PDA

View Full Version : Water Hog Door Mats

bluemooncowgirl
Dec. 28, 2010, 01:40 PM
Between my DH (grading contractor) and myself (barn manager), we bring in enough dirt and mud to fill in a swimming pool. Lately with the frozen weather, we've been tracking in "wet yuck" as well. I try to enforce the "no work boots inside" rule, but it doesn't always work. (I've totally given up on ever having a clean kitchen floor for more than an hour!)

Has anyone tried the Water Hog door mats? I was wondering if they were worth the money and thought I'd ask my fellow farming COTHers for opinions.

marta
Dec. 28, 2010, 04:40 PM
my BFF bought a little farmette this summer.
lovely house but no mud room, you walk right into the front foyer. now that we got hit with all the snow, she's complaining about the dirt tracking all over the house. she has towels thrown down but i was thinking one of these would look a lot better than a bunch of old towels ;)

so before i go buying it, i would also love to know - do they work?

horsepoor
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:02 AM
Funny, I was just thinking about these today, with all our rain and resulting muck and yuck. No input, other than they look good in the catalogs, and I want to know too - -do they work?!

Dorienna
Dec. 29, 2010, 07:34 AM
I got one for Christmas from my mom, who is a big LLBean shopper, and although I can't attest for its durability just yet, i already LOVE it! I gather it was more expensive than a standard door mat, but it really does absorb a lot more and looks good too. My husband also works in construction and the "boots-off-in-the-house" policy is not yet in place since we are still in construction (new house with lots to do but we live in it); the mat helps a tremedous amount. Nothing i hate more than *me* taking my boots off, to step in their mess:-(

Ware Whip!
Dec. 29, 2010, 07:50 AM
Sam's Club has a 'copy' that is every bit as good as the LLBean mat, at less than half the price.

They are excellent, we have both.

Skip's Rider
Dec. 29, 2010, 08:05 AM
I have one. It's better than the cheapo mats, but it's not the greatest. It does not absorb most of the water off your boots even after you wipe your feet a bunch of times. If your shoes are wet, you will track water/mud onto your floor. It also doesn't help a lot with the muddy paws. At my house, it does trap a lot of the pine needles which I do appreciate. However, it's hard to get all those needles out of the mat. The other down side is that you can't just throw it in the washer. It definitely is VERY durable.

bluemooncowgirl
Dec. 30, 2010, 01:49 PM
There's no muddy paws or pinestraw to deal with here, just workboots. I might try the Sam's Club version and see how well it works. With the snow finally melting here, it WILL be put to the test!