PDA

View Full Version : Newer Spreader reviews? Or other economical spreader

LMH
Dec. 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
I have done a search but would like more info.

Anyone use this? How do you like it?

I have several dry lots that open to pastures. Picking up the manure and dumping it is quite time consuming.

I am thinking the small version of this would be perfect for loading manure from dry lots to pasture?

The biggest negative I have read is hay gets stuck in it-but this would not be an issue with manure from the dry lot.

Feedback?

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 22, 2010, 02:06 AM
I love my Newer Spreader! I've had it for 6 years, with the agitator in it, which does help keep things moving through.

I will say that I don't use it to pick and relocate manure in the pasture, all mine is stall muckings, but it is mostly manure.

I would be a bit concerned if the manure that you are picking is dried hard or frozen solid, it might not make it through the spreader, but I could be wrong.

It is easy to move, so you could manually move the spreader around until it is full, and then hitch it up to your tow vehicle of choice.

LMH
Dec. 22, 2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks MM-why did you chose the NS over any other one?

Or are there other ones similarly priced that could handle a little more challenge?

Also what kind of bedding do you use? Can it handle normal shaving?

I don't bed on straw so that is not an issue

(I would also use it for stalls as well as 'manure relocation.')

carolprudm
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:39 AM
I have had the larger version for about 3 years now. I like it because it grinds up the manure and drops it straight down, no flying turds!

I have 12 horses and bed on stall pellets. I have also spread manure from a neighbors barn that was shavings. I pull mine with a big 4 WD golf cart. I fill the spreader with as much as I can, usually 6 stalls worth then put the last 4 tubs in the back of the golf cart. When the spreader is empty I dump the remaining tubs in the spreader and I'm done!

LMH
Dec. 22, 2010, 11:38 AM
I only have 4 stalls...is it still worth getting the bigger one?

I guess so then I can add in the manure from the lots and only make one spreading trip.

Also is the bigger one more solid? Or both are the same.

carolprudm
Dec. 22, 2010, 11:58 AM
I only have 4 stalls...is it still worth getting the bigger one?

I guess so then I can add in the manure from the lots and only make one spreading trip.

Also is the bigger one more solid? Or both are the same.
The big one IME holds about 6 muck tubs. Be careful about leaving manure in the spreader for more than a few hours leave it in tubs instead. Depending on how wet it is it may pack down or freeze.

They both seem to be built the same.

They used to sell the smaller one without the agitator but I would not get one without it.

walkinthewalk
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:04 PM
I prefer my Loyal-Roth that I bought at Tractor Supply last spring. It is a miniature version of a "real" manure spreader.

I have four stalls and clean manure every day. I deep clean the stalls on Saturday and it takes two trips out to the field.

It is 23 cu ft and I wish I would've bought the 28 cu.ft .because my 4-wheeler and Compact tractor both could have pulled it.

I paid $1,500 for mine, and it's worth every penny. It does weigh 450 lbs empty so can be a bit of a bear to jockey around by hand, if that needs to be done.

http://www.loyal-roth.com/Manure_Spreader.html

tasia
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
I second the Loyal-Roth. We use it to spread compost. I bought mine used 6 years ago, paid $750.00.

What about dragging the dry lots?

Hattie
Dec. 22, 2010, 04:03 PM
Just about 10 years with my Newer Spreader.....LOVE it! I have 3 stalls and use large flake shavings. I also pick smaller paddocks and then spread the manure. It's chopped up and within 2 days is not visible. I've used both types of spreaders and the Newer Spreader chops it while the other type throws it out still intact so it doesn't compost as quick.

ADM7040
Dec. 22, 2010, 04:55 PM
I love my Newer Spreader and am about to get a new one for Christmas. My old one suffered an accident that should have been prevented. The bolts on one of my wheels worked loose over time (I did not even think to check them), the wheel popped loose and the speed I was traveling ended up warping the barrel assembly and destroying a wheel. I am disappointed that this happened, but the convenience of this spreader justifies the purchase of a new one. Now I know to periodically check the bolts so that this does not happen again.

