PDA

View Full Version : American Saddlebreds and Dressage Today!

ASB Stars
Dec. 24, 2010, 02:36 PM
A big shout out, and a YAHOO!! to Aubrey Davis and Kim Moore, who, with their horses Dawn of Winter, and Outside the Line, are featured in the clinic with Axel and Terri.

I thought that Axels comments for Kim were dead on, and extremely intuitive- what a great, proactive idea it was to help yourself learn from one of the "big guys"!

Who would have thought we'd see the day when the ASBs were out there-- doing it all, only now with an audience who knows exactly what kind of horses those cuties are!! :winkgrin:

countrygal
Dec. 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
Dawn of Winter is my boy. I was so thrilled to see him featured and with another ASB none the less! Axel's comments were wonderful and very helpful. Can't wait to see the improvements this coming season at 1st level!

ASBJumper
Dec. 24, 2010, 11:35 PM
Pics?? Links?? Scanned article?? Come on now, you can't post a teaser msg like that with nothing to show off - not all of us get DT, ya know!! :p :cool:

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 25, 2010, 09:55 AM
I know right? I need something tangible I can email to my mom

Marla 100
Dec. 25, 2010, 10:04 AM
Second the request for pics or article.... This is very interesting- would love to see it.

countrygal
Dec. 25, 2010, 11:55 AM
I actually haven't received my Dressage Today yet! When I get it I'll scan for everyone.

This is the picture I submitted. Axel labeled it "A Model for Training Level". Everything he said fit perfectly with our training plan. The picture is from our first time away from home so we were trying to keep things quiet and relaxed.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/aubreygdavis/DSC_1240.jpg

n2dressage
Dec. 25, 2010, 11:57 AM
Countrygal: You guys make a great pair!!! He's super flashy! Congrats!

Marla 100
Dec. 25, 2010, 12:04 PM
Yes, You are a matched pair. you look terrific and your ASB is gorgeous, Big
Congratulations!!!

asb_own_me
Dec. 25, 2010, 09:16 PM
I submitted a video that showed our first time doing First 2....across the street from a car dealership that had the big air-inflatable waving things. Apparently there was a tent sale that weekend ;) I really didn't think that they would actually use my submission....won't make the mistake again of sending something in on a lark!

It was far from an attractive test and we've since found out that Atlas had somehow sustained an injury that we were unaware of at the time. His more recent fall in the pasture (that I posted about several weeks ago) exacerbated that issue, but fortunately brought it to light <good news/bad news> Now I'm just hopeful that he is on the road to recovery.

Thanks so much for sharing.

asb_own_me
Dec. 25, 2010, 10:01 PM
Wow. So explanation here:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5303647#post5303647

Video is reloading on YT now.

Good grief. I'm going to bed before I erase my hard drive.

ETA duh, the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiSjteJzlFk

ASBJumper
Dec. 25, 2010, 11:13 PM
I actually haven't received my Dressage Today yet! When I get it I'll scan for everyone.

This is the picture I submitted. Axel labeled it "A Model for Training Level". Everything he said fit perfectly with our training plan. The picture is from our first time away from home so we were trying to keep things quiet and relaxed.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/aubreygdavis/DSC_1240.jpg

*LOVE*!!!!!!!! :eek: :D

netg
Dec. 26, 2010, 12:12 AM
I haven't gotten my DT yet, but find this thread amusing, as I know horse/rider number 3! Lucky me, I get to compete against them... their first dressage show, and the video was a score somewhere in the 70s....

Countrygal (I assume you're horse #1, and #2 he mentions an indoor arena, and I've only seen the page w/ horse 3 on it) I think your horse is neat! I love most of the ASBs I see and know are ASBs, and think they can look amazing after some correct work.

countrygal
Dec. 26, 2010, 02:38 PM
Thank you for all the kind remarks! We often get comments on how well we're matched (tall, skinny...) lol. I'm excited to see what the new year brings!

cb06
Dec. 26, 2010, 06:49 PM
I think you both look great...it is really nice to see horses at levels and with challenges I can relate too! Keep us posted on how you and your horses are developing....I am right there with you, progressing in fits and starts. Major props for putting yourselves out there!

SmartAlex
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:35 AM
Well crap... I haven't even opened my DT. Now I can't wait to get home and see.

mickeydoodle
Dec. 27, 2010, 11:33 AM
comments are fairly harsh about second horse in that group

asb_own_me
Dec. 27, 2010, 02:37 PM
As well they should be. It was the horse's first time doing that level, he was wigged out from the inflatables at the car dealership, and he was in some serious discomfort (unbeknownst to me at the time). It was a crappy test.

Did you not agree with the comments?

princessfluffybritches
Dec. 27, 2010, 06:58 PM
Very nice pair! Very nice test.

HollysHobbies
Dec. 28, 2010, 08:07 AM
It's been really great seeing some horses in DT that aren't WB's! I completely loved the black cleveland bay a few month's ago!

ASB's sure come in flashy colors--they both look they have a lot of talent!

I've got a papered morgan mare who is buckskin in color...I'm guessing that came from a saddlebred somewhere...

