PDA

View Full Version : Log splitters? Suggestions, please

katarine
Dec. 30, 2010, 03:42 PM
halfway interested in PTO driven/tractor driven models, but not entirely averse to 'normal' splitters. Don't need anything massive, say 10" logs...

Ideas?

Melissa.Van Doren
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:40 PM
My SO says there's a lot of good models out there that offer a variety of options. He suggest one that can split both vertically and horizontally. Cost wise, one that will take care of 10" logs and last should cost you somewhere in the $1200-1500 range. Briggs and Stratton and Honda are his favorite engines. He likes the free-standing (non-PTO) for ease of maneuvering with a 4-wheeler or similar.

hosspuller
Dec. 30, 2010, 07:06 PM
Tell us more about your needs. I heat my home with wood. The heat pump installed this Fall has been on vacation since the weather turned cool.

First , how much wood are you going to process? A couple of logs for an evening's mood setting ... Get a maul or a hammer and wedge.
Heating a house? fireplace or a wood stove?
what is the longest log you'll be burning?
What kind of wood is available? oak or softwoods? Rough stuff or nice logs? (I have a tree service drop wood that otherwise would go to the dump. Some is tough to split)

SonnysMom
Dec. 30, 2010, 07:15 PM
We heat our house with wood. I strongly suggest a splitter that goes horizontal. You can just roll a bunch of rounds near the splitter, sit on one of the rounds as a seat and start splitting.
We have gotten logger trucks of tree trucks. Some of the resulting rounds you can't lift up onto a vertical splitter. DH would have to split some of them in halves or quarters with a splitting maul first.
TSC has a good selection.

tasia
Dec. 30, 2010, 07:27 PM
I heat my home with wood also :) We usually rent the splitter for about $80.00 for a weekend. Don't know if that would be an option.

katarine
Dec. 30, 2010, 08:20 PM
Like to have a fire on winter nights Nov-Feb time frame. DH would have a fire every night if we had the wood.

Available? mixed hardwoods, nothing huge...nothing longer than 15 to 18", I'd say? Nothing bigger around than a saucer, MAYBE the occasional dinner plate sized log. Source is trees on our place that we've taken down or momma nature took down.

I saw a Huskee 22 HP at TSC that caught my eye for about 1k. He just wants a splitter, and his birthday is in April...I'd like to get him one :)

hosspuller
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:39 AM
I'm with your DH. I enjoy watching the fire. We have a Pacific Energy insert that has a window into the firebox. Better than a TV. No reruns.:yes:

Your wood as described barely needs a splitter. Most of it I would use as cut. Regardless, I'm sure DH would be thrilled to get a honest splitter as you described. He might be inspired to go the whole route and heat with wood.

But ... Unless you have a wood stove, a fire every night will get tiresome fast. A conventional fireplace consumes more wood and heat than it produces heat in the home. Looks great though.

hosspuller
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:44 AM
Like to have a fire on winter nights Nov-Feb time frame. DH would have a fire every night if we had the wood.

I saw a Huskee 22 HP at TSC that caught my eye for about 1k. He just wants a splitter, and his birthday is in April...I'd like to get him one :)

TSC doesn't have a 22 hp splitter. 22 HP would a huge machine. They DO have a 22 ton splitter. The 22 ton refers to the force applied to the log to split it. 22 Ton is a honest splitter for home heating.:D

katarine
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:58 AM
oops thanks that's right...22 ton ;)

So that's likely more than I need?

TheBandit
Dec. 31, 2010, 09:38 AM
We've had a couple of Split-Fire brand log splitters. Powerful, reliable and all the neighbours loved borrowing it. We used to have a free standing gas engine one, now we have a PTO driven one.

Unfforgettable
Dec. 31, 2010, 10:31 AM
The best splitter? My dad. But you can't have him. ;-)

Seriously, at 80 years old, he can split firewood by hand faster than the hydraulic log splitter I used at the same time.
And I'm talking two full cords. ;-)

coloredcowhorse
Dec. 31, 2010, 12:25 PM
halfway interested in PTO driven/tractor driven models, but not entirely averse to 'normal' splitters. Don't need anything massive, say 10" logs...

