PDA

View Full Version : Cobra/stallion braids

honeylips
Dec. 28, 2010, 11:58 PM
Can someone repost the link on how to do these?
I am good at regular button braids and normally do 7-9 braids each time - but wonder if there is a special way to do these and get that fluffier/wider top of the braid and still get them to "hold" their shape.
Thanks!

Wild Rose
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:25 PM
I don't know what cobra braids are, but I'm interested in learning. Do you have a photo?

thatsnotme
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:52 PM
I do these-on my mare. I've never heard them referred to as stallion braids, but european. Matinee wore them... Anyways, the best ones you'll see (IMHO) are on Totilas. Pull up any picture of him and you'll see them-beautiful! For me to do them, the mane has to be a bit longer than normal. Pull together 2 or 3 times what you would use for regular braids. Brush it straight up above the neck and 'quick braid' the heck out of it. When you then braid it, you still have that lift on the tops. I braid with yarn and sew it off as normal, then tie the whole braid in a half knot against the neck. Use the thread remaining to stitch the end. They stay quite well, but are a B(^&* to take out!

ACP
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Pull together 2 or 3 times what you would use for regular braids. Brush it straight up above the neck and 'quick braid' the heck out of it. When you then braid it, you still have that lift on the tops.

Duh. Maybe it is just me, but as the fellow said, "Do what?"

AllWeatherGal
Jan. 1, 2011, 07:39 AM
Spray it with lots of a product called "Quick Braid," which is hairspray for manes. (http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,3064.html)