changed!

millerra
Dec. 31, 2010, 02:51 PM
sand + mg chloride - holds moisture. BUT it's just me. I deal w/ the dust midwinter rather than trying to water. W/ numerous riders at a time/heavy use, I don't think mine would be suitable...

Liz Steacie
Dec. 31, 2010, 03:12 PM
Our footing is about 60% sand, 35% shavings, the remaining 5% a mixture of wine corks and cat poo :-), about 4" over hard packed stone dust, oiled with mineral oil. Never freezes, no dust, super springy. It gets really cold (-25C) and it never freezes unless it gets wet, which it typically doesn't.

friesian4me
Dec. 31, 2010, 03:28 PM
Sand and rubber. When we put it in I think it was 1.5 inches of sand and .5 inches of rubber. We also added Magnesium Chloride to prevent freezing. Great footing year round

Xfactor
Dec. 31, 2010, 07:23 PM
The best indoors I've ridden in here, have the sand/rubber combo. Even when it's been reallly cold I don't recall the footing ever getting too hard to ride.

quietann
Dec. 31, 2010, 07:57 PM
I agree with other that sand/rubber is a nice footing for a cold climate.

Bogey2
Jan. 1, 2011, 06:52 AM
mine has never frozen, it is a mix of masonry sand, sawdust and mag chlorhide. I add sawdust/shavings and mag chl. once a year. Never has to be wet down in the winter.