PDA

View Full Version : Frozen poop

Brandy76
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:38 PM
Ok, any ideas? My guys can walk in/out of their stalls, through the run in out to their smaller paddocks. The foster horse is a "poop around the paddock" kind of guy. By the morning, many poops around paddock. FROZEN to the ground.

Actually fell over one the other day trying to kick it loose:lol:.

short of keeping in him the stall at night, any ideas for dislodging said poop?

ArabDiva
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:42 PM
Don't know what to tell ya. I wait until we get a thaw and clean up the frozen poops at that point. I guess I am just lazy that way but I have better things to do than chip away with a shovel and blow torch all day! :D

mg
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
I wedge the front end of my fork under the edge of the pile and then kick the butt of the blade with my foot, similar to wedging a shovel under heavy snow. This works for about 95% of the piles in my paddock. The others, I just chip as much as possible off the top.

I wonder if a metal edged snow shovel might work well too? One that's good for chopping up ice.

jump4me
Dec. 22, 2010, 02:44 PM
I've never had any noteworthy success, outside of picking up any that haven't frozen yet and waiting for the rest to thaw. Sigh...

buck22
Dec. 22, 2010, 02:47 PM
like MG, a stout fork I can shimmy under and then kick works 90% of the time, the rest I leave until they thaw.

if the permanently petrified pile is in a really aggravating place, like a high traffic area where I have to stare at it all morning, I'll grab a metal shovel and hack it to pieces to dislodge it.

susanne
Dec. 22, 2010, 03:02 PM
Tell your dog they're delicious treats -- POOPSICLES !!!

Brandy76
Dec. 22, 2010, 03:10 PM
thanks for the suggestions. They ARE annoying to look at when I can't dislodge them.

And I do appreciate the humor! We all seem to be needing a little extra of it right now...

mickeydoodle
Dec. 22, 2010, 03:56 PM
My dog absolutely thinks they are Poopsickles- she goes out of her way to find a stray ball that fell off the manure spreader by itself and is frozen- sitting on the driveway, but not frozen to it. :)

horsepoor
Dec. 22, 2010, 04:20 PM
My only suggestion is to get to them before they freeze. But we don't get the kind of cold you do -- maybe a week or so each winter where it might stay below freezing. My schedule allows me to clean often enough in the day, I can get them picked up while fresh except the overnight stuff. But like I said, only a week or so of the year that I have to deal with it, so not much!

Sparky Boy
Dec. 22, 2010, 04:26 PM
No suggestions, but I trip over them all the time in the paddocks at night when I go out to check/fill the water. Even in the dark I look around to see if anyone saw me ;)

2DogsFarm
Dec. 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
Cannot count the bruised toes from kicking at a rockhard pile....

If I can't rake them out of the way while they are still rakeable, I just let them sit until the next thaw.

My horses have In/Out privlieges too & the only places I take an edged implement to are the stall doorways.
I need to keep those clear so the doors can be closed if needed.

Ah, the Joy of Winter :(

Wayside
Dec. 22, 2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah, like many of the previous posters, I just wait for them to thaw.

Though if your horse has a favorite spot that's really in the way, I've found that they come up off of rubber mats really easily, and don't seem to freeze to them, so I have mats in the corner of the run-in shed where the frozen poo pyramid used to be :lol:

mkevent
Dec. 22, 2010, 07:06 PM
Wayside is right-I have rubber mats under my overhangs and the manure hasn't frozen to it yet!

If I get really annoyed, I use a sledgehammer to dislodge the frozen piles and then pick it up with a manure fork. Otherwise, like everyone else, I wait until it thaws.

Xfactor
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
I use a half moon lawn edger to chip under the pile a bit and can usually dislodge most piles pretty well. It's labor intensive, yeh, but esp when it's snowy, I detest poop piles dirtying the snow...lol

The rubber mats in high poop traffic areas is a great idea. It doesn't make them decide to just relocate the poop pile?

horsetales
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:45 PM
I try to wait until a sunny day to help "warm" them and use either a heavy duty metal rake (not a leaf rake) or an metal ice scrapper and teh flat edge can often pry them loose

Granada
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
Tell your dog they're delicious treats -- POOPSICLES !!!I'm no help for cleaning up suggestions, my outdoor shelter is a mess, but my dogs love poopsicles too! And somehow it being frozen doesn't slow them down at all... I had a pile of poopsicle barf in my living room this week to prove it :/I like the snow shovel suggestion... I'm going to try that with mine, sometime soon...

TrueColours
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:06 PM
Well - we get REAL cold up here, but I muck my paddocks at least once a day and sometimes twice if I have nothing better to do with my time, year round, so I get 99% of them up off the ground before they freeze and dont have to worry about tripping over them once they have frozen solid

Yeah - I know ... I have no life ... but my paddocks are clean!!! :lol:

Petalstorm
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:09 PM
I use either a steel rake;
http://www.gemplers.com/product/156253/5-tine-Manure-Pitch-Fork-Long-Handle
or...
http://www.gemplers.com/product/139340/4-Heavy-duty-Super-Scraper-Straight-Handle

Frozen poop, take that!!!!

ReSomething
Dec. 23, 2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, like many of the previous posters, I just wait for them to thaw.

Though if your horse has a favorite spot that's really in the way, I've found that they come up off of rubber mats really easily, and don't seem to freeze to them, so I have mats in the corner of the run-in shed where the frozen poo pyramid used to be :lol:

Aha. A reason to have mats my DH might appreciate.

MistyBlue
Dec. 23, 2010, 01:43 PM
Metal fork or use your heel instead of your toe and thunk it into one edge and usually the pile pops off the ground in one big piece.

However, by January you'll get "unexplained" heel pain. :lol: :winkgrin: :eek:

I also can't stand the sight of my paddock filled with piles. They get removed daily. Much better when it snows to scoop them out. Just look for the brown pile in the white snow...or if the snow is deep look for the steaming hole in the snow, LOL!

Wayside
Dec. 23, 2010, 02:30 PM
The rubber mats in high poop traffic areas is a great idea. It doesn't make them decide to just relocate the poop pile?

My guys haven't changed their favorite pooping corner due to the mats, though Pody doesn't pee in the run in as much now that they're there.

coloredcowhorse
Dec. 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
Try a thin layer of sand or shavings where they put their piles...keeps them from freezing to the ground..you lose a little shavings but not nearly the problem getting them picked up.

susanne
Dec. 23, 2010, 03:57 PM
I had a pile of poopsicle barf in my living room this week to prove it

Somehow I suspect that, by that point, it was no longer frozen...blech!

[My abject apologies for TWO nonhelpful poop jokes in one thread...]

mountainbells
Dec. 31, 2010, 07:39 PM
I keep a smaller crow bar (about 2 ft long) with me (I hang it over the edge of the muck bucket which is on a wheeled carrier as I move between pens) and pry them loose...usually they just "flip up". do this from about Nov till Mar-April.

CelticRiverDance
Dec. 31, 2010, 08:18 PM
I had (key word being "had") a working boarder who was suppose to clean the out buildings on the evenings that she was scheduled to feed. The horses are locked in for the night. I go out in the morning before the sun was up to feed and I assumed that the out buildings were cleaned. (Silly me):lol:. My x-working boarder never cleaned them and I stepped on a frozen poopsicle. It was like stepping on a golf ball. I went flying. Something out of the 3 stooges.:winkgrin: Up in the air and then down on my butt.:eek: Hit my head against the back wall and got 5 stitches in the back of my head and was late for work. Hence the "x" in front of working boarder. I hate frozen poop!!!!!!:no: