PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Adequan on themselves?

Pocket Pony
Dec. 29, 2010, 11:34 AM
Has anyone ever used Adequan on themselves? What kind of dosing did you use? Did you have any problems or side effects? Did it help with the intended problem?

I know that Adequan is not labeled for human use but I am sure that *someone* out there has tried it.

Comments?

SBrentnall
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:03 PM
The human version of Adequan is called Arteparon. More info here: http://forums.steroid.com/archive/index.php/t-238915.html

up-at-5
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:00 PM
Never used Adequan, but have used Surpass on myself and my husband. They sell Surpass up here under the name Voltoren...7 or 8 bucks a tube at Walmart, vs the $70.00 or so I heard it costs in the US for Surpass.

Sorry to be of no help on the Adequan.

Melyni
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:11 PM
and it works great. I actually make it up with some Keraflex as well and I find it really helps
I take about 100mg per day, in a cold drink.
PM me if you want instructions and a contact.
MW

Villager
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:38 PM
My 25 year old pony gets it once a month. After witnessing such wonderful results, I commented to our vet, 'Boy, this would be great for humans wouldn't it?" He replied he knows of some vets that have personally used it for joints and arthritus and pleased with it, and he wouldn't be afraid to 'give it a go' if needed.

I haven't used Adequen myself personally, but would look into the the Voltoren mentioned earlier(much cheaper).

Coreene
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:45 PM
It can sting. And within a few hours you can feel it start working. Or so I have heard. ;)

horsepoor
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:57 PM
No experience myself, but I do know that one of my vets has used it and says it helped him. But he's very much a do-it-yourselfer. Took x-rays of his own leg after getting kicked...stuff like that.

mroades
Dec. 29, 2010, 09:28 PM
stings like a sonofa....give it to yourself right before bed, then the sting will be gone when you wake up...and yes, its works!
very important to get it deep into the muscle or it bruises..very thick

Pocket Pony
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks! We happen to have some left over from Mr. PoPo's horse . . . we stopped giving it to him when he retired and Mr. PoPo's got some serious knee problems and he's always wanted to try it.

Shall we give it in the bum or thigh?

amastrike
Dec. 29, 2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks! We happen to have some left over from Mr. PoPo's horse . . . we stopped giving it to him when he retired and Mr. PoPo's got some serious knee problems and he's always wanted to try it.

Shall we give it in the bum or thigh?

How much do you like Mr. PoPo? :lol: Probably thigh, because if it causes soreness and bruising, he won't be able to sit down if you do it in the butt.

horsepoor
Dec. 30, 2010, 01:58 AM
Okay, this just screams video opportunity. Then you could have Mike Matson post the link! :lol:

At least take some before and after video to see if it really helps -- Mr PoPo trotting along "lame" in the before video and then after treatment and we can all see if it does anything.

starrunner
Dec. 30, 2010, 08:57 AM
A vet I know used it on herself after a knee injury and said it worked extremely well. :)

Better than anything her human physician could offer her (granted this was some time ago, so not sure what's changed in human medicine).

Grataan
Dec. 30, 2010, 01:12 PM
What? Vets treating themselves and self-radiographing? NEVAR!

Where's that innocent whistling eyes emoticon?

Pocket Pony
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:48 PM
Okay, this just screams video opportunity. Then you could have Mike Matson post the link! :lol:

At least take some before and after video to see if it really helps -- Mr PoPo trotting along "lame" in the before video and then after treatment and we can all see if it does anything.

He said he would trot out in-hand but he will not do a flexion test ever! Said he'll always come out a 5/5 on that! :lol:

He'd going to do it to himself tomorrow in the thigh...:eek:

mroades
Dec. 30, 2010, 08:31 PM
yep, thigh is good....

lucky dog farm
Dec. 31, 2010, 04:58 PM
Oohh. This is a GOOD thread. I have been dying to try this myself to see if it worl=ks before I go have Synvisc but have been a bit two chicken. Cam Mr PoPo tell us all how it goes? How much did it hurt? Is it working? How often and how much? Please spill the beans. Thank you

milsherm
Dec. 31, 2010, 06:53 PM
yes it works ! just finished loading does on Dec. 10 I have osteoarthritis in my hip and I use vicodan regularly to allow me to ride and and do other things that I enjoy. I used 1ml every 4 days for 8 doses (I weigh 225 lbs) noticed minimal results after 2 doses and fantastic results from the 4th dose on. still not sure how long I will be able to go between maintenence doses ,I've heard everywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months . a couple of things to remember, stop taking anti-inflamitory drugs about a week prior to treatment ,they thin the blood and so will adequan (a little) and don't use if you have bleeding or clotting Issues. I do alot of things that cause cuts & scratches but I found that I bled less with the adequan than with the anti inflamitories once you finish the loading dose it does not seem to make much difference . I hate needles and was very nervous about doing this but the releif has been fantastic! I used the smallest 1" needle I could find, in my upper hip,felt around to make sure I would hit muscle (very important) it only caused a slight sting (sometimes none at all) that went away in 15 min or less the worst part was getting up the nerve to give myself the shot!