I use the spreader to clean 4 horse stalls (mats w/pelleted bedding cleaned daily) and to clean out my shed and dry lot daily. I have a small farm, only 6.5 acres, with 4 horses so I need to keep the manure cleaned up daily and the manure needs to quickly biodegrade into my soil. The Newer Spreader does this and is easily moved either by my small ATV or by hand. As an additional benefit, it takes up very little space and can be safely stored at the end of my barn aisle without having to worry about a horse accidently bumping into the paddles of a more traditional type spreader.

The concession is that I do not put hay into the spreader, hay waste gets separated and then piled together on the top of the spreader just before I go out to spread it. Once I get to the field, I spread the hay by hand before I run the spreader. Also, do not overload the spreader with rain soaked manure from your dry lots, if it gets too heavy, the agitator can not move it to properly spread it. In the case of wet, heavy manure, I only fill my manure spreader about 2/3 of the way (I have the larger model).

Good luck, I highly recommend the Newer Spreader for what you are considering.

LMH
Dec. 22, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hattie and ADM-what size do you have? the 100 or 200?

Unfforgettable
Dec. 22, 2010, 05:51 PM
I've got the smaller Newer Spreader for my two horses, and I love it. Easy to use, spreads great, and no worry about chains breaking like on the regular ground driven kind.

ADM7040
Dec. 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hattie and ADM-what size do you have? the 100 or 200?

I have the 200 and definitely recommend it. It is not much more $ than the 100, it does not take any more space to store and you have the ability to load more manure.

My husband is driving home from the dealership with my new spreader right now. I am so excited, mine broke 2 weeks ago and I am anxious to get rid of the manure pile that has built up during that period!

I love my husband, in addition to picking up my new spreader, he called to let me know he stopped at a sushi restaurant and picked up dinner as well!! This way I can eat quick and then go outside to play, I mean work, with my new spreader!

Good luck, I think you will love it!

carolprudm
Dec. 22, 2010, 06:51 PM
Just about 10 years with my Newer Spreader.....LOVE it! I have 3 stalls and use large flake shavings. I also pick smaller paddocks and then spread the manure. It's chopped up and within 2 days is not visible. I've used both types of spreaders and the Newer Spreader chops it while the other type throws it out still intact so it doesn't compost as quick.

Yup, no flying turds

LMH
Dec. 23, 2010, 07:42 AM
OK people I am going in!:lol:

I think I will order the 200 :)

I have been using the dumpster-so perhaps I can save some money by getting a smaller one now.:D

deltawave
Dec. 23, 2010, 09:09 AM
I have the small one from Country Manufacturing. Mostly it sits, but I do spread manure once or twice a year and for that it is perfectly fine. If I used it every day I'd probably want something a lot more sturdy and durable, but for what I use it to do, it's perfect. Price was about $750 IIRC.

Hattie
Dec. 23, 2010, 12:55 PM
LMH - mine is the original Newer Spreader, so it has the small "bucket" (I guess the 100). It holds 2 muck buckets worth of "stuff". My wish list would be to get the 200 with the agitator when mine finally kicks the bucket.

My hats off to the inventor - it's such a simple, ingenius design!

ADM7040
Dec. 23, 2010, 02:09 PM
The "new" version of the Newer Spreader 200 is even nicer than the one that I bought 3.5 years ago. They have made some improvements to make it sturdier and more durable. I used my new one last night and it was like a dream...it spread the manure quickly and evenly. The best Christmas present I could ask for, I am so happy!

I bought my original one from the manufacturer and had it shipped. This one I bought from a local dealer that now carries it called Pole Tavern Equipment in Hammonton, NJ. The gave a great price and fully assembled the spreader for me. Additionally, they took the time to tell me a few tips for maintaining it so I do not blow this one apart like I did my first one.

