PDA

View Full Version : I want them OUT

Huntin'Fool
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:16 AM
Dear All:

Do y'all think a hot wire-well 3 hot wires, one @ 5in, one say 20, and the other @ 3ft would keep my neighbor's *obnoxious* dogs out of my pasture?

I live in town (well 700 pop) and we have a leash law-not enforced. My neighbors whom I like just turn their dogs loose when they get home at night and all day on the weekend. I couldn't play in the Christmas Day snow in Ala *in my own pasture* because their 4 dogs were loose.

The bad part is I do like them-they are very good neighbors in many ways. They are however *very* defensive about the fact that they let their dogs run loose and I am sure that if I just say "keep your dogs off my property" no matter how nicely I say it, it'll be the end of the friendship.

The pasture's about 10 acres and I can't afford to fence it as I'd like. Right now I have a horse fence down one side with a 16 ft "aisle" because they also have a stallion and put their fence right on the line-the aisle is mine. The aisle leads to the 10 acre pasture. My plan is to put in a little "entry" @ 4ft long from my fence on one side and theirs on the other, extending the aisle. Then a gate with wire over it at the end. Right next to their fence I'd put my first pole, then others down their fence line, sharp left along my pasture beside the highway to this little yard of a guy at the end of the pasture, along his fence to the creek.

How far apart do you think I can put the posts (cheap metal, stick in the ground ones). And, most importantly, do you think it'll keep them out?

Thanks very much for any help/advice.

Huntin'Fool

StGermain
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:33 AM
My three strands of hotwire doesn't keep my dogs out. My bottom strand is higher than yours, though.

Are you afraid of their dogs, that it keeps you inside? Yes, your neighbors should police their dogs. But you might try to get to know the dogs. My neighbors like the fact that my dogs guard their property, too. In fact, one night my neighbor, (a deputy sheriff), called me to come down with my doberman when she heard a strange noise outside. She stayed in with her gun and her kids. Her hubby was on patrol on the other side of the county.

StG

Huntin'Fool
Dec. 31, 2010, 01:20 AM
Hey,

I do know their dogs and am not afraid of them. My dogs, especially one dog, hate them. I'm afraid if they ever all got together there'd be a big fight-because now, of course, their dogs have thoroughly marked the pasture and consider it "theirs". Plus, their dogs are totally disobedient, they obey me more than the neighbors but they do not "come" etc. If they ran to the nearby highway I'm afraid my dogs would be after them. They have a 70+lb lab, a 70 lb mutt, a small mutt, and an odd bird dog. It would not be a pretty fight.

The truth is while if I had no dogs I wouldn't care I don't want to deal with their dogs running amok while I'm trying to have a peaceful walk. Right now I have to ask "are your dogs in the pasture?" before I can go for a walk. They can tell I don't like it but won't keep them in.

That's cool that your neighbors rely on you-but did you mean the woman is a deputy and she was in the house while you had to patrol? Of course you did have your dog and that's a big detriment to any marauder!

Huntin'Fool

LookmaNohands
Dec. 31, 2010, 06:57 AM
Not that is should be your job but maybe you could train their dogs to stay off your property or to leave when you blow a whistle or something? A whistle followed by something unpleasant (a spray of water) enough times might make them run when they hear the whistle again.

Just a suggestion.

WildBlue
Dec. 31, 2010, 07:39 AM
I'd go maybe 6" and 18", close enough together that they can't avoid both. If any of the dogs can really jump (and figure out they can get past the biting fence that way), 3 ft or even 4 ft might not be high enough. But you can cross that bridge if you come to it.

Just make sure those two low wires are HOT so they get through the thick haircoat of a lab. It's going to be a PITA keeping grass and weeds off, but it should work. I've seen things like gardens and flower beds electrified. Most dogs behave like horses--get nailed once or twice and it'll be a while before they test it again.

chemteach
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:18 AM
I hate when my neighbors' dogs come into my pasture!

f4leggin
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:22 AM
I have my 2 acres fenced with a low 3 strand electric wire fence(plugged in charger). It keeps them in and neighbor dogs out. When we moved here, the property had been vacant for quite awhile, so every animal in the neighborhood used it as a daily toilet area(cats, foxes, dogs). It works wonderfully. It took about a week for everyone(including mine) to get zapped a few times to learn to respect it, but now I'm so glad it did it. The lowest wire is about 10 inches off the ground, highest is about 3 ft. My dogs are not fence jumpers or climbers(2 Aussies and 1 lab).

LauraKY
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:45 AM
Keeps my dogs out of my pasture and the neighbor's dogs as well. Neigbors is at about 4" and above 8", but he has mini Aussies and I have 4 board fence. Mine is just along the bottom board so they can't duck under.

jcotton
Dec. 31, 2010, 09:45 AM
Pepper them with birdshot!!! Repeat as needed.

EquineImagined
Dec. 31, 2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure how your horses are about dogs, but mine go into fight mode now that they've figured out they're bigger than the dogs so for me keeping all dogs, mine included, out of the pasture is a safety issue. The last thing any of us needs is additional vet bills. What works best for us is chicken wire. Every now and then we have to replace the zip ties holding it to the fence, probably should have just used tacks, but it works good. The dogs can't get through it, and the horses aren't poking their heads through the fence to get to the grass on the other side so manes are staying in pretty good condition too. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but not the ugliest either.

jazzrider
Dec. 31, 2010, 11:48 AM
The most important thing is that the tape is hot enough to deter them -- not a low shock they're willing to endur if they really, really want to get in your pasture.

I have an OTTB who runs down dogs and tries to stomp them, so I let all my neighbors know very clearly that we would not be responsible to what happens to their dogs if they come in the pasture. We just had new neighbors move in with two happy dogs and I told them the same thing. They put in invisible fence the next week. :D

For a longer term solution, we spent the first couple of years here buying redline/no climb fencing from Tractor Supply, 200 feet at a time, and installing it around the paddock that surrounds the barn, which connects to our back yard fence so our dogs (who are hound mixes and can't be loose) can be with us. If you do it slowly, it's not as painful financially.

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:08 PM
http://elmira.craigslist.org/grd/2118413125.html

:D

coloredcowhorse
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hahahaha...yep....donkey might work (but they can be pretty nasty on horses as well, esp the jacks). Another thought...llamas....aren't fearful of dogs and intact males (make sure not bottle raised) can be pretty protective about their fields.

Birdshot also works well as does rock salt.

Spray with ammonia water...cured several car chasers on my delivery route.

katarine
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:28 PM
IF they are short haired, maybe. Furry? Nope.

Get a good charger, do the three ground rods like you are supposed to- and run 4-5 strands low and maybe 5" apart...If they can zip through two strands quickly, they'll just blast through. if it sufficiently slows their butts down...I bet it will work. I think your spacing is way off in that regard.

Or a nice sized standard donkey raised with cows. Donkeys raised 'wild' like that will NOT tolerate dogs :)