jawa
Dec. 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
I would so much rather take one shot a month than swallow a pill a day for the rest of my life!!

milsherm
Dec. 31, 2010, 07:20 PM
just remember adequan is not approved for human use and you need a percsription from a vet .I used a very conservitave dose which may have something to do with the lack of stinging or other side effects. I joined this forum today to share this info as I have been considering this for over a year and all of the accounts I have read were either bodybuilders taking double or triple doses or the friend of a friend type of story. I just got desperate and jumped in because I could find no accounts of serious side effects when moderate doses were used.I hope this info is of help to anyone considering this. I am only one person and anyone wanting to try this should research this fully on your own before you make a decision . good luck!

Pocket Pony
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:26 PM
milsherm, thanks for sharing your story! Mr. PoPo did his first shot today - the only dosing we could find was .5ml once a week but I will let him know your protocol, also. He has given himself shots before so he knew what to expect, but I think was still a little :eek: about shooting himself up with horse meds! :lol:

rizzodm
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:59 PM
WARNING!!! Discontinue use on humans if you experience any of the following symptoms: Craving of hay, galloping and or prancing, snorting and or whinnying, pawing, tail growth, nipping and sleeping standing up:D

Happy New Year!!!

Dawn

milsherm
Dec. 31, 2010, 10:41 PM
I didn't think that any of those were serious enough to worry about . my wife might be hoping that I develop other horse like traits:lol:

jdeboer01
Mar. 22, 2013, 01:41 PM
I wanted to resurrect this thread and find out if any more people had ever tried Adaquan on themselves OR tried Pentosan on themselves? I'm especially curious about the Pentosan, as so many people are saying it works betteron their horses creaky, arthritic joints than Adaquan does.

Lady Eboshi
Mar. 22, 2013, 08:18 PM
Oh my bloomin' GAWDS, where's Delta when we really need her???!! :lol:

lucky dog farm
Mar. 23, 2013, 08:25 AM
I have done the Adequan and it did help - a lot! I would love to try the Pentosan since I have such bad arthritis in my knee and I have seen what it has done for my old horses and dogs. In my honest opinion, the Pentosan has helped them far more than the Adequan ever did. I have pills for the dog and have often thought of popping a couple just to see how it would affect me. I mean, it probably isn't as bad for me than all the Advil/Aleve/ Tramadol I have to take to just function in my everyday life

jdeboer01
Mar. 23, 2013, 10:37 AM
I have done the Adequan and it did help - a lot! I would love to try the Pentosan since I have such bad arthritis in my knee and I have seen what it has done for my old horses and dogs. In my honest opinion, the Pentosan has helped them far more than the Adequan ever did. I have pills for the dog and have often thought of popping a couple just to see how it would affect me. I mean, it probably isn't as bad for me than all the Advil/Aleve/ Tramadol I have to take to just function in my everyday life

Lucky dog, when you did the Adaquan, how did you dose yourself and where did you inject? Also, how long was it before you noticed improvement?

wendy
Mar. 23, 2013, 11:09 AM
how do you convince your vet to write a scrip for you? or are you stealing your poor horse's meds?

Baroquecoco
Mar. 24, 2013, 05:15 PM
I have used the Adequan on myself. Works pretty quickly but it last no where near a month. It does not sting nearly as bad in the backside as anywhere else.
:lol:

Lieslot
Mar. 25, 2013, 08:50 AM
Ichon has been labtested to be the exact same as Adequan and is available without prescription for those interested.
You can get it thru Rood & Riddle or kvsupply.com

http://www.rrvp.com/mobile/dvmresources/ichon500mgvial.htm?moreinfo

http://www.kvsupply.com/ichon-5-vials-5-ml-each-100-mg-per-ml

I don't use it on myself (a bit too squeemish for that, lol) but have used Ichon on my horses with the same results as Adequan, only cheaper :).