PDA

View Full Version : Aureomycin crumbles

farmgirl598
Dec. 29, 2010, 02:34 PM
Anybody use Aureomycin crumbles in their horse feed when horses have colds? Do you use it when they show symptoms, or as a preventative? My sister's ex-barn owner says she fed some to her horses for most of the winter off and on, and never had one get a cold or respiratory infection. :winkgrin: She did not say how MUCH she fed, so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this......

Ghazzu
Dec. 29, 2010, 02:49 PM
Poor use of antibiotics at best.

farmgirl598
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:05 PM
Poor use of antibiotics at best
Could you please elaborate?

Ghazzu
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:51 PM
Throwing antibiotics into animals in the hopes of preventing what might or might not even be a susceptible bacterial infection is poor medical practice.

Many respiratory infections are viral, and therefore do not respond to antibiotic therapy any road.

Tossing antibiotics around in a cavlier fashion is a big reason we are now seeing so many issues with antibiotic resistance. And giving an antibiotic in this manner maximizes the likelihood that when that population of horses does get an infection, it will be resistant to the drug that was previously administered willy-nilly.

No drug is without potential adverse effects. Therefore the decision to administer a dug should be made after a reasonable risk-benefit analysis.

In the particular instance of chlortetracycline administered to horses, it can be associated with enterocolitis.

Would you think it wise to take amoxicillin all winter in the hopes that it *might* keep you from catching cold?

Grataan
Dec. 29, 2010, 05:00 PM
Throwing antibiotics into animals in the hopes of preventing what might or might not even be a susceptible bacterial infection is poor medical practice.

Many respiratory infections are viral, and therefore do not respond to antibiotic therapy any road.

Tossing antibiotics around in a cavlier fashion is a big reason we are now seeing so many issues with antibiotic resistance. And giving an antibiotic in this manner maximizes the likelihood that when that population of horses does get an infection, it will be resistant to the drug that was previously administered willy-nilly.

No drug is without potential adverse effects. Therefore the decision to administer a dug should be made after a reasonable risk-benefit analysis.

In the particular instance of chlortetracycline administered to horses, it can be associated with enterocolitis.

Would you think it wise to take amoxicillin all winter in the hopes that it *might* keep you from catching cold?

Fully and passionately agree with Gazzu.

OP if you feel you must do something, I would have a chat with your vet about things that can be done to support the immune system like supplements and herbs (not that I endorse feeding herbs or what have you willy nilly, but depending on what the client wants to feed many times it is harmless and helps them feel better and if it can't hurt I don't have a problem with it)

farmgirl598
Dec. 29, 2010, 07:53 PM
Okay, and thanks for the advice everyone!