PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Bridle Recommendations?

Haltatx17
Dec. 26, 2010, 09:26 PM
I figured who better to ask then everyone this board! :)

I am looking for a horse size dressage bridle... It seems as though the black and white is out of style, and the "bling" (rhinestones, etc.) are "in" on the brow band (which I really do like).

I am looking for a good quality dressage bridle (preferably with a thicker nose band, and a flash is a must) that isn't too expensive. I am tempted to buy online, but not sure on the quality without feeling it first hand.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good quality, yet fair priced dressage bridle? I am trying to look at nothing over $200. :sadsmile:

Let me know if you have any suggestions....:D

Thanks!

Ysabel
Dec. 26, 2010, 10:13 PM
The FSS Bridles from the UK (on ebay) are nice bridles for the price. I ordered the patent leather one from "saddlery4u" last year and I was happy with it. Not comparable to high end bridles that retail for $300+ but well worth the $100(+ or -). :)

rprincess73
Dec. 26, 2010, 10:41 PM
I bought a Treadstone snaffle with flash and LOVE it. The leather is great - very supple. What I really love about the bridle is that the pieces are all integrated over the poll - and then padded - very "cushy" on top. The noseband is also padded...along with the back of the crank. It fits my Trakehner to a tee.

I bought the bridle at the local tack shop for $140.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 26, 2010, 10:42 PM
I think it's VTO saddlery that is having a courbette bridle blow out right now for 50% off. I own a courbette bridle for jumping that I love.
For dressage I have a Passier Gemini bridle I adore. It's beyond your posted budget but after 2 years of daily use and kind care it still looks new, and ZERO stretch.

feuerkracher
Dec. 27, 2010, 05:24 AM
http://www.sstack.com/english_bridles_dressage-show-hack/pinnacle-comfort-plus-dressage-bridle-with-crank/

I bought this bridle last year for my WB and was so surprised by the quality. It is as nice as some of my $300 bridles. I highly recommend it- it is such a steal for the price. I've received multiple compliments on the wonderful quality of the bridle from friends, all asking where I get the money to buy such nice tack. It does have a thicker noseband and looks better on a horse with a larger head- when I had to purchase a new bridle for my very dainty cob sized gelding, I decided against it because it's a little too chunky for him. I bought him a Vespucci instead, and the quality is comparable. It even comes with full leather reins with handstops! They also have blingy browbands that you can purchase separately if you desire.

Ysabel
Dec. 27, 2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the link feuerkracher I think I will give those a try myself - they are even more affordable than the FSS bridles. They also make hunter bridles as well and I have been looking for a nice havana padded hunt bridle with a low price for a few months now. How are the browbands on them?

All my horses have wide foreheads and I find most of the bridles I buy that are made outside of the UK don't fit them in the browbands so then I need to buy a separate browband. I have no idea why, but the British made bridles seem to have bigger browbands. For example my Jaguar and FSS browbands in cob size fit all of my horses but when I order a separate browband from either a North American manufacturer or my one browband from BR saddlery in Holland I had to order size full to oversized.

MysticOakRanch
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:42 AM
There was a thread a while ago on FSS - go back and review it, many people have had awful experiences with them! And the cost to return the bridle if it doesn't work out is crazy because they are overseas. I wish I had seen the thread before I bought - because my bridle fell apart right away and I shipped it back and never got a refund. They have awful customer service.

For $200, you are better off buying a nice quality used bridle - or wait a few days, VTO always has an end of year sale - pick up a name brand bridle at 20% off! I think they do still have some of those Courbette bridles on clearance too.

ETA - just hopped on ebay, there is a new KL Select (crank w/ flash, remember, you don't have to "crank" a crank), a few Red Barn lines, even a Dobert (nice bridle) that are in your price range - new bridles!

ThreeFigs
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:10 AM
I've had similar problems with browbands that did not fit. Heck, it's an excuse to buy a new blingy browband that fits!

feuerkracher
Dec. 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Ysabel- the browband on mine is very roomy. My bridle is oversized and I usually have to put on a custom longer browband for this horse, but that bridle's browband fits him fine. I bought another one for a slightly smaller horse (he's a large full or small oversize). I bought him oversize, and the browband is actually loose on him.
I have run into the same problem with browbands, and although it's a good excuse to buy a blingy one in a larger size, it's still frustrating! These seem very generous. Hope you like them as much as I do!

Haltatx17
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:34 PM
Feuerkracher- Wow, that bridle looks great for the price! They have some really good reviews on it too. Thanks for the tip!

Ysabel- I looked for that ebay member, but it seems as though either they no longer have an ebay account, or maybe it's down right now? I do hesitate purchasing from the UK, only because if the bridle does not fit, it would probably be a pain to return...

Dover has their winter sale going on right now! I came across this dressage bridle:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=MA-12699W

Has anyone tried the Crown bridles? Seems like a really good deal on the price. Wanted to know if anyone had tried it first hand?

I'm so glad I waited until after Christmas to look at clothes and tack - there are some great sales going on right now!

Justmyluck
Dec. 28, 2010, 12:33 AM
I own two Crown bridles and am pleased with the quality of both. I originally got my first one for $49.95 only because it was closeout. It suppled up beautifully and has remained soft though use in Florida's humidity and sweat that comes with summer riding.

I just received the dressage crank bridle that Crown makes and am equally impressed with this one. I was expecting the black leather to be stiffer then my brown one but its not. I love web/rubber reins! and they are included so that makes me very happy. =)

Also on Schnieders Pinnacle brand leather work. It is SOOOO nice for the price. I went for the Crown for the reins.

cleozowner
Dec. 28, 2010, 08:11 AM
I LOVE my Five Star Tack bridles...if you hop over to the eventing forum you can hear us all rave about them. :) They have one on sale in your price range: http://www.fivestartack.com/dressage_bridle_windsor.php

farriersgirl
Dec. 28, 2010, 08:59 AM
I highly recommend Kieffer bridles. The quality of leather is superior and very well made with padded crown piece, etc. Dressage extensions has several styles available - bought one with black "beads" with silver edging. They also offer one with a silver clincher browband - classic. Some are just over $200 but you get what you pay for, and they are worth it.

http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=21721

joannr24
Dec. 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
The Crown bridles are great to school in. They stretch and soften and hold up really well.

JanDinWA
Dec. 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
There are several nice ones at JustBridles.com. We just bought 2 of the Bobby's double bridles. The nice thing about this site is they show you how to measure your horse and have the measurements of all of the bridle parts in cob, full, and oversize for each bridle and you can mix sizes on parts as needed. You can also mix parts across brands of bridles, too. So if you like a certain bridle, but really want the browband off of another, you can do that! I thought their customer service was just great as we asked a lot of questions before hand and did have to swap some parts afterward.

cleozowner
Dec. 29, 2010, 09:00 AM
Another place to look is Premier Tack Outlet (http://www.premiertackoutlet.com/dressagebridles.htm).

Equine Studies
Dec. 29, 2010, 11:34 PM
I'm looking too but since I just bought 2 saddles and will only be "dabbling" in eventing I don't want to spend much more than $100 (although I really like this one from Dover).

http://www.doversaddlery.com/crown-crystal-dressage-bridle/p/X1-12699/cn/81/

Unfortunately shipping to Canada is stupid and in theory I can get a nicer quality bridle here for the cost of bridle + shipping + duty etc. (at least if it's from Dover). There are options but they require some coordinating of road trips and shipping.

Anyone in Watertown/Cape Vincent or in those areas want to be my ship to address in case I need to place a Dover order?