PDA

View Full Version : Paddock Boots or Tall?

leilatigress
Dec. 27, 2010, 12:33 PM
DD has been riding for a couple of years now and has managed to walk through the heel of her paddock boots. A friend was generous enough to offer a pair of rubber tall boots and DD has been wearing those. She's not a fan but they look awesome and I don't have to zip those damn half chaps up. DD is 8 y/o and does show but not often. My question is for the trainers and moms both.:D

Trainers: Do you like the kids in the paddock boots/half chaps because of heel position or does it really matter? Is it a per kid basis? DD has decent leg position but the tall boots don't give her any give to get her heel down.

Moms: Any particular brand of half chaps you like the best? Does anyone recommend the velcro ones? Anyone have a link where I can find the half chaps for less than $50 a pair? I am likely going to have to go custom for her when she does get tall boots as she is very very long calfed with really narrow feet. Any recommendations for tall boots?

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Here's the thing.
rubber tall boots are a nightmare
they are really uncomfortable to ride in and they make your whole lower leg sweat like a smoked pig. ewww

leather tall boots are ideal for riding, but not practical for an 8yr old because
a. as you have witnessed from the paddock boots they tromp the barn in their boots and wear the soles out. in a tall boot they'd probably wear out the shaft.
b. 8yr olds grow faster than you can break in boots :lol:

Ideally I'd get paddock boots and slip sole protectors on them so you can get a higher resale, and then get stiffer half chaps so that they are more like tall boots than chaps.

Doctracy
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:46 PM
Why not paddock boots, jodhpurs and gators? Isn't that more traditional for a short stirrup? Besides, the jodhpurs are stretchy so should grow with her better and paddock boots have some decent equileather options for super cheap. But, I don't know if this is dressage proper. It would be the most correct for hunter, jumper, eventing or hunting. In fact, tall boots are considered incorrect in the short stirrup, although you do see them.

Doctracy
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:50 PM
I wear an Ariat suede half chap. It has a bit of stretch so that after awhile, it fit my leg perfectly. But, for a growing 8 year old I might consider Velcro a better option. Besides, they are less expensive. Just make sure not to get too much "room to grow" as too big is miserable.
I recently saw some child sized Ariat terrain boots, not appropriate for shows but great for hacking, at VTO saddlery, for $25.

leilatigress
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:55 PM
Dressage you get the tall boots as well as the paddock/chaps even on the itty bittys. DD doesn't ride the short stirrup otherwise I'd be in jodhpur heaven. Now for pony club events even if it's a dressage event she has to wear paddocks/chaps, jods and gators. Which my DQ of a trainer bemoans and I just smile at. She's not having the stinky issue with the rubber boots as they are not fit to her calf and therefore have breathing room. I'd never resale her paddock boots as she is just hell on her shoes. (I am too.)

Carol O
Dec. 27, 2010, 07:12 PM
Tall.

paintlady
Dec. 27, 2010, 08:08 PM
When I was a kid, my mother bought me black heeled boots from the Sears outlet. We didn't have a lot of money. Still, they worked fine for what we were doing.

Abberlaze
Dec. 27, 2010, 09:21 PM
Talls may be cheaper if she can fit the inexpensive brands. I have always worn the Devon-Aire talls, which don't fit perfectly, but they're ~$100 and tough as nails.

Otherwise, treadstone makes some good half-chaps. Devon-aire makes more reasonably priced ones, as does Barnstable. I hate Ariat (overpriced).