Good luck, I am sure you will be very happy!

LMH
Dec. 23, 2010, 02:15 PM
OK I am wickedly excited and now totally depressed...they are closed through new year so I must WAIT! :lol:

I can't believe I am this giggly over a pooper spreader.

carolprudm
Dec. 23, 2010, 02:37 PM
The "new" version of the Newer Spreader 200 is even nicer than the one that I bought 3.5 years ago. They have made some improvements to make it sturdier and more durable. I used my new one last night and it was like a dream...it spread the manure quickly and evenly. The best Christmas present I could ask for, I am so happy!

I bought my original one from the manufacturer and had it shipped. This one I bought from a local dealer that now carries it called Pole Tavern Equipment in Hammonton, NJ. The gave a great price and fully assembled the spreader for me. Additionally, they took the time to tell me a few tips for maintaining it so I do not blow this one apart like I did my first one.

Good luck, I am sure you will be very happy!
I'm curious, what tips did he give you?

Bezysmom
Dec. 23, 2010, 06:06 PM
ADM where's your dealer in NJ? I'd like to see one before I order.

Bezysmom
Dec. 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
Does anyone spread composted manure with the Newer Spreader? I need to get rid of the compost pile before I can use it for out of the barn stuff.

ADM, I should have read to the end before asking for the name of your dealer. I see you gave it. Now will have to see where Hammonton is.

2BayPonies
Dec. 23, 2010, 06:44 PM
I have the NS, and it's great! I would get the larger one if I purchased another. I use it for both stall cleaning (shavings & pellets), as well as moving manure from the paddocks. I've never had a problem with dried piles, they go through easily. Can't say I've ever had to do a frozen load though. (south)

Does anyone spread composted manure with the Newer Spreader? I need to get rid of the compost pile before I can use it for out of the barn stuff.

ADM, I should have read to the end before asking for the name of your dealer. I see you gave it. Now will have to see where Hammonton is.

The only issue I had with it was when I spread the composted manure pile. It clogged up quite a bit & I had to use a shovel to loosen up the area around the agitator. It did eventually all get done, but there were quite a few "readjustments'

Futuresmom
Dec. 23, 2010, 08:51 PM
Bought ours used from a friend and it has been great. We are up to 5 horses now and could use the larger model but it has worked great. The only thing we had to do was replace the tires...and thats in 5 yrs. I would definately purchase another...they are great.

LMH
Dec. 23, 2010, 09:14 PM
JUST CONFIRMING:

It IS possible for two reasonably intelligent people to assemble it, yes?

It is a bit cheaper to ship unassembled-but if it takes an intelligent crew of 6 more than 10 hours....well....

spacytracy
Dec. 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
I have a homemade version - hubby made me one a few Christmases ago.
I don't use it much now, but when i was spreading manure it worked very well. The bedding needs to be "fresh" imo - if it sits it got too packed in.
http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53259%3Enu%3D3245%3E98%3B%3E%3A%3C4% 3EWSNRCG%3D32373%3A44%3B9839nu0mrj

ponygirl
Dec. 23, 2010, 10:15 PM
I have a homemade version - hubby made me one a few Christmases ago.
I don't use it much now, but when i was spreading manure it worked very well. The bedding needs to be "fresh" imo - if it sits it got too packed in.
http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53259%3Enu%3D3245%3E98%3B%3E%3A%3C4% 3EWSNRCG%3D32373%3A44%3B9839nu0mrj

Can I borrow your husband? wow!

keepingitonthedownlow
Dec. 26, 2010, 10:52 PM
Ok NOW you all are killing me!

I want it NOW!:lol:

LMH, please check your PM's.

ADM7040
Dec. 28, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm curious, what tips did he give you?

Sorry, haven't been on for a while because of the holiday.

