PDA

View Full Version : Horses having access to arena?

MXL
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:06 PM
We're clearing land to create a dressage arena and a new paddock, but the way things are laid out, it looks as if the best option is to have the arena accessible to the new paddock. No horses would be out in this paddock when arena is in use, but--and this is the big question--how much damage can turned-out horses (1-2 max) do to an arena, besides pooping in it? Or, should I make sure the arena is fenced off from the turn-out area, even if it creates a weird fencing option? Thanks in advance!

mkevent
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:57 PM
Rolling, pawing and taking off bucking can make the footing uneven. It would require more dragging of the arena. Horses also tend to wear paths going to and from the arena to paddocks, so that could become an issue also.

JMHO, but I'd rather have the arena separate.

Danged Arab
Dec. 30, 2010, 06:12 PM
I have found the same thing as mkevent - arenas that horses have access to are horrible to ride in. They have holes, high spots, dips, wet spots - and, in my experience, lots of manure. It's extremely unpleasant.

Granada
Dec. 30, 2010, 08:05 PM
This is how my sand arena is, it is in the middle of a 6 acre pasture and not fenced off. I would not recomend it, I have just three horses and they sleep, roll, poop, paw in the arena... it's more of their sand play box. They love it :winkgrin: but it's not ideal for riding. We are hoping to fence it off in the spring/summer.

Huntin'Fool
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:20 AM
Hey,

Can't you put the arena in a corner of the pasture? And then you'd only need 2 fence lines to keep the other horses out instead of 4. You could have a gate from the arena to the outside and one from the arena to the pasture-just in case you ever needed it. Then the arena could even be an emergency limited turn out pasture too.

Regards,
Huntin'Fool

MXL
Dec. 31, 2010, 07:59 AM
I'm convinced that I need to have the arena fenced off, and I'm going to re-examine the area to try to make HuntinFool's idea work for us. Thanks to all for the feedback. Needed arguments to make the case to DH. :winkgrin:

ETA: Happy New Year! Here's hoping all our new horse/riding/farm goals make great progress this year.

katarine
Dec. 31, 2010, 01:22 PM
another vote for it's the equine sand box and playstation :)

Dalemma
Dec. 31, 2010, 01:34 PM
Rolling, pawing and taking off bucking can make the footing uneven. It would require more dragging of the arena. Horses also tend to wear paths going to and from the arena to paddocks, so that could become an issue also.

JMHO, but I'd rather have the arena separate.

Don't forget the organic material from the manure and urine can also make a big mess and cause your footing not to drain properly.

Dalemma