PDA

View Full Version : Cheap way to get electricity out to an electric fence

Kate66
Dec. 28, 2010, 11:48 PM
Undoubtedly someone will come on an point out the error of my ways - I'm sure it's probably not the best idea but works pretty well!

We put a long extension cable inside of a hose pipe and dug it about 8" under the ground. It runs about 120' to our fence, where we put up a pole and put the electric charger on the pole. We did put one of those rectangular kitty litter boxes over it, to keep it dry - no tackiness here though - we had the good grace to paint the box blue.

We always had issues with the solar chargers but this way we can have an electric charger without the expense of getting an electrician out and having to find a non-existent spare fuse on our fusebox.

csuebele
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:04 AM
The barn we are at was and is an electrician's nightmare. I've fixed some of the issues but not all of them, as it is not my property and I'm doing it on my dime. Electrical codes are there for a reason. Though not an electrician - I'm sure someone else knows the specs better than I do, but an electrical cable should be buried at least 18". This is to protect the poor fool who doesn't realize that there is a live electrical wire buried just 8" below the ground, which would be easy to damage with a shovel, even in a garden hose. PVC conduit is cheap: only about a dollar or so for a 10' length.

horsepoor
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:21 AM
I guess I don't understand why not mount the charger near where you have electricity (no need for extension cord, etc.), then run an insulated wire out to the fence? You can bury the insulated wire (and protect within conduit if you wish) and it would be a whole lot safer, I would think, than an extension cord set-up.

Hey, anything is safer than the last barn I was boarding at here locally (and why I am home now!) -- extension cord from barn to charger, ran through corner of arena (yep, horse got caught in it...), through standing water, across gravel of parking lot and directly in front of barn door -- so any equipment coming into arena drove over it, horses coming from paddocks walked over it, stall cleaners walked over it to dump manure.... Quite the safety poster, that place!:lol:

Kate66
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:24 AM
Thankfully the only fools that are here are me and my husband so hopefully neither of is will be daft enough to dig it up again. It may actually be more than 8" - that was a random guess, we did it some time ago. When we sell this place, hopefully sometime next year, we'll be taking out extension cable with us, so it won't cause any future owner an issue.

Kate66
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:26 AM
Horsepoor - good question... I "think" although can't really remember, that the reason was that if we put the charger in the barn (concrete floors) we would have struggled to put the ground wires in anywhere remotely close to the charger.

sk_pacer
Dec. 29, 2010, 02:07 AM
What I did was put the charger in the workshop, hooked the terminals to a piece of heavy duty extension cord that had a fatal meeting with a snowblower and put that out the window, complete with connectors for the wire and the ground rod. Charger is inside, out of the way, and has been ticking on merrily for 4 years now and no need for trenching, cladding, etc.

dmalbone
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:02 AM
I guess I don't understand why not mount the charger near where you have electricity (no need for extension cord, etc.), then run an insulated wire out to the fence? You can bury the insulated wire (and protect within conduit if you wish) and it would be a whole lot safer, I would think, than an extension cord set-up.

Ditto... you're basically doing the same thing as a correct setup (in theory) but with an extension cord instead of insulated underground wire in conduit and with the box on the wrong end. Many barns have concrete floors, it's not really an issue with the ground rods. Just mount the box inside on an exterior wall and have your insulated wire going from the box through a small hole in the barn near the floor, outside to right out behind the barn in the dirt where the ground rods are.

Tom King
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
Half day trencher rental:
http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/equipment.aspx?itemid=0370005&catid=s185

UF 10/2 with ground. Length as needed. Does come on rolls longer than 250' and some places sell by the foot.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_70353-295-13056755_0__?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=3138985&UserSearch=10%2F2+uf&Ntt=10%2F2+uf&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151

Dig trench first, then measure and go buy the wire when you take the machine back. Buy some extra feet.

baysngreys
Dec. 29, 2010, 11:40 AM
Solar Charger.

I a FiShock charger from Lowes. It is 4 years old, runs great. It supplies electricity to hot wire around several paddocks, perimeter fencing and a taped temporary paddock.

And it definitely give a good shock - ask me how I know!!

cyndi
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:11 PM
We use a battery charger where it was inconvenient to run electricity. We've not had good luck with solar chargers either.

LookmaNohands
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
I use a fence charger that works off of 4 D batteries. My horses are only out during the day so I turn it off at night. Batteries last for more than a month.

dmalbone
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:58 PM
I use a fence charger that works off of 4 D batteries. My horses are only out during the day so I turn it off at night. Batteries last for more than a month.

I've never seen those! What kind is it? What voltage does it put out?

DMK
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:08 PM

Is that the wee little model that is supposed to be good for 10 miles line or so? I had a pony that laughed so hard as he took down all 2 miles of fencing (thankfully all within 4 board perimeter fencing).

We ended up doing what others did - put it inside and run lines out for ground and to the point of fencing. MUCH cheaper than extension cords, but hey, whatever works...

coloredcowhorse
Dec. 29, 2010, 05:22 PM
When I bought this place I noted electrical outlets out near the front horse fence...they were, however, dead. I haven't had time to dig up the 200 feet of wire and find out why its dead (breaker is off in the pumphouse where the breaker box is) and replace it yet so....bought a battery operated charger and a big deep cycle marine type battery. Runs the charger for 45 days more or less (around almost 20 acre field) and recharges in just a couple hours on the battery charger. When I get the buried wire for this field fixed the battery charged one and the battery will go across the road to the next field that needs work....there are outlets over there too that are also dead. Love buying a place where everything needs repairs (but the view is great, the price was right and its paying for itself so can't complain a lot!)

Almost Heaven
Dec. 29, 2010, 07:12 PM
We've had good luck with 12v solars. The little ones aren't worth $hit.

Some horses have no respect for electric in any form. One trainer I know finally had to put 120v live to teach a Saddlebred stallion to leave the fence alone.

coloredcowhorse
Dec. 29, 2010, 09:27 PM
ZZZZZAAAAAPPPPPP!! Bet that lit him up!!

Had a tree branch fall on my fence one night and broke the top wire. I was headed out the driveway and noticed it, stopped to fix it. Had a pair of insulated handled pliers so found one end (the dead end of course) and put a loop with a twist in it, snagged it onto a post and then went looking for the other end...not thinking about it being the "live" end. Tall grass outside the pasture...you got it!....bent over to look for it and the end of it poked me right in the middle of the forehead....sat me right down on my tail! Next time I go turn it off first!!

csuebele
Dec. 30, 2010, 10:54 AM
ZZZZZAAAAAPPPPPP!! Bet that lit him up!!

Had a tree branch fall on my fence one night and broke the top wire. I was headed out the driveway and noticed it, stopped to fix it. Had a pair of insulated handled pliers so found one end (the dead end of course) and put a loop with a twist in it, snagged it onto a post and then went looking for the other end...not thinking about it being the "live" end. Tall grass outside the pasture...you got it!....bent over to look for it and the end of it poked me right in the middle of the forehead....sat me right down on my tail! Next time I go turn it off first!!

I did something like that. My hot wire runs along a pipe corral, so I grounded it to the pipes rather than pounding in a grounding rod. One day I was lazy and trying to get a big ladder through the fence. Had both hand on the fence and hit my back on the hot wire. Wow! Nice and tingly for awhile!