PDA

View Full Version : Paddock Boots

Covergirl15
Dec. 31, 2010, 11:41 AM
Ok, it's time for new paddock boots again. I've always had the ariats (heritage) and I tried dublins once, but it seems like they fall apart way too quickly. The zippers break after a few months (this has happened on 3 different pairs) and after a year or 2 the leather starts cracking. I do ride in them about 5 days a week, but I keep them fairly clean and I wear wellies in the paddock if it's super wet or muddy. So... are ariats my only option? or does anyone know of any better brands. Price really doesn't matter if they will last :) (btw, they will be schooling boots only) Thanks!

SunsAfire
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:34 PM
Ok, it's time for new paddock boots again. I've always had the ariats (heritage) and I tried dublins once, but it seems like they fall apart way too quickly. The zippers break after a few months (this has happened on 3 different pairs) and after a year or 2 the leather starts cracking. I do ride in them about 5 days a week, but I keep them fairly clean and I wear wellies in the paddock if it's super wet or muddy. So... are ariats my only option? or does anyone know of any better brands. Price really doesn't matter if they will last :) (btw, they will be schooling boots only) Thanks!

I personally have a wide foot, and I've found Dublin's to be the most comfortable! I previously had Ariat's, they lasted me about 5 years. Didn't fit me as well as the Dublin's however. I've had mine for a few months and I haven't had any problems! Good luck on your hunt! ;)

alg0181
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:41 PM
I love my Ariats. I never clean them like I should but they last forever. I had my last pair for 6 years and only replaced them because one of the zippers slipped up sometimes. I dunno, I feel like they fit my foot better than any other brand I've tried. But I have a big/wide foot and I buy a men's boot.

delcontc
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:43 PM
I love my Dansko paddock boots, they last forever and are so comfortable! They're best for people with wider feet, and have a boxy toe area as well. I've had my current pair for 3 years, and they're still going strong. The pair before this lasted for 4 years, and I only stopped wearing them because the leather started cracking (I didn't take good care of them at all).

TheHorseProblem
Dec. 31, 2010, 01:09 PM
I love my Dansko paddock boots, they last forever and are so comfortable! They're best for people with wider feet, and have a boxy toe area as well. I've had my current pair for 3 years, and they're still going strong. The pair before this lasted for 4 years, and I only stopped wearing them because the leather started cracking (I didn't take good care of them at all).

Please don't mention the late, great Dansko paddock boot! It only brings back the pain.

alto
Dec. 31, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ariat Heritage are their starter boot - if you move up, you'll likely get a longer lasting boot: you might call up Ariat, tell them what you want to be able to do in the boot & your expectations & they will recommend which boots will best suit your needs.

Hanovers can take a beating but are no longer available (unless you happen to fit the odd stock still out there).

Mountain Horse fit differently than Ariats.

Classic Saddlery has some paddock boots still at super clearance.

Hampton Bay
Dec. 31, 2010, 01:47 PM
I just bought a pair of Dublin Venturer boots and I LOVE them. No zippers or laces to break, they just pull on. Wide in the toe, sturdy build, but they ride just like my Ariats. They look chunky, they just don't ride like they are chunky.

They are so very comfortable. I wear them everywhere now. I'm in KY for a week to visit my family, and they are the only shoes I brought. More comfy than any of the tennis shoes I've had. They are on par with Birkenstocks for comfort. And I got them for $60 including shipping.

Po-Po
Dec. 31, 2010, 03:34 PM
Purchased a pair of Ariat Cobalt boots about 2.5 years ago and they are still in nice shape. Granted they were $180.00 :eek:, but they are a nice boot....very comfortable and well made.

They are lace-up boots, I can't wear the zipper ones.

citydog
Dec. 31, 2010, 03:44 PM
Blundstones.

Doctracy
Dec. 31, 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm lusting for some Blundstones!

Covergirl15
Jan. 1, 2011, 12:45 AM
thanks for all of the responses so far! :)

I had seen the Blundstones in Dover, but didn't know anything about them! What do people think? and how do they fit compared to ariats? (would I get the same size as in the ariats? bigger? smaller?)

Equa
Jan. 1, 2011, 06:04 AM
Blundies are great for everything except riding in - they are dangerous for this!

I am about to send back and make a big complaint about same Ariat zippered boots. I ride 2 horses a day, max. Yes the boots are worn when I am cooling out/hosing horses, bit are dried off and kept indoors in a temperate climate. They are 18 months old. One zip has broken, and the leather is very, very split, in the manner of nasty cheap stuff. OK, they are not top of the line, but they cost about 2x a pair of Blundies or Redbacks, and a company like Ariat should not even produce such crap.

tartanfarm
Jan. 1, 2011, 10:08 AM
I agree about the danger in riding in blundstones. My foot caught in the irons too often to mention, so I don't ever ride in them now.

Also have to agree on the comfort, loved them for everything else.

CobJockey
Jan. 1, 2011, 02:04 PM
I've had my Ariat Performer III's for five years now and I love them. I'm too impatient to unlace them every time, but my ankle is small and hard to fit with zips, so I love the compromise of having a back zipper/front lace. They stood up to four years of daily wear in an equine college program and hiking in Italy and are still going.

The back zipper on one did give out after four years, but I found http://www.nushoe.com which is a certified Ariat repair shop. For $60 (boots cost $120) they put on a brand new Ariat outsole, Ariat insole, laces and really nice metal Ariat zippers - basically a brand new boot except the leather, which I take really good care of and is still as soft and supple as the day I got them. I was really happy with NuShoe's workmanship and customer service. It makes owning Ariats worth it for me.

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 1, 2011, 02:11 PM
Same with Ariat chubs. Dangerous, but will last forever. Too fat. I find that the western boots are super better quality than paddock boots for the same price. However, they don't go well with breeches.

alto
Jan. 1, 2011, 07:58 PM
:confused: doesn't everyone choose their stirrup width based upon the width of the boots used for riding??? I thought it was SOP to use a wider stirrup when you go into your winter boot ...

I know many people that ride in their Blundstones with never a stuck stirrup :yes:

Blundstones are manufactured for the UK market so sizing is rather different, some boxes are labelled with both UK & US sizing; they do fit rather wider than Ariats especially noticeable though the heel (they don't work for me or my kid).

EasyStreet
Jan. 1, 2011, 10:40 PM
Love my Ariats!!! 5 yrs old and going strong!!;)

Equa
Jan. 2, 2011, 01:31 AM
The other problem with Blundies is the thick, ridged sole - riding boots should have a smooth (or smooth-ish) sole.