PDA

View Full Version : NY and New England Peeps - All OK?

Trevelyan96
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
Just jingling for the COTHERS and their horses in the NY - New England area as they deal with yesterday and today's harsh weather. Hoping all are safe and warm.

Heliodoro
Dec. 27, 2010, 02:04 PM
I can only speak for myself in that we had essentially nothing as of last night! But quite a few flurries in the air outside my window today, not too much accumulation either.

Though the Patriots had to spend the night in Rochester, so I guess some fans got a late xmas gift!

Lucassb
Dec. 27, 2010, 03:20 PM
*sigh*

We got about a foot, I think... hard to tell with all the drifts. Lots of wind here, too - we had gusts up to around 65mph last night.

Roads seem to be fine now, but unfortunately our plow guy decided to ignore our driveway markers... and plowed up our front lawn instead. Apparently he didn't notice that he was nowhere near the garage at the top of the hill when he finished...

I hate winter.

mvp
Dec. 27, 2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah.

I did barn chores X-mas day for BO (before the snow hit the fan), and then couldn't help myself and made a foray up there yesterday.... to check on mine AND to get my shovel out of my trailer for the digging out to be done at home today.

My truck, who has no business driving in blizzards, manned up and did her job admirably. It was great!

Most of today was clear, cold and windy. It's nice to have a break from the snow, but you can count on ice. OTOH, 50s is predicted for New Years Day.

To be fair, everyone knew this storm was coming but weren't sure quite when.

fivehorses
Dec. 27, 2010, 08:50 PM
I was out tractoring most of the day.
I had help here cleaning stalls, and we let out one herd at a time. Lots of bucking at the wind and snow angels the wind and snow make when it comes curling up the hill.

The wind was and still is brutal. I can hear it. Once in the barn, it is comfortable, but outside or walking between barn and house...freezing brutal cold.

WHile tractoring, I had to stop, and go in the house and find a pair of ski goggles from 15 years ago(this is why I never throw anything out). the wind was so hard, and the snow so blinding, that my eyes were getting hurt from the wind and snow driving into them.
in fact, when i woke up, looked outside and saw the snow coming down horizontally...I have never seen that except in blizzard conditions, which we obviously have had most of last night, today and now again tonight.

When I came in from the barn, I said to myself, this is not a night for man or beast to be out.

Oh, and then in the middle of the day, chains came off the tractor, and John Deere dealership came out within an hour and put them back on for me. was that nice or what. They know how much I 'depend' on my equipment.

At then end of the day, one of my horses had a mild colic, but enough to freak me out. So, to add to everything, went down, hooked up the truck and trailer just in case we had to make a run to the clinic. But honestly, my road is still snow covered, and I live on a very steep hill.

My friend who owns the area where i am parking the trailer was plowing, and saw me, and was quite concerned that I was even considering driving truck and trailer...but we have to do what we have to do, right.

so, come home, its been over an hour since the horse got banamine, been walked a couple of times and still was not responding. call vet, and finally he starts to feel better.

So, I learned something new to add to my list of things...keep ski goggles at the ready when tractoring, have JD put chains on the week before a snow storm, rather than be independent and try and do it myself!

I know they predicted this storm, but not very well. This was suppose to be a sunday night, end mon am storm...not.
winter is hard, and I think northeners are very tough people to deal with this.
i don't want to be tough anymore, its too hard.

It would be differenet if i had 2 or 3 horses, hubby or so to help out. Snow and weather make for one long day...today went from 8:30 am on the tractor to finishing tractoring, bringing in, feeding, etc till 7:30 pm. A 11 hour day outside in this brutal weather. I am getting too old for this! LOL
tonight with wind chill is to be -20. Btw, I am in NH.
In aiken tomorrow, its going to be 50 and sunny.

2boys
Dec. 27, 2010, 09:16 PM
I for one, have been very grateful during the past two days, that my boys are not in my backyard right now. :winkgrin:

RiverBendPol
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:04 PM
My boys stayed in today, much to their chagrin and the delight of 3 1/2 year old grand daughter who told me 3000 times that they were DYYYYYYYYYING TO GO OUT!!!

