PDA

View Full Version : karl niedersuss saddle comments

Jump4victory
Dec. 23, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have been wanting a karl niedersuss dressage saddle and wanted to see who had one and their personal reviews on them. I rode in one a friend had and loved it. Input please!

Velvet
Dec. 23, 2010, 10:34 PM
Love the Symphonie!

atr
Dec. 23, 2010, 11:08 PM
It depends...

In the past I have had a Symphony and an Olympik. Both really nice, well made and very comfortable saddles. But the horse I have to fit a dressage saddle to now, they just didn't fit at all--he's a round, meaty-shouldered guy, and when I bought him, I thought "this'll be good, he's not so far off a Lippizaner in shape, the Symphony should fit him great."

Er, no. Darned thing kept sliding up his neck. That's when, after consulting with a good saddle fitter, I tried the Olympik, with it's different girthing system, in a different tree width.

Same issues.

He's just not a Neidersuss shape, unfortunately.

Luckily, they keep their value exceedingly well for resale.

kinnip
Dec. 23, 2010, 11:12 PM
Love my Symphony.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 24, 2010, 11:27 AM
Yup. Symphonie rocks!

Of course, it has to fit you & your horse, or it's no good.

Audrey79
Dec. 24, 2010, 12:02 PM
My guy is a hard fit and this is the ONLY saddle that I could find (even those that were 3 times the price) that fit both of us. I couldn't afford to go custom and got mine for a steal at $800--best saddle ever.

exvet
Dec. 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
I have 3, two Olympiks & 1 symphonie. I love them all. They wear well and are more bang for the buck imo regarding value. I do have 9 horses and unfortunately the Niedersuss do not fit all of them; so, my saddle collection does include a couple of other saddles but my preference by far is the symphonie.

amastrike
Dec. 25, 2010, 12:44 AM
I have a Symphonie and love it. It fits my weird-backed horse very well. He's not actually super weird, but every other saddle was too tight under the stirrup bars. I'd have to go custom for a perfect fit, but the Symphonie plus a sheepskin pad with inserts does the job quite well. It's so comfortable, and everyone who's sat in it says the same. Just today I was admiring how nice it is. I love the leather--it's thick and smooth and supple and it just FEELS like quality. I got it used for about $900, and it's worth every penny and then some. It will need a complete reflock at some point in the foreseeable future, but that's the only problem.

Ysabel
Dec. 25, 2010, 01:26 PM
My friend had a Symphony and hated riding in it - it was so hard on the arse. :yes: It fit her horse very well but it was so uncomfortable to ride in for any length of time that she eventually sold it. After a 2 hour trail ride in it she literally was black and blue on her seat bones.

I rode in it to try because it fit my mare well, but even with my "extra natural butt padding" :winkgrin: it still hurt my seat bones. So I bought a Jaguar instead which is super comfortable and fits a number of my horses well.

It did put my leg in a great position and it was nicely balanced. And the quality of the leather was good.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 25, 2010, 05:49 PM
I think much has to do with the width of the seat/twist or the depth of the seat or the rise of the pommel. Some saddles just do NOT work with some folk's anatomy, yet work well for others. This is "Captain Obvious" stuff -- you just have to try the saddle to see if it works for you.

I had a Harry Dabbs once (they make the Jaguar, right?) and loved it. Sorry I sold it. 20/20 hindsight and all that.

Gandolph58
Dec. 26, 2010, 06:52 PM
love, Love, LOVE mine!!! It was the third saddle I bought for my boy in 18 months. He had a late growth spurt and just kept changing size and shape. I was ready to pull my hair out. I tried two different Passiar saddles that I liked but did not work for him.

Then I found my KN Symphonie saddle. It fits him and I wonderfully. I have a super long upper thigh and the flap length is perfect for me. I feel super secure in it. I can hack, do ring work, deal with silly baby antics... pretty much anything. I also find it to be very comfortable for a long ride.

It has held up beautifully, I love the leather!!!!! After a good cleaning looks show ring ready. Over all I am very happy with it. I would recommend a Karl Niedersuss to anyone and would buy another one.

Dressage_Julie
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:13 AM
My friend had a Symphony and hated riding in it - it was so hard on the arse. :yes: It fit her horse very well but it was so uncomfortable to ride in for any length of time that she eventually sold it. After a 2 hour trail ride in it she literally was black and blue on her seat bones.

I rode in it to try because it fit my mare well, but even with my "extra natural butt padding" :winkgrin: it still hurt my seat bones. So I bought a Jaguar instead which is super comfortable and fits a number of my horses well.

KN saddles are the ultimate crotch/rear end punisher to me! So uncomfortable... Definitely ride in it a few times first!

ThreeFigs
Dec. 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
Depends on your conformation! I hate Kieffers unless they were built in the 40's and 50's. Anything later than that is a no-go. My best friend HATES my Neidersuss, loves Kieffers.

Twigster
Dec. 27, 2010, 03:18 PM
KN saddles are the ultimate crotch/rear end punisher to me! So uncomfortable... Definitely ride in it a few times first!

I'm with you. I tried a Symphonie about a year ago, and it was a nice looking saddle, but I have never been so uncomfortable! I was constantly battling to keep my pelvis neutral, it tipped me forward so badly. I really wanted to like it.... it was a great deal :(

Mardi
Dec. 28, 2010, 11:30 AM
Love my Symphonie. Couldn't afford new, so bought it used.
It really made a difference in my riding (improved it 100%)
and fits one of my horses perfectly. She's very happy in it
(her trainer rode her in same).

My other mare prefers my old Klimke. I never rode it in
very well, but it's become the perfect saddle for trails.