PDA

View Full Version : narrow vs wide seat questions

princessfluffybritches
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:28 AM
I tried a Rembrandt, and a Max Hopfner, and a Mansion House saddle. The first 2 fit me great, my leg made contact all the way down. Now, this Mansion House, has a wide seat and I can't get my knees on the saddle. Do the first 2 have a narrow twist? Is that why I get a better grip and my leg stays stable? What other brands would be more like a Max Hopfner or Rembrandt, or probably a Passier? What is a Kieffer like? A Stubben?

HollysHobbies
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
I find the Collegiate Jessica to have a nice narrow twist. On the opposite end of the financial spectrum, a County Perfection felt very, very narrow to me also...like riding a 2X4, but I was in the correct position. Passiers also feature a narrow twist (the lenox is the newest one I've tried though)...LOVE passier's twist shape, but I can't seem to get them to fit and be STABLE on my wide barrels...

I found the Stubben Maestoso to be comfortable...medium/narrow twist, but for some reason, the Stubben Excaliber was causing me to pinch with my thighs (like the saddle bulged there or something?...could be how the saddle was fitting...I kind of thought it needed more flocking under the seat for the horse from the ground)

The older Keiffer dressage saddles (Wein) had a quick/steep rise...I found them to be crotch-busting...perhaps I needed to size up. Haven't tried the newer ones...would love to though!

Just my observations! Hope they help!

princessfluffybritches
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks Holly. I have the same problem with a Passier, can't get it stable. And your observations have narrowed the field!

AnotherRound
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:40 PM
I was told that the twist becomes important to the anatomy of the rider in the hips. Some women have their hip joints go straight out to the side, men sometimes have their hips go more forward. Depending on your anatomy, the twist will be better for you. I talked to a saddle maker who said he measures the anatomy of a rider's hips to design the correct twist for their saddle! It is separate from the width of the tree.

One advanced rider I know, when I told her I was riding in my passier, which I liked except that I like a narrower twist better, and it was a medium wide twist, said "no, ride in a wide twist. It will make you have to open your hips. It will make you more honest". I thought that was interesting. At least it gave me a reason to embrace the wider twist on the saddle, however, there is a grip and a contact I get with a narrower twist which beats all. I have narrow hips, inside, pointing forward, for a woman. But she is correct, with a narrow twist saddle my hips are not open as much.