We had HUGE wind, freeeeeeeezing temps, lots of snow tho hard to measure due to drifting. We went sledding, played games, ate Christmas candy, had a jolly day. maybe I can grab a quick hack tomorrow while the babies are napping. :winkgrin:

mg
Dec. 28, 2010, 09:39 AM
I think it was just me in my Focus and the plows out last night! I kept the horses in for a couple hours after they got their dinner so they could dry off with coolers. Stuck a turnout on one of them (fatty gets to go au naturale), opened their dutch doors, and they BURST out of their stalls. I guess they made their preference clear! I also made the journey out to the boarding stable where the one I ride lives for the winter. I did night check for the BO, though it would have been way better if the day person had filled up the water troughs like they were supposed to :no: Lugging water up over plow piles and through unplowed snow isn't too fun.

BUT it was fun to put on my Carhartt bibs again! :lol: We probably got about 10" total in Maine--less than predicted. The ponies seem to love it though!

RiverBendPol
Dec. 28, 2010, 10:12 AM
Today is a gorrrrrrgeous after-storm beauty of a day. So sparkly! The river in front of my house is shining like diamonds. The boys were totally civilized going out then all rolled over and over and over. A happy morning for all involved. Lots more shoveling and plowing to do now.:cool:

fivehorses
Dec. 28, 2010, 11:01 AM
yes, classic new england storm...always it seems the next day is just the brightest sunniest day.
It is still very cold, a bit of a wind chill, and slushy roads.

I have to do some more tractoring too, but most of it is just clean up.

I really did not like yesterday's storm. I am still cold from it! LOL

walktrot
Dec. 28, 2010, 01:06 PM
It pooped out in the Portland ME area. We got about 7-8" on Sunday and a prediction for the same additional on Monday. Never happened. Maybe another inch, but lots of wind. Horsie (who lives outside) seemed perfectly content today with sunshine and a round bale and his winter parka.

Chief2
Dec. 28, 2010, 03:46 PM
Pretty classic NE storm for around here. I'm glad the wind is finally calming down. That was the worst of it.

My perchie/qh spent the storm outside. He has never been on indoor board, there is a large shed available with plenty of hay, and the vet has wanted us to keep him out 24/7/365 to keep his joints moving well, so that's what he has had for years. For some reason which I have yet to figure out, he and a few of his buddies spent the storm outside of the shed, down in the windbreaks. When I got to him yesterday morning, he had long rolls of icicles the width of my fist running down his neck, down his mane, along his sides, his hocks to his hooves were coated in snow and ice, and his eyelashes were frozen shut with 3-4 inch icicles hanging off of them. In 20 years of having horses living both inside and outdoors, I have never seen anything like it. One of his buddies was almost as badly coated in ice. What possessed them to do this, I don't know. :(

We knocked the icicles off of his eyelashes and got the eyelids unglued, then brought him in and started working on thawing out the rest of him. He ate his lunch wrapped in several layers of coolers, polished off a lot of hay, downed a bucket of warm water, then laid down on the floor and took a long nap. Today he is clean, fluffy, playing up a storm, and happy to be back outside.

I no longer care what the vet wants. Enough is enough. This will be the last year he will be on outdoor board in the storms. The barn is full right now, but when I can arrange it, he will have a stall available to him for bad weather for the remainder of his life.

ETA I forgot to add that one day after the blizzard, my horse has decided it is time to begin shedding. I hope we are done with the blizzards for the winter. :(

Melelio
Dec. 28, 2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah, it's YOU PEOPLE I think are crazy LOL :eek::lol:

Chief2
Dec. 28, 2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it's YOU PEOPLE I think are crazy LOL :eek::lol:

Huh? Did I miss something here? :confused:

sophie
Dec. 28, 2010, 04:37 PM
Ok here in southern Maine, roads are clear, everything is white and beautiful, I just wish this darn wind would just stop blowing! It's way too cold for me to ride. Maybe tomorrow.

Zu Zu
Dec. 28, 2010, 06:37 PM
Jingles that all people and horses are thriving during this snow storm struggle ~ be careful ~ Jingles & AO ~ Always Optimistic !

fivehorses
Dec. 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
update...during day, the storm the wind was 65mph, last night it was 58mph.
So, it was pretty windy up here on the north facing side of the hill.
Chief2, I could never leave my horses out, my property is probably much colder than a valley or more sheltered, southern exposed property.

the wind and lack of sun in winter is really brutal. The horses can get into the pines and get sun and some wind protection, but still its way too cold, artic like.

