PDA

View Full Version : Dressage/sporthorse vet in the Raleigh/Durham area

honeylips
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:59 AM
Any recommendations for a PPE. Must have mobile digital xray and ultrasound capability.

Cosette
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:19 AM
Dr. Sally Vivrette, http://triangleequine.com/

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
Do not use Neuse River Vet. PM me for more info.
I've been here a year and still don't have a vet I trust.
Dr. Jen Barry was great but she just moved to AZ

AzuWish
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:21 PM
Blades McKnight serves that area. She's a vet and also an excellent chiropractor.

elvis
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:24 PM
I highly recommend Dr. Vivrette. She is excellent with sporthorse medicine and is very thorough on pre purchase exams. She is a successful competitor in dressage as well. She knows what is expected of a hard working competition horse.

Eventer13
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'll also recommend Dr. Vivrette- very thorough in her PPE and definitely knows first-hand what would be required physically of the horse. However, I'm not sure she has a mobile ultrasound unit.

I'm not sure if Blades is still doing PPEs, I believe she is pretty much focusing on chiro and acupuncture.

ElizaS
Dec. 29, 2010, 04:08 PM
Another vote for Sally Vivrette. She does VERY thorough PPEs. If you can't get Sally, PM me, and I can recommend a couple others.

AzuWish
Dec. 29, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure if Blades is still doing PPEs, I believe she is pretty much focusing on chiro and acupuncture.

Yeah I wasn't sure if she was still sticking with veterinary stuff with her new practice. I'll have to ask her! :)

dalpal
Dec. 29, 2010, 06:20 PM
Do not use Neuse River Vet. PM me for more info.
I've been here a year and still don't have a vet I trust.
Dr. Jen Barry was great but she just moved to AZ

Be careful what you post on the internet. Neuse River is actually a damn good vet practice. Sorry, you've had a bad experience, but not something that you should be posting on an internet message board.

Sorry, you can't find a vet that you trust....but many of us have been very happy with Neuse River.

OP...my recommendations would be Neuse River or Sallee Vivrette.

Not every vet/farrier is everyone's cup of tea. I certainly have my "never use again" list...but that doesn't mean that practice is "BAD" for everyone..and I certainly wouldn't stick my neck out on the internet and tell someone "DONT USE" so and so.

Blume Farm
Dec. 29, 2010, 07:51 PM
This may not be useful for you but Dr. Bob Grisel of Atlanta Equine comes to the area on a regular basis and is scheduled to be back in the area in Feb '11.

He is expensive but phenomenal and ONLY does equine sports medicine. He is a board certified equine surgeon but has solely focused his work on the equine athlete.

He is thorough and will spend an incredible amount of time explaining things and going over every detail of the exam. He does extensive follow up discussions. He would be the only vet I would use for a PPE...I have no experience with the other vets mentioned and they are probably great but Dr. Grisel is that rare gem. And FWIW I am a small animal vet and wish I had the talent he has in one finger!

JA
Dec. 29, 2010, 07:59 PM
NC is a blackhole when it comes to vets and farriers especially having moved here from PA/NJ/NY area or coming from California.

Rich Redding at NCSU is excellent if you can get into see him. Fernando Cardenas from 3H is pretty good as is Jack Shuler, Chapel Hill Equine Associates.

I have never heard of Sally Vivrette and don't have experience with the others. A person in my barn who rode with Steffan Peters uses Fernanado for her GP prospect. I've used all 3 listed above for my jumper but for complicated matters I still defer to Tim Ober, Jim Mitchell and John Steele's clinic. PM me if you want more info

EqTrainer
Dec. 29, 2010, 08:35 PM
Sally is very good. If you are buying, do understand that she is *extremely * thorough and is going to present you with a clinical PPE that you will then have to sort thru. Nothing bad about that, just something to know.

honeylips
Dec. 29, 2010, 08:41 PM
I know Dr Bob Grisel and he is good.
Dr Cardenas and his staff is conflicted as he has looked after the horse and is this barn's regular vet.
Good news is Dr Vivrette went to UC Davis out here at the same time as my vets out here and they were good with using her. So she will "do the honors" on Friday.
Fingers crossed.

