PDA

View Full Version : How do you introduce side reins to an inexperienced horse?

Fantastic
Dec. 28, 2010, 02:49 AM
Curious how others do it. This is both a spin off of the "turned loose in side reins" and also the vienna side reins thread.

I will typically run one lunge line from from my hand, through the bit ring, and connect with the billet/surcingle and ask for inside flexion.

Sometimes I will run one outside side rein and then the inside bending rein.

Only once the horse learns to bend and also submit to the contact, and only once they accept will I consider two loose side reins.

I prefer the veina reins, as the horse is allowed to seek out and down; the neck and back is not fixed in one position.

How do you do it?

merrygoround
Dec. 28, 2010, 05:48 AM
Usually I start with the side reins there but not shortened. As I start adjusting them over a period of days, I unclip them, shorten them, and doing up the outside first, I then clip up the inside, prepared to send the horsse immediately forward, on the longe.

NorCalDressage
Dec. 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
I do the outside one only, then outside plus the lunge line run through the inside as a pulley, then connect both side reins.

Sometimes this happens in one session, sometimes takes a few. Depends on the horse's acceptance & confidence about the contact.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 28, 2010, 10:48 AM
I do the outside one only, then outside plus the lunge line run through the inside as a pulley, then connect both side reins.

Sometimes this happens in one session, sometimes takes a few. Depends on the horse's acceptance & confidence about the contact.

yep

shawneeAcres
Dec. 28, 2010, 10:53 AM
I introduce side reins as a part of the total process of learning to give to pressure. Before the horse ever has any reins on, they learn to give to pressure from ground work, first with a rope halter, then with a bit. I usually ground drive in a rope halter and later a bit BEFORE introducing side reins, then I will use side reins, fairly loose at first and gradually shorten them. Never had any issues using this method

mdischler
Dec. 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
I like the idea of Vienna Reins also. I definately dont use side reins of any kind until the horse has learned to give to pressure in the mouth first. Long Lining can be a great option for this. I have long lined all of my young horses to teach them to yield to pressure in the mouth.:)

ACP
Dec. 28, 2010, 12:01 PM
So much depends on the horse. I introduce the idea of giving to pressure right away with a young horse, using a halter. Stand tied, back up, circle in both directions, etc. I will also stand on one side or the other, reach up, and press down on the poll with a moderate but not increasing amount of pressure. The moment the horse lowers its head, I give. Lather, rinse, repeat about 100 times, and in different locations. Stand to one side and bring the head around without twisting the neck, so there is proper bend in the neck. Move the hind quarters over. Do it all later in a bit. Like others, I long line, you can do a lot this way. It has never been an issue, not really.

dwblover
Dec. 29, 2010, 11:34 AM
I love the side reins with actual surgical tubing in them. They sell them at Horseloverz. SO stretchy and giving, much less chance of the horse panicing.