Chief2
Dec. 28, 2010, 08:36 PM
update...during day, the storm the wind was 65mph, last night it was 58mph.
So, it was pretty windy up here on the north facing side of the hill.
Chief2, I could never leave my horses out, my property is probably much colder than a valley or more sheltered, southern exposed property.

the wind and lack of sun in winter is really brutal. The horses can get into the pines and get sun and some wind protection, but still its way too cold, artic like.

This horse's last home was on an 800-acre ranch in Idaho, where he lived outside 24/7/365. The farm he is on now is 85 acres of mostly S/SE exposure, with a lot of downhill, sheltered areas, with many vertical and horizontal windbreaks that were deliberately planted that way decades ago--trees, bushes and brambles mixed together. The property stretches about 1 mile downhill. So while we have a huge shed (SE exposure) which is usually out of the wind with lots of hay and heated water for them, sometimes the outdoor horses go down into the wind breaks instead to get warmer, and I think this is what they did. In cold wind, these windbreak sections are usually much warmer because the winds usually blow down the hills and over the barriers in the windbreaks. The horses tuck into the brush and stay warm. I've done it myself down there in blasting cold wind, and it usually works well. But not during this blizzard. Winds here were blowing up through the windbreaks and up the hills, instead. Their speeds were comparable to yours.

It's beautiful out there tonight though. Some breeze, clear skies, and I saw a shooting star tonight. He is fine, and munching hay happily with his buddies in the shed. Hopefully we won't be getting another storm that powerful again this winter. :(

walkinthewalk
Dec. 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
winter is hard, and I think northeners are very tough people to deal with this.
i don't want to be tough anymore, its too hard.

Yes we are and I don't blame you. There reaches a point where enough's enough.

I semi-retired to southern Middle Tennessee from the OH/PA border. Not as brutal as your weather where I was born and raised, but brutal enough.

I was boo-hooing about the early freezing until our weathermen started talking about just how ugly things were going to be up north and then started showing the pictures once it started getting ugly.

I thought I'd better just get over myself and count my blessings that I was able to move someplace where the seven inches of snow we had at the end of last winter went on the record books.

I can deal with the little bit of cold down here, but my old bones have more than had enough of OH/PA winters that the words "lake effect" were always attached - lol

And yes, keep the snow goggles. I kept my snowmobile suit, mittens, etc and everyone made fun of me. I've since worn that stuff out and have bought replacements; I refuse to be cold doing barn chores.

Glad to hear everyone posting, so far, and your critters came thru ok:)

Melelio
Dec. 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
Huh? Did I miss something here? :confused:

The folks who love and live in high risk winter areas....crazy stuff! I know some love it, but.....brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! The 50 inches we got in the span of 10 days here in MD last year was enough to put me off ANY amount of snow forever for any reason...I have good bug spray, let the warm come on back!

Glad everyone seems ok, two and four leggeds....

Ozone
Dec. 30, 2010, 01:08 PM
We got 18" of snow + drifts higher then the barn. Achy breaky back day for sure.

Times like these I am THANKFUL that my horses are not in 24/7 turn out situations! I think a thread should started on this topic since many are adimint about 24/7 turn out! ;) My guys would have been up to their hoo-ha's in snow! :)

Ozone
Dec. 30, 2010, 01:09 PM
The folks who love and live in high risk winter areas....crazy stuff! I know some love it, but.....brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! The 50 inches we got in the span of 10 days here in MD last year was enough to put me off ANY amount of snow forever for any reason...I have good bug spray, let the warm come on back!

Glad everyone seems ok, two and four leggeds....

Yep and I would rather live in a high risk snow area then a tornado, mud slide, earthquake state. LOL

walktrot
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
Yep and I would rather live in a high risk snow area then a tornado, mud slide, earthquake state. LOL

Ayuh.

My horse has lived outside 24/7 for 10 years with a run-in and a patch of pine woods. He has a heavy-duty snowsuit with neck cover. He shares a round bale and a Nelson heated waterer with his pasture mates. They've been up to their hoo-ha in snow more than once and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. As is the case with the b/o's 20-some horses.

But she does make more money on the stalled horses, who stayed in for 2 days.

Chief2
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:40 PM
High Risk? When you've lived here all your life and this is what you know, it's just the way it is. :lol: I figured life across the northern tier of the country and for our good neighbors to the north was pretty much the same, or even a whole lot worse! Frankly, I don't usually give a lot of thought to our southern neighbors with this type of weather. I figure they've usually got it waaay too easy on this. :winkgrin:

Wouldn't want the fire ants, though. Eeewww!