PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Warm Breeches?

Maude
Dec. 28, 2010, 09:31 AM
I am in need of another pair of warm breeches. I have an old pair of Irideon knee patch polar fleece ones. I tried new ones of the same brand and they don't fit the same. The new Irideons don't seem to have the same stretch, or my old are just stretched out. The mediums are too small and the large are big. Both sizes ride down in the back when I sit. I tried the Kerrits polar fleeces also and the larges are big in the waist and belly, but the legs are tight. So, I am searching for another pair of warm breeches for the winter. Knee patch or full seat. Maybe my FITS breeches just have me spoiled. (I have 4 pairs of them). Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am about 5"8", 140 pounds and long/high waisted. Thanks!

paintlady
Dec. 28, 2010, 10:02 AM
I'm 5'8" and 128 lbs. I love the FITS wind pro. I wear a size medium - they're a little loose, but not baggy. I only have 1 pair of the FITS wind pro, but that is enough for the amount of riding I'm able to get done in the winter.

caddym
Dec. 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
I'm 5'9" 140. I love the pikeur winter weight.

I've also tried boink's which are very warm and the irideon.

Personally, I don't like pull ups and I don't like black.

paintlady
Dec. 28, 2010, 11:29 AM
PS - VTO Saddlery has a 20% sale on now. They carry the FITS wind pro (got my pair during their Black Friday sale).

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/

Carol O
Dec. 28, 2010, 02:40 PM
I make my own with polar fleece ordered from Malden Mills and on old Simplicity pattern fro workout tights. A fraction of the price, and they work great!

Maude
Dec. 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
Just got back from Dover Saddlery. F.I.T.S Wind Pro breeches on sale for $199.00! Got a pair of them and Mountain Horse Forest Rider outer pants/breeches for $68.00! The outer pants are warm and zip up the legs to the waist with a zip fly and snap. Still more than I wanted to spend, but I take care of my stuff so it lasts forever. Now I have a warm pair of F.I.T.S. and can wear my other F.I.T.S. under my Forest Riders. Not important in the big picture/scheme of things worldwide, but important to me. :)

buck22
Dec. 28, 2010, 03:23 PM
I am so pleasantly surprised with how warm, toasty, comfortable and resilient Tropical Riders Toasties are! Shocked really, they're thin but SO warm and seem to really block wind without being a 'noisy' fabric. They shed hair, mud and hay amazingly well and look new and clean all week.

And they stretch very well and keep their stretchy properties. I too am between M and L in many brands and my L TR's conform perfectly.

I have kneepatch but they also offer full seat in clarino or deerskin. The deerskin is lovely and so hard wearing, I have several regular pairs of tights in deerskin full seat, so easy to care for.

I've never been so pleasantly surprised with riding apparel before, and I own a few pair of fits too. Not the wind pros though.

springplainsfarm
Dec. 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
I second Tropical Rider's Toasties- very comfortable and warm. I just wore a pair for the 1st time today and will be ordering a second. I have Enduracool for the Summer and love the deerskin.

If you get on their email list, they have pretty good sales.

KatherineC
Dec. 28, 2010, 07:04 PM
FITS wind Pro. Keep me warm and toasty.

Fantastic
Dec. 28, 2010, 07:11 PM
I usually wear Tropical Riders or Ariat fleece full seats, but for the first time this year I am wearing my summer weight Tropical Riders Endura Cool Full Seats with these $5.98 Wind River Microfiber Long Underwear underneath, and I couldn't be happier! I am very warm, but not too warm, and pretty darn wind resistant (but I mainly ride in my indoor). I put Nike Nylon pants over the breeches so I can feed and do farm work, and then just peel off the nylon pants when I'm ready to ride. Both the breeches and long underwear layers are thin enough to allow me to still wear my Konigs, and I put Muck Boot Futi's over my boot. I cannot wear my Konigs with fleece breeches, unfortunately, and riding in floppy ankle half chaps always feels weird to me.

Wind River Microfiber Long Underwear:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170533814044&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D1705338140 44%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Muck Boot Futi Boot Covers:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/the-futi-riding-boot-protectors/p/X1-3798/cn/1943/

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 28, 2010, 07:21 PM
tuff rider has a winter breech that i've worn down to 17* without getting cold. and they run about $50

Simbalism
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:33 AM
Another fan of the Tropical Rider Toasties. I have four pair(1 knee patch in tan, 2 full seats in tan, 1 black full seat). I get the low rise as they seem to sit at my natural waist better. They have good stretch and maintain their stretch even after being washed. They are pretty durable as well as I wear mine trail riding and all pairs still look new(no snags). I agree that once you get on their email list you get lots of sale email. I also like their summer weight tights.

