PDA

View Full Version : What circumstance do you try to harness in all your riding?

netg
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:43 PM
After my lesson yesterday (my trainer jumped him, I did poles because I was subpar in my riding) I was thinking about how our jumping gaits are the gaits I always try to get while riding dressage. The impulsion is just THERE as he is readying himself to go over a jump and time he's asked, and his back is lifted but not tense.

The leg yields I get on the trail are the ones I always try to get in an arena - the fence seems to add tension.

What situations do you get great work in, and try to translate them into the dressage arena?

alicen
Dec. 30, 2010, 09:20 PM
I really like the impulsion I get just after he's spooked, although it probably wouldn't do to have someone constantly jumping out of the bushes at him.

luchiamae
Dec. 30, 2010, 09:44 PM
I also like the impulsion from a spook.

Behind the 8 Ball
Dec. 30, 2010, 10:01 PM
I look for the edge that comes from windy days, the post spook, the new show grounds etc in one horse. The other I look for feet on the ground, marching in a parade kinda forward but with a softness in the hand. Reverse the energies and the 1st one is dead boring the second is like trying to ride a tornado.

spirithorse
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:03 AM
I have the privilege of having a equine partner that is always on her toes...which means I am literally riding a fire cracker --- except when she is standing still.

netg
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:30 AM
I really like the impulsion I get just after he's spooked, although it probably wouldn't do to have someone constantly jumping out of the bushes at him.

My dogs just looked at me funny for laughing for no apparent reason!

horsefaerie
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:34 AM
I have always told my students that great dressage feels like the horse is spooking at every stride but paying full attention to me.

tempichange
Jan. 1, 2011, 09:31 AM
Jumping up the hill.

ACP
Jan. 1, 2011, 10:35 AM
The walk you get when you have been out on the trail and turn around to go back to the barn. When the horse is relaxed and happy and knows it is headed back to the barn, you get the most amazing walk.

dwblover
Jan. 1, 2011, 12:10 PM
We ride at the beach all the time and when the surf is up I can get some UBER collection while maintaining tons of impulsion. It's actually really nice to feel it and then try to duplicate that in the arena. (Much harder without the waves!;))

snow horse
Jan. 1, 2011, 02:34 PM
I introduced passage to my horse in a lake that we like to frequent by establishing the passage in the water and then taking those steps onto the shore line. Moving the lake-passage to arena passage was an easy transition and the horse learned right from the start that piaffe and passage were no big-deal transitions, nothing to get tense about. I school tempi changes on this same horse hacking out from home. He will sometimes ignore me in the show ring so we can miss a change while he'll never miss one schooling at home. Schooling the tempi's any time, any place kind of approach has made him a little sharper off the aid in the show ring.

When he was younger, he used to leap/plunge/bolt when he shied outside of the ring. Now he passages when something scares him. Much more manageable and much preferred!

dwblover
Jan. 1, 2011, 11:20 PM
That is too funny, snow horse. I also taught my horse to passage in and out of water at the beach. He easily translated it to the ring. And he also has learned to passage instead of spooking or spinning! I LOVE IT!!!! Much easier to sit a nice passage then a 180 degree turn, haha!

rprincess73
Jan. 2, 2011, 03:57 PM
I get AMAZING collection and impulsion on the trail - away from the barn. As well - at any show....right when he gets there.

Now - if I could just find that button when we are back at the barn - then we will be a pretty picture...hehehe.

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 2, 2011, 10:01 PM
Now I wish I had a large puddle nearby!

Fantastic
Jan. 3, 2011, 12:23 AM
I think I'm going to build meself a horsie swimming pool! This would be greatly therapeutic for my mature FEI horse, and then can be used as a training aid for the other young ones! Rent a track hoe, buy some pond liner, add water, and wa-la!! Instant horsie swimming pool!

Thanks so much for the tip!!! :cool:

netg
Jan. 3, 2011, 12:34 AM
I think I'm going to build meself a horsie swimming pool! This would be greatly therapeutic for my mature FEI horse, and then can be used as a training aid for the other young ones! Rent a track hoe, buy some pond liner, add water, and wa-la!! Instant horsie swimming pool!

Thanks so much for the tip!!! :cool:

:lol:

One of the houses we looked at had a pond. Darn our decision to go with better location, value, and more useable land....

I should go next time the eventers are schooling x-country. Or ride in the big arena right now with all the puddles...

ET's Home
Jan. 4, 2011, 07:16 PM
What situations do you get great work in, and try to translate them into the dressage arena?

Put jump junk in your arena....

netg
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:31 AM

:lol:

I wonder if I can keep some in show arenas, too? :lol:

Big Spender
Jan. 5, 2011, 12:17 PM
My dogs just looked at me funny for laughing for no apparent reason!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Big Spender
Jan. 5, 2011, 12:22 PM

THIS!!! I have had my dressage horse for 3 1/2 years and everyday, although sometimes annoying, he spooks at the standards and rails. That would be why I don't jump anymore! :no:

Also, after our first snow storm last Monday, I thought it would be fun to ride in the ring. Apparently besides jumps, he has a major fear of snow? He acted like he had never been in the ring before, snorting every step....and I think I got some beginnings of piaffe and passage :D