Inflatable waving giants...yes, those are high on my "what I fear most at a horseshow list"--I doubt I'd have been able to climb aboard! I expected the walk to be much worse on horse 2 after the description in DT--it just looked like a lightening fast walk (those of us with morgans, arabs, and perhaps ASBs too know the SUPERSTRUT--I GOTTA GET SOMEWHERE!!!) LOL That's why they do so well in endurance! I didn't really see pacing.

countrygal
Dec. 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
Here are links to the scanned article. My dad sent me these this morning! Sorry I don't have the whole article. When I go get my copy I'll try to remember to scan the other 2 riders.

Cover:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/aubreygdavis/DTJan2011.jpg

Page 1 of Axel:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/aubreygdavis/DTJan2011page2.jpg

Page 2 of Axel:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/aubreygdavis/DTJan2011page3.jpg

ASBJumper
Dec. 30, 2010, 10:20 AM
As well they should be. It was the horse's first time doing that level, he was wigged out from the inflatables at the car dealership, and he was in some serious discomfort (unbeknownst to me at the time). It was a crappy test.

Kim -

That test didn't look any better or worse than any of the Intro or Training level tests you've posted on Youtube. You "got away" with Atlas being super rushy and not tracking up at the lower levels because he is steady and well-behaved, but you moved him up to First WAY, WAY too fast. He doesn't look fazed in the least by his surroundings - he looks exactly like he did on your other videos: rushy and unbalanced. You need to slow his tempo waaaay down and get him to engage his hind end. And if i were you, i would go back to Training Level and focus on getting him solid there before moving him up - Axel was very nicely and diplomatically saying that this horse is NOT ready for First Level. You can blame it on the scary inflatable things all you want, but to me he looked the same as in all your other videos, except perhaps a bit more fussy in the mouth. You "debuted" him at Intro in July 2009, there is no need for you to be rushing up the levels with him.

Clearly you are able to look at your tests with a very critical eye - so you should be able to disregard a few generous judges' good scores at Training Level to see that he still needs a lot of conditioning work before moving up to First. :yes:

Good luck! I know exactly what it's like to spend ages trying to slow down the tempo, and then when it seems you've got it at home, you take 10 steps backwards at a show where everything is SO EXCITING!! :lol:

Have you tried Hilary Clayton's core strengthening exercises with Atlas? I think they helped my girl a LOT! You can see the difference in muscling for yourself - http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2024867390046770113KahKxM

ASB Stars
Dec. 30, 2010, 10:29 AM
This is all really, really fabulous advice.

I'm blessed, because the trainer who works with my horses is a friend of Hillary Claytons, and we've been doing all of the exercises and work she recommends for a very, very long time.

Atlas is a really fancy horse with endless potential, but a correct foundation is everything. Without it, nothing that you do will stand up through time.

mickeydoodle
Dec. 30, 2010, 04:41 PM

Well, now that I have watched the video, the test was fairly bad. He did not look at all distracted, but crooked, inconsistent in the contact, pacing, rushing, butt high in the canter. I agree with Axel, not ready for first level.

netg
Dec. 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
Have you tried Hilary Clayton's core strengthening exercises with Atlas? I think they helped my girl a LOT! You can see the difference in muscling for yourself - http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2024867390046770113KahKxM

Due to those exercises or not, that's a significant difference!

I've recently noticed when looking at my horse he seems to be perfectly flat from behind the withers to his tail. NOT his natural shape, and I love it! One of the first things I did during our trial period was purchase the book/dvd with exercises.

mickeydoodle
Jan. 2, 2011, 10:16 PM
Also, just having a consistent, steady connection, with the horse trotting/cantering/walking TO the bit will help. The connection in the video looks restricted, rather than steady. He frequently ducks behind the contact, not moving from back to front.

quietann
Jan. 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
I've got a papered morgan mare who is buckskin in color...I'm guessing that came from a saddlebred somewhere...

Side point on "colorful" Morgans -- a lot of them trace back to western horses, basically ranch horses where the ranch owner used a Morgan stallion to improve his stock. At that point, the registry was accepting any horse that had Justin Morgan in the tail-male line.

And a lot of them... well, we're discovering a certain amount of "disguising the truth" from back when the colorfuls were not accepted into the stud book, things like buckskins registered as bays, palominos registered as flaxen chestnuts, smoky blacks registered as brown or liver chestnut, etc.

My mare is a palomino, and her "colorful" heritage disappears 10 generations back, and 13 generations back she has a "LU Sheep Co Mare" with no further pedigree info.

lalahartma1
Mar. 16, 2011, 05:43 PM
Haps! He's looking great, countrygal!

tmlng
Mar. 20, 2011, 12:31 AM
I was blessed to own and show My Lily Gray, an ASB mare who took me to 4th level in the 90's and early 2000s. She was the first ASB to win the then brand new Saddlebred Select Gold award....and everyone in the office in Lexington was amazed that it was won by "that dressage mare in Alabama"! I'm so glad to see that the trend continues....ASBs are super versatile horses with incredible minds and great hearts. Lily is now 30 and living happily in a pasture, but she will always be the love of my life. Why did I stick my oar in here? Her first recognized show score of over 60% came from none other than Axel Steiner! Good memories with that girl!! Kudos to all of you still showing ASB's in this sport!:D

ASB Stars
Mar. 20, 2011, 08:57 AM
tmlng- you have a PM!