K.
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:17 AM
I'm a breech snob, I love my Arista cord britches. So toasty!

citydog
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:24 AM
Another vote for the Tropical Rider Toasties. I get the low rise (more of a regular, not-in-your-armpits rise). If it's below 0ºF I'll wear chaps over them, but they're perfectly comfy down to that if I'm properly dressed on my top half and on my feet.

Somantu
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:35 AM
Love TR Toasties - I gave my coach a pair last Christmas, and this year my hacking buddy got a pair. Now we're all set for a typical Canadian winter.

I have a couple of deerskin ones, but w/Ultrasuede patches they're quite nice as well - and a bit more affordable.

n2dressage
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:06 AM
I just bought a pair of Tropical Rider Toasties from someone on Bits and Barter and am waiting on them to come in; it's good to hear so many nice things about them as I've never tried them! I have a pair of the Kerrits Sit Tight N Warm and I like them as well. The front of my thighs always stay cold though no matter what I do it seems. :(

scubed
Dec. 29, 2010, 10:52 AM
Irideon wind pro hands down. Best prices here: http://www.classicsaddlery.com/closeouts/winterclothingirideon.htm

I also like the Boinks: http://www.boinkcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=product.display&Product_ID=129&category_id=13

and just bought a pair of FITS (but haven't worn them yet): http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=7733

I personally do not like the Kerrits and find many of the lower price ones to allow the wind to blow right through.

buck22
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:46 PM
TR is having a sale on some of their Toasties "elements", just got a new pair!

http://tropicalrider.com/product_detail.asp?p=142

ElizaS
Dec. 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
Another vote for the FITS Wind Pro. You can get them in a pretty tan color as well as the black. I have both and have really needed them this winter!!

Houdini1220
Dec. 29, 2010, 04:08 PM
Tropical Riders here.....loooooove them, just the right amount of stretch....very warm....I have the full seat ones.

springplainsfarm
Dec. 29, 2010, 08:09 PM
Another fan of the Tropical Rider Toasties. I have four pair(1 knee patch in tan, 2 full seats in tan, 1 black full seat). I get the low rise as they seem to sit at my natural waist better. They have good stretch and maintain their stretch even after being washed. They are pretty durable as well as I wear mine trail riding and all pairs still look new(no snags). I agree that once you get on their email list you get lots of sale email. I also like their summer weight tights.

Just got an email today that Ice Blue toasties are 40% off with promo code "ICE" and Toastie Elements are 30% off.

Simbalism
Dec. 30, 2010, 01:42 AM
I got the same email and think I am going to try the elements, maybe in espresso.

Forte
Dec. 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
I love my winter weight Pikeur breeches. They are fleece lined on the inside and oh so toasty.

Carol O
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:51 PM
I love my winter weight Pikeur breeches. They are fleece lined on the inside and oh so toasty.

Now that sounds nice! What is your source?

MeghanDACVA
Dec. 31, 2010, 09:53 PM
I have a pair of Boinks I got on Ebay some yrs ago. I LOVE them. I have a couple of other more "traditional" name brands and don't like them near as much.
I would like a pair of FITS as I have a pair of their regular breeches. But I am hesitant to spend the $ for them not knowing if I will like them. And I have t admit that while it does for sure get cold here in OK it isn't like much of the country. So spending the $ for the little wear they would get doesn't make sense either.

I do have to admit that after 10 yrs of riding in Va and needed the insulated boots, riding mittens, etc, I have not missed it in the 10 yrs I have been in OK.

carovet
Jan. 1, 2011, 12:14 PM
After years of riding in regular breeches with silk or polarfleece long johns underneath, I just recently got my first pair of winter pikeurs.

I am amazed! Very different from just regular breeches and long johns. They block the wind, and are just warmer! A whole different experience.

carovet

magienoire
Jan. 2, 2011, 09:01 PM
I think I'm going to give the TR Toastie Elements a try. I just got a pair of the FITS Windpro, and they have changed the design to have the mesh panel on the calf. WTF? I don't need to be dissipating heat through my calf if it is so cold I am wearing wind-proof breeches! Supposedly this is for "closer feel", what a bunch of nonsense. It means I have a chunk of essentially bare skin sticking out while I am walking around before and after I ride. Sorry, this is an idiotic design feature! Apparently the previous versions did not have this, so if you have an older pair, cherish them.