PDA

View Full Version : Evi Strasser's New Michael Jackson Freestyle

Mike Matson
Dec. 30, 2010, 07:21 PM
Only link is on Facebook. What do you think of it in this practice session?

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=189061354442455

I think it's pretty good except for the music for the "flowing" trot movements which I don't think fits the horse as well as the music for the collected trot and passage.

netg
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:27 AM
It was a fun idea, and I mostly liked the concept/music choice. I had some issues, though.

I thought the beat was too fast most of the time - if you're trying to get your horse to develop more carrying strength and able to slow/keep impulsion, having a beat already slightly faster than you're going seems a problem.

I thought the early passage music actually gave an appearance of unevenness due to the uneven emphasis on the notes.

I liked the walk - it seemed to match the rate of either front/back leg pairs. I tend to dislike an attempt to get music to match all four hoofbeats.

I really disliked the canter music through half passes. I liked the extended canter ok, and loved the pirouette music.

I wish my horse were as nice as her horse, and that I rode as well as she does.

I kind of dislike that much transition between songs, especially when it's as drastic. To me it is too abrupt in this ride and breaks up the flow.

No, I've never made a freestyle, but am working with some local musicians to do my first level this year. I expect it to be much worse, but am trying to learn from others so I can critique my own better and improve.

caddym
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:01 AM
I love Evi, but I don't like this freestyle. The diferent peices of music do not realte to each other. There are too many music transitions. the music doesn't create any drama and the voices singing "change" while she was doing the changes was more stupid then fun

Pony Fixer
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:58 AM
I didn't watch the whole thing. However, I will say I did a MFS this year entirely to MJ music and it was well received, and a LOT of fun.

AJC
Jan. 1, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hate it.. Cliched absolute rubbish music in my opinion. Too fast.

Oberon13
Jan. 1, 2011, 03:47 PM
Meh. I kind of like the idea, but the execution is a little weak. I could see this being used for an exhibition or celebration of some sort...but maybe not competition. The songs don't cohere really well (despite being by the same artist...which is a weak way to "link" songs in many cases). The musical transitions between the collected trot work and the passage/piaffe work were incredibly distracting. And, I find when I'm THAT distracted by the transition in the music, I often believe that the horse messed up in the physical transition within the gaits as well, whether or not he actually did.

And, I'm with caddym, the voices singing "change" during the tempis...too much.

A lovely ride, though!

GreekDressageQueen
Jan. 5, 2011, 09:10 AM
Hate it. I like MJ but I think the music is too disjointed, too fast at times, too many transitions and just irritating to my ear. It totally detracts from an otherwise lovely horse and rider. Sorry, JMHO