Ideas?

10 inch logs probably don't really need to be split. Heated with wood for about 20 years and seldom split anything that size unless it was a forked piece.

Good wedge, maul and a mental picture of whoever most deserves to die in your life....put picture on the end of each piece being split....can get a cord or more done in an afternoon with sufficient incentive (ex-husbands are great for this).

hosspuller
Dec. 31, 2010, 02:18 PM
oops thanks that's right...22 ton ;)

So that's likely more than I need?

more than what's needed for the wood you've described, but like I said; Overkill may inspire DH to process bigger, tougher, and more wood.

A splitter run from your tractor hydraulics (PTO driven means another hydro pump & tank) may be more bother to hook up but eliminates another engine to fuel and maintain.

I like being able to pull my splitter out and process without a lot of hassle hooking up to the tractor. Wood heating is enough work.

foggybok
Jan. 3, 2011, 02:46 PM
On sale you can get the 27T for just a little more (I think ours was between 1100-1200). It can handle a lot of wood. We heat with wood so DH does a lot of splitting. Did by hand the first year, then I bought him a log splitter! He loves it!

The towable that can go vertical or horizontal is great

ReSomething
Jan. 4, 2011, 01:53 AM
Just having a log splitter is great. We heated with wood for a dozen years and DH did most of the splitting by hand, then borrowed a home built tag along which he liked, better yet was buying it from the kids down the road split and stacked in the woodshed. The tractor has hydraulic plumbing for the FEL and a secondary line for rear attachments, buying a splitter to run off it vs having yet another small engine to maintain would have been a question except part of the tractor package was a medium sized splitter. We don't do much with it though, the double wide has the typical cutsey mobile home fireplace.

Belg
Jan. 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
My uncle rents one for 8-10 cord every year. Smartest invention ever: A cutting blade on both sides of the ram. No cycle time!

Like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394095_200394095

Belg
Jan. 4, 2011, 10:36 AM
Not sure about this specific make/model, but having one like this saves lots of time.

bathsheba8542
Jan. 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
I use an electric, 7 ton splitter from Harbor Freight. It was a few hundred dollars, and splits 20 inch logs, some up to a foot in diameter (locust, cherry, maple).

tabula rashah
Jan. 6, 2011, 12:43 PM
Here's the one we have (Log Splitter) (http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoor-power-equipment/log-splitters/huskee-reg-22-ton-log-splitter-1032822) . It does a good job, easy to use and move around- we heat our whole house with wood only so we split a lot. I think this is the third year we've had it?

Sparky Boy
Jan. 6, 2011, 01:35 PM
http://www.splitright.com/images/testimonials/RalphWelch.jpg

This is the one we got last year. This is my SO :D. He LOVES that thing!

kasjordan
Jan. 6, 2011, 02:47 PM
We borrow our neighbors and it's a 35 ton- it will split ANYthing. ( You know, like trees that have a 5 foot diameter and fall on certain people's houses LOL) I think the one that Erin showed you would be absolutely perfect for what you want. We really like being able to haul it around on the 4 wheeler, I think your DH would appreciate not having to hook to the tractor every time. I help my DH, I sit on a log as a seat, he sets wood, I pull the handle, he tosses onto the truck- it's a nice system! There'll be no going back though, once he has this, no more getting to watch him swing his axe ;-)

alabama
Jan. 6, 2011, 11:13 PM
I have this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316859_200316859

It is manual but EASY, EASY to split logs. My SO got it for me as a present (he knows the kind of stuff I want!). I wanted a manual one. I was really shocked at how easy it was to split even large logs. (And it's inexpensive!)

Edited to add - You can roll this thing around on it's little wheels. It's very handy. And you can read the reviews that people have added.

I love my little log splitter! :)