PDA

View Full Version : USEF Horse and Rider of the Year Nominees

Velvet
Dec. 23, 2010, 10:24 AM
Looks like DressageDaily is unhappy that Steffen and Ravel are not nominated, but I just don't see the problem. They won in 2009, and even though they accomplished something an American pair hadn't done before, I don't see the problem. I mean, I think that the Reiners deserve a LOT of recognition after their finishes at the WEG. Steffen and Ravel were just rewarded early. Not a big thing in my mind. Not even really that newsworthy.

akrogirl
Dec. 23, 2010, 12:55 PM
Just checked the list and am extremely disappointed to see that not one single horse from the traditional Olympic disciplines is included.

mjhco
Dec. 23, 2010, 01:14 PM
The reiners won Team Gold and Individual Gold and Silver at the World Equestrian Games.

That 'Dream Team' of horses and riders has won a combined $9 million.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtKzS3Sfw4U&NR=1

AND they graciously responded to an unrather ungracious question from the media after WINNING team gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg4nSfrodQY

And yes, there are other disciplines in this world other than jumping, 3-day, and dressage. And besides, the jumping team and the eventing team failed to produce.

akrogirl
Dec. 23, 2010, 01:31 PM
I didn't say the reiners shouldn't be nominated, but I feel it is a very sad commentary on the state of the big three when they fail to get a single nomination. There are also events other than WEG.

Foxhound
Dec. 23, 2010, 10:20 PM
I think it's good to see some other disciplines nominated. Steffen & Ravel have gotten this award already, let someone else have a chance.
DressageDaily probably just needed some content to fill space.

canyonoak
Dec. 24, 2010, 11:29 AM
These awards are to recognize excellence.

And yes-- Steffen and Ravel won last year and this year Ravel is again USDF Horse of the Year.

But the reality is--Steffen and Ravel promoted excellence AGAIN this year, winning historic medals at WEG and placing in top 4 of the World Rankling List.

It is a true achievement to keep an equine athlete peaking several years in a row.

They should have been nominated and acknowledged.

MysticOakRanch
Dec. 25, 2010, 12:56 PM
Aren't these awards aimed at horses/riders who compete in USEF events? Based on some kind of point system? So, the more a horse competes in USEF classes, the more points they earn? Which means some of the international events earn no points? I think that is why we always see some nominees from various breed-show circuits - they show in a lot of classes and accumulate a lot of points. Just a guess...