PDA

View Full Version : Can one post and sit the trot in the same test?

jpjumper
Dec. 30, 2010, 12:12 AM
The 2011 First Level Tests read "All trot work may be ridden sitting or rising, unless stated."

So, would you understand that to mean that one can sit and post whenever one would like in the same test?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

And Happy New Year to all.

netg
Dec. 30, 2010, 12:22 AM
Feedback I'm hearing from new test symposiums is that yes, you do what you need when you need.

For example, I'll likely sit leg yields as my seat aids seem to help my horse balance himself, but will post most of the rest of the trot work, as he tends to want to lift his front end and shorten into a collected trot if I sit instead of staying as forward as I want for a working trot. Since tension is a big problem for us in new places, I think this is especially important for me.

Beentheredonethat
Dec. 30, 2010, 12:24 AM
Yes, do what you need to do to best ride the test. The tests are written in a way to encourage you to be the best rider. A lot of people are sitting when they are not good enough at it, and it's making it harder for the horse. You may be best at sitting the regular trot, but be able to do a better job at the lengthen by rising, so they really want to encourage you do do that.

AnotherRound
Dec. 30, 2010, 08:10 AM
I would be careful about this. I have been reading the rules and a whole bunch of documentation about showing and somewhere, and, yes, I did see the rule the OP quoted above, but I also saw, and I am too foggy with cold medicine to remember where, I am sorry, I know I read somewhere that you can (in say Training level) post or sit the trot, but you must stick with the one you chose and not sit sometimes and post sometimes. Either/Or. It will take me some time to get home from work and go through my papers and get back to this thread about it, hopefully by then someone else more on top of things will make a comment, but I believe very verystrongly that the answer to your question is an absolute "no". I know I read that somewhere recently, because I was thinking, well, if you are posting, and come to a halt and sit the last few steps to the halt does that count as mixing your posts and sits. then I though, well, posting along, you sit and ask for the canter, did I boo boo? So I know I did read that, so I would be careful and lets find the correct answer. I know I will look it up this evening, sorry I can't get to it before then.

Big Spender
Dec. 30, 2010, 09:04 AM
AnotherRound, I understand what you are trying to say. The "unwritten rule" is to not rise and sit in the same movement, say a 20m circle. You should do one or the other. I always took advantage, as I have a young horse, to rise when it was allowed in the test....especially in the trot lenthenings. When I moved from Training level to First level, I started in the gym to get my core stronger so that I could sit my horse's trot!! :winkgrin:

MysticOakRanch
Dec. 30, 2010, 09:10 AM
I would be careful about this. I have been reading the rules and a whole bunch of documentation about showing and somewhere, and, yes, I did see the rule the OP quoted above, but I also saw, and I am too foggy with cold medicine to remember where, I am sorry, I know I read somewhere that you can (in say Training level) post or sit the trot, but you must stick with the one you chose and not sit sometimes and post sometimes. Either/Or. It will take me some time to get home from work and go through my papers and get back to this thread about it, hopefully by then someone else more on top of things will make a comment, but I believe very verystrongly that the answer to your question is an absolute "no". I know I read that somewhere recently, because I was thinking, well, if you are posting, and come to a halt and sit the last few steps to the halt does that count as mixing your posts and sits. then I though, well, posting along, you sit and ask for the canter, did I boo boo? So I know I did read that, so I would be careful and lets find the correct answer. I know I will look it up this evening, sorry I can't get to it before then.

No, this is not in the rules and never was. Some judges don't LIKE to see people go back and forth, sit some, post some,sit some, post some. But I think that dislike is because many horses will slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up as the rider changes from sitting to posting. It is disruptive to the flow of the test. And some judges don't like the impression that you are "learning to sit" while showing - aka "I can sit a few strides before I lose balance and have to post". If you are learning to sit, then post while showing, learn at home. It is perfectly OK to sit a few strides to canter or to set up a halt, even if you post the rest of the test.

Generally, you should do what makes your horse go best. I agree, for many, sitting the leg yield will result in a better leg yield. Sometimes sitting through the short side and corners will help set up for the trot lengthening. Sitting is almost necessary to set up the canter depart, and for a square halt.

SillyHorse
Dec. 30, 2010, 09:13 AM
You may mix sitting and posting through First level, uless a movement specifically states one or the other. The actual wording on the tests is,
"All trot work may be ridden sitting or rising, unless stated." End of story.

AnotherRound
Dec. 30, 2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the clarification.