PDA

View Full Version : help-anatomic girth fit?

pacificprima
Dec. 27, 2010, 01:37 AM
well I've had my delicious Prestige anatomic girth for almost 2 years and it no longer fits. The pressure has become uneven and now it sits on her belly at an angle. The front of it doesn't really make contact and the back is digging in. The large scoops are right behind her elbows.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try the holes differently or do I need a new girth? maybe after all this time I've been putting it on wrong?
I have been unable to find any good pictures of the girth actually in use to see if I'm doing anything weird.
thanks for your help

alibi_18
Dec. 27, 2010, 08:00 AM
Silly questions but are you thightening it enough? And does your saddle fit properly?

I, personnally, don't see how a girth would no longer be good after 2 years...

Maybe take pictures of it while on your horse?

buck22
Dec. 27, 2010, 08:15 AM
is this the same girth on the same saddle for the last 2 years? or the same girth on a new saddle?

If its the same girth on a new saddle, chances are the saddle's billets are not in the right place for your horse's conformation.

For the same girth on the same saddle to suddenly after 2 years stop fitting, either your saddle no longer fits and is sitting in a different spot/sitting differently because your horse changed shape.... or your horse changed shape causing the girth to sit funny (in which case there is a very good chance your saddle no longer fits).

I'd check the saddle, have someone knowledgeable check for you also, and just for fun try someone else's saddle to see if it causes the girth to sit better.

oh, eta: possibly check your billets too to make sure they're not coming loose, and check the structural integrity of the girth, perhaps where you buckle is coming away or the elastication has suddenly given out for some reason.

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:48 AM
You sure your not putting it on backwards?

Tucked_Away
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe a silly question, but have your billets stretched so that the holes are now uneven?

pacificprima
Dec. 27, 2010, 02:42 PM
I have a new custom saddle just fitted within the month so it fits, it replaced the one that now doesn't which I used the girth with. I'm guessing the billets line up differently so that's the problem.
99.9% sure that the girth is on correctly (big scoop behind the elbow so feel free to post pictures of how it should if I'm wrong) and it is definately tight, but it looks more level when it's loose...:confused:
I think I'll just pick up a cheap one to see if that helps.

angel
Dec. 27, 2010, 06:05 PM
I have a prestige girth and it never really fit quite right. I found that an ugly, old string girth does a better job of contouring.:yes:

carovet
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:01 PM
sounds like a new saddle billet placement vs girth issue, but
food for thought....I added 1/2 holes to the needed areas on my back billets so that I could adjust the front to back balance more finely

I think over time the elastic stretches a bit and either front or back billets end up with more tension on them...

carovet

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Dec. 28, 2010, 03:49 PM
I would also tend to think that more holes in the billet for finer adjustment options should be the ticket. I just got the Prestige anatomic girth and LOVE it.
Don't need to crank it as tight as the Wintec for total stability. :)

Char0308
Dec. 29, 2010, 11:23 AM
At our barn almost everyone used the Prestige girths and we have had several Prestige Anatomical Girths wear out and the elastic actually snaps if you are not careful and continue to use it. So if the buckles on the Prestige girth are not equal length or girth buckle stretches to near the billet keeper on the girth; than elastic is likely worn out.