Pookah
Dec. 29, 2010, 08:57 PM
You will love Sally, she is fantastic.

ridingarts
Dec. 30, 2010, 11:44 AM
I know Dr Bob Grisel and he is good.
Dr Cardenas and his staff is conflicted as he has looked after the horse and is this barn's regular vet.
Good news is Dr Vivrette went to UC Davis out here at the same time as my vets out here and they were good with using her. So she will "do the honors" on Friday.
Fingers crossed.

Good luck with the PPE!

I just wanted to cast another vote for Bob Grisel - he does travel throughout the area, even though he is based up north of Atlanta. He is my "leg guy" and is VERY thorough on his PPE's as well.

KatherineC
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:31 PM
Another vote for both Dr. Grisel and Sally. I recently had Sally do a PPE on a horse for my daughter. I videotaped the flexions and sent them to Dr. Grisel for his interpretation. Also sent pictures of the legs and feet.

Dr. Grisel is brilliant for lameness/soundness issues. Sally is exceptional at internal medicine. I don't find him more expensive than anyone else. He will consult over the phone.

honeylips
Dec. 30, 2010, 06:45 PM
Yes - I do know dr grisel. I used him when I lived in atlanta many years ago and used him on a PPE on a horse I bought a couple of years ago in atlanta as well.

NCSue
Dec. 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
Another vote for Dr. Sally. She's often the show vet at USDF shows held in Williamston, NC. Very personable and has a thorough knowledge. I've also been very pleased with Neuse River.

walkers
Dec. 30, 2010, 08:48 PM
There are many excellent equine vets in the RDU area. we are very lucky to have so many choices but if I wanted a PPE I would use Dr. Cardenas because not only is he a very experienced vet but he is a excellent horseman. He is still competing and winning.He is a beautiful rider. I strongly believe that if you want a vet who can tell you if a horse will be a good prospect for a certain discipline than that vet has to be a horseman.
When I'm looking at lameness, conformation or soundness issues I want a vet who is also a rider. I think the reason is obvious as we all know that you can't learn to look at a horse in that way from a textbook.

honeylips
Dec. 30, 2010, 09:48 PM
There are many excellent equine vets in the RDU area. we are very lucky to have so many choices but if I wanted a PPE I would use Dr. Cardenas because not only is he a very experienced vet but he is a excellent horseman. He is still competing and winning.He is a beautiful rider. I strongly believe that if you want a vet who can tell you if a horse will be a good prospect for a certain discipline than that vet has to be a horseman.
When I'm looking at lameness, conformation or soundness issues I want a vet who is also a rider. I think the reason is obvious as we all know that you can't learn to look at a horse in that way from a textbook.

I do agree, but as I said before - Dr Cardenas is conflicted as he is this farms vet and has seen this particular horse.

wildlifer
Dec. 30, 2010, 10:15 PM
I've sent you a PM -- I have used a vet that many on here recommend. I will never use them again and have seen multiple examples of their practice's unethical and unsound practices. And I am not the only witness of this.

I now use Dr. Bob Rednour with Large Animal Vet -- he is a great guy and a great vet. Very practical, with a lot of sporthorse experience; he actually used to event himself and works on plenty of high end jumpers and dressage horses, so he knows what he is looking at and has a good natural eye.

kayandallie
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:50 AM
I once tried to buy a horse in Raleigh/Durham. My vet here recommended a vet there who was rejected by the owner of the horse who was also a vet. I didn't end up buying the horse because couldn't get her vetted. I didn't have a lot of confidence in the integrity of the seller/barn and didn't want anyone other than who my vet had recommended.
Good luck with your PPE! I hope it goes well and you get a nice horse. Is this another for you? If it turns out well, share the details of your new horse!

JA
Dec. 31, 2010, 06:17 PM
Wildlifer- That is exactly why I said NC is a blackhole for vets and farriers.

One of the vets mentioned on here several times looked at a horse that was dead lame with a hot foot and pulse, shod within the previous week and ignored the foot and instead said it was a major soft tissue injury WITHOUT blocking.

That's why I always defer to Tim Ober, Jim Mitchell or John Steele and their practice. There is however an excellent practice in Tryon that I believe Mary Dell uses.

honeylips
Dec. 31, 2010, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately the PPE results weren't what I was looking for - so I have had to pass. Bummed.

Pookah
Jan. 1, 2011, 05:41 PM
:(. So sorry it didn't work out, but better than finding out after you wrote a check.