PDA

View Full Version : Breastplates in Dressage?

ParadoxFarm
Dec. 30, 2010, 07:25 PM
I've mostly ridden h/j, but have started do ride dressage lately. The horse I am riding seems hard to fit. His saddles tend to slip back. I'm sure it's a matter of proper fit, BUT does anyone use breastplates in dressage? They are so commonplace in h/j, but I don't know that I've seen them with a dressage saddle. I saw ONE ad in Dressage Today (of a Friesian) with a breastplate. I'm just curious now.

butlerfamilyzoo
Dec. 30, 2010, 07:37 PM
Ive seen them at shows now and then. However, you might be surprised to find that dressage saddles sit further back and yours may be ending up where it belongs. You want 2-3 fingers to fit easily between point of shoulder and saddle.

I rode with a crupper on mine for a while but never showed that horse, I'm not sure they are legal, darn forward girth groove would pull my saddle half up the neck after 20 minutes. Got a saddle that fit better and fixed that until she outgrew that too. She now rides western because I've given up fitting her...

ParadoxFarm
Dec. 30, 2010, 07:44 PM
I did watch the Schleese videos on saddle fitting yesterday, so I will check the saddle fit. But I was really curious about the breastplates. The one ad I saw was an Iron Springs Friesian, but I don't know if it was at a show or not.

wildlifer
Dec. 30, 2010, 10:24 PM
Sure you can use a breastplate in the dressage arena. Just make sure it is properly fitted.

alicen
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:00 AM
Point of shoulder? http://m.frontrangefrenzy.com/horsecare/parts_of_a_horse.html

chancellor2
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:05 AM
I use one. It is an "oh sh**" strap for his more exuberant moments.

ParadoxFarm
Dec. 31, 2010, 11:24 AM
I like th "Oh, Shi**" straps at times when I'm jumping. :) Thanks for your input, all. I will go ahead and use one for now.

DustInTime04
Dec. 31, 2010, 01:20 PM
I used one all the time when I evented in my dressage tests. It was also "the style" as well, and not always had a purpose. It is fine, especially because you need it.

butlerfamilyzoo
Jan. 1, 2011, 10:43 AM
Point of shoulder? http://m.frontrangefrenzy.com/horsecare/parts_of_a_horse.html

Well geeze, from that anatomy pic this part of the shoulder doesn't even have a name. Guess I should have said shoulder blade, but I'm sure everyone new what I was referring to... I've taught way too many little kids telling them to place the saddle behind the "pointy part of the shoulder.". :D. Guess the wording has stuck for all eternity.

hoopoe
Jan. 1, 2011, 11:04 AM
breastplates are legal but you do not see them a lot. Most people have their issues resolved through fitting

I agree with what someone else said, most HJ saddles are very far forward and a dressage saddle is designed to sit further back

I would invest in fitting.

you might try crossing the billets so that the back billet buckles to the front buckle

narcisco
Jan. 1, 2011, 08:56 PM
I am riding a horse so uphill, with so much shoulder action, her saddle will slide back, at least for now.

If you are going to use a breast plate, look for one with some elastic that does not restrict the shoulders. I like the eventer 5 point ones. Stylish and functional.

EasyStreet
Jan. 1, 2011, 10:23 PM
I had a mare whose withers looked like an amusement park ride!!:lol::lol::lol: Her barrel was very tubeular so that cobination caused the saddle to work its wat back way beyond the 2-3 finger clearance of the shoulder blade and sitting trot impossible.:eek: I used one on her and my ride improved soo much i wished I had done it sooner!:yes::yes: Use it and enjoy!