To make sure the agitator lasts longer he advised that after I finish spreading the manure, I should stop and disengage the tires before I drive back to the barn.

He advised to periodically check and tighten the bolts on the spreader, especially the ones that attach the tires to the barrel and the spreader. These bolts can work loose from the movement of the spreader. (This is what went wrong with mine. The wheel separated while I was driving at speed and I destroyed the wheel, drum and the point of attachment to the body.)

He also let me know that the occassional application of non-stick cooking spray can help to keep the manure from caking on the rotating drum and sides of the spreader.

If the manure is wet and heavy, don't fill the spreader too much before spreading so that the agitator can work better.

Never leave the spreader filled with manure when the temps are freezing, it can freeze solid. Better to wait to load it till you are going to spread it.

ADM7040
Dec. 28, 2010, 09:04 PM
ADM where's your dealer in NJ? I'd like to see one before I order.

Pole Tavern Equipment in Hammonton, NJ. Everett was the name of my sales person. The price was $1195 plus tax for the 200 model fully assembled. The dealer information is on the Newer Spreader website under the dealers tab.

Bezysmom
Dec. 29, 2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks ADM. I talked to Everett yesterday and will plan a trip to NJ when the snow has a chance to melt a bit. He thought the Newer or the Mill Creek would work best for me. I think it will be one them for sure.

carolprudm
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:27 PM
Sorry, haven't been on for a while because of the holiday.

To make sure the agitator lasts longer he advised that after I finish spreading the manure, I should stop and disengage the tires before I drive back to the barn.

He advised to periodically check and tighten the bolts on the spreader, especially the ones that attach the tires to the barrel and the spreader. These bolts can work loose from the movement of the spreader. (This is what went wrong with mine. The wheel separated while I was driving at speed and I destroyed the wheel, drum and the point of attachment to the body.)

He also let me know that the occassional application of non-stick cooking spray can help to keep the manure from caking on the rotating drum and sides of the spreader.

If the manure is wet and heavy, don't fill the spreader too much before spreading so that the agitator can work better.

Never leave the spreader filled with manure when the temps are freezing, it can freeze solid. Better to wait to load it till you are going to spread it.

Thanks for the tips. FWIW, I do make a habit of disengaging the spreader when it is empty. Otherwise when I have forgotten I find that I am spreading manure in the barn!

ADM7040
Dec. 29, 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks ADM. I talked to Everett yesterday and will plan a trip to NJ when the snow has a chance to melt a bit. He thought the Newer or the Mill Creek would work best for me. I think it will be one them for sure.

I sent you a PM!

keepingitonthedownlow
Dec. 30, 2010, 01:28 AM
Does anyone want a used one?

I've tried to sell it CHEAP locally, with no takers, so I'm trying here.

Purchased new in 2003, the 100 model without agitator. Still in great shape. I'm moving off the farm to a subdivision, and need it to find a new home where it can be useful.

PM me if interested.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 30, 2010, 10:01 PM
Does anyone want a used one?

I've tried to sell it CHEAP locally, with no takers, so I'm trying here.

Purchased new in 2003, the 100 model without agitator. Still in great shape. I'm moving off the farm to a subdivision, and need it to find a new home where it can be useful.

PM me if interested.

Wow, I've never seen a used one for sale, I looked before purchasing mine new in 2004. Try posting it on Craigslist, I bet you get a taker quickly that way.

The only thing that I have had to repair on mine is one of the kick in levers, the factory is not far from my farm, I called, they mailed it the next day, and I was back in business.

Here is another tip if you find that it gets "stuck' when pulling foward full with the gear engaged, put your pull vehicle in reverse, and run it backwards for a few feet, then pull forward. I find that it happens rarely when I have a heavy load that has sat in the spreader for a few days (no freezing in Florida).

Amwrider
Jul. 7, 2014, 12:06 PM
I just have to boast. I just picked up a used Loyal 23 for $300. I love it already!