PDA

View Full Version : Horse poops TOO much - ideas?

HRF Second Chance
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:40 AM
My horse has always been a good pooper. Yes, I'm starting a thread about my horses pooping habits. Go figure (can we say micromanager?)

Anyway, normally Chance poops about four times per school. Once on the way to the barn (though I usually suspect this to be a "break"), once in the cross ties, once when ridden and once during the untacking process.

Recently though, Chance has upped the scooping by multiple times. Like as in 4-5 times before saddling, several times under saddle, a few times on the way back.

Should I be concerned? I recently purchased him a new saddle and the old one hurt him, so between myself and my friends we surmise it might be nerves that the saddle will hurt. But he's also recently taken several "field trips" to shows, clinics, schoolings, trail rides, etc. Now I worry he might be showing signs of being a tad ulcered.

So I turn it over to the COTHER's. Should I have concerns about my sweet angel pooping himself into a fit?

ThreeFigs
Dec. 27, 2010, 12:19 PM
Is this an Arab? In my experience, some Arabs are capable of dropping two or three balls of poop every 5 minutes or so, rather than dumping a big load all at once. My mare sometimes does this and she's not an Arab. I figure she's a tad wound up because she'd rather be in the pasture with her pals.

I don't know why they do it. Nerves? Their "hot" nature? To irritate you?

What does your vet say? If you suspect ulcers or some other gastric upset, I'd ask the vet.

HRF Second Chance
Dec. 27, 2010, 12:29 PM
He's actually a TB. But a very quiet TB.

I've owned Arabs in the past and you are TOTALLY right about them being poop machines!

pj
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:08 PM
What does the poop look like? If it's what we call pretty poop I wouldn't worry about it. If it doesn't look right then I would.
Could he be eating a whole lot more hay due to the colder weather?

PRS
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:18 PM
My horse is a 1/4 arab 3/4 QH and he is what I call a "nervous pooper". He can poop several times during a ride but they consist of just a couple of balls each time. As long as the poops are "normal" looking I don't worry, he's always done this.

coloredcowhorse
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:28 PM
I agree...if "normal" looking and no other problems I wouldn't worry about it. If you watch a lot of competitive horses (cutting horses for instance) you will see a lot of them dropping several "road apples" as they enter the ring/pen. One cutting trainer told me "it is as if they are unloading any unnecessary baggage".

ThreeFigs
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:35 PM
I think it's also excitement/anticipation in the case of competition horses. As long as it's not due to anxiety/worry/fear, and looks normal (not runny or cowpie-ish) it's probably OK.

EventingJ
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
You know, my mare also poops a lot. Quiet mare, and she poops like a nervous horse - but doesn't show any other signs of nervousness. She can poop on the way in from the pasture, on crossties before a ride once or twice, 1-4 times in the ring, and then within 10 mins of being done and in her stall.

I always just figured she wasn't anal retentive haha :)

HRF Second Chance
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:48 PM
They are usually "normal" put this weekend when we went for a trail ride he got the runs, which had never happened before.

He does spend quite a lot of time with his head in a round bale since he's a pasture boy but it's impossible to tell if it's more or less than usual. He's the same weight? But he's a princess and the only horse in the paddock wearing a blanket. So I wouldn't imagine he'd be shivering off any weight!

Movin Artfully
Dec. 27, 2010, 02:10 PM
Anyway, normally Chance poops about four times per school. Once on the way to the barn (though I usually suspect this to be a "break"), once in the cross ties, once when ridden and once during the untacking process.

Recently though, Chance has upped the scooping by multiple times. Like as in 4-5 times before saddling, several times under saddle, a few times on the way back.

I can't believe I am answering this thread :lol: But valid question and we have noticed a trend with our horses:

We start a lot of young horses and I would differentiate between excess "alley pooping" and "workout pooping".

The "alley pooping" seems to be in reponse to 1) nerves from being removed from stall buddies, 2) nerves from being asked to stand still in a new environment, 3) anticipation of getting worked. It goes away completely when they are comfortable with the routine. It increases when only one horses is brought in at a time, and decreases when they have a buddy getting saddled at the same time. If your horse spends more time tied and gets into the routine of falling asleep when tied, it will go away.

"Workout pooping" is a totally normal physiological response of exercise getting the gut moving + factoring when your horse last ate, especially if your horse lives in a stall or relatively small enclosed area.

In a nutshell :)

HealingHeart
Dec. 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Nerves and anticipation

candyappy
Dec. 27, 2010, 04:15 PM
We had this same thing with a gelding we bought from a friend. In his old life he spent 360 days just eating and was asked to do very little. we bought him and he immediately started learning what it meant to be used regularly. I have never seen a horse poop so much in a short amount of time. We took it very slow with him and it went on for over a year! Sometimes it was soft and cow-pie like, but we had a lot of rain and an abundance of lush grass too. I noticed in the second year that he no longer did it to excess now that he knew what was expected of him. With his case it was anxiety in not being sure what his job / place was. It could be a bit of the same with your horse if you are adding new activities and going to new places.