PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fence in Florida

Amwrider
Dec. 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
Shopping around for Electric Fence boxes. I am looking at the Zareba 30 mile plug in units. I would be putting a top wire only on three paddocks that total about 4 acres together.

I had someone tell me that our soil is too sandy and that it will not work well, he suggested a much larger unit.

Looking for advisement. Anyone using electric fence in our FL soils that can give input?

lorilu
Dec. 27, 2010, 03:48 PM
I use an AC electric fence with step in poles and tape. I have fairly sandy soils with some clay threading through it. I have had no trouble UNTIL this past month - it is SO dry.
I replaced the tiny thin connector wires (charger to tape and charger to ground) with thicker wire, pounded the ground pole in deeper, and wet the ground around the ground pole.

Works fine now.
My riding horse, who is boarded, has tape (solar charged) around his fence (he likes to sit on the boards....). Have not had any problem with it at all.

L

everafterfarm
Dec. 27, 2010, 04:44 PM
In my neck of FL the soil is pretty much just sand. I tend to use more of a box than I need, but when it does get really dry it can mess with any box. Simple fix, dump a couple buckets of water over the ground pole and that always does the trick.

Hampton Bay
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:46 PM
I live on nothing but sand. Dig down past a couple inches (where the grass has grown and manure has accumulated over the years), and you get white beach sand.

What I had to do was run a ground wire under the hot wire (or attach the fence ground to my metal field fence). The field fence works very well as it's touching the ground all around, so it gives a much better ground than a grounding rod just because of the shorter distance the current has to travel through the sand to reach metal that's attached to the ground on the charger. Clear as mud?

I tried putting my grounding rod under the water trough, where the faucet leaks a bit even when turned off, and my fence still wasn't hot. Just too much sand.