PDA

View Full Version : USDF Rider Medals

2Below
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:23 PM
So, I just got my Bronze in the mail the other day. I'm out of my mind proud of my goofy OTTB that I earned it on, but what I'm wondering is, what do you "do" with it? Did you frame it with the certificate? Did you throw it in a drawer? I'm interested to hear where yours is!

carolprudm
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:19 PM
But congradulations!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:26 PM
So glad you asked! I was just wondering that myself - from the pin on the back, it seems like we're supposed to pin it somewhere, but it seems ostentatious as a lapel pin, and not ostentatious enough for a DQ stock pin ;)

HollysHobbies
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
I just got mine in the mail too!!...a joint effort between my 19 year old selle francais and my OTTB (who sadly passed away in October)

I have no idea what to do with it, but DAMN we worked hard for it! LOL!

Congrats to all who earned their medals this year!

dressurpferd01
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:02 PM
Just got my silver in the mail, need to order the lapel pin still.

Rabbit351w
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:07 PM
Got my bronze in the mail yesterday too! Very excited, but like you, no idea what to do with it :lol:

JLR1
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:19 PM
Congratulations everyone! What about a display case such as this with a photo of you and your horses?

http://www.sfdisplay.com/xsmilitarymedalspinspatchesinsigniaribbonsdisplayc asecabinet.aspx

dwblover
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:06 AM
Ooh, I love that idea. That would be really nice to put it in a display case with a picture of the horse(es) that you won it on. Perhaps a nameplate beneath the picture of each horse also.

yaya
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:02 AM
My trainer did something like that. She did a shadowbox with her medal (it came on a ribbon then), the certificate, and a photo of the horse she earned it on. It was really nice.

For my bronze, I'd have to have four horses' pictures, but for my silver (which I got last week as well), I only need one horse's picture.

If you order the smaller lapel pin, you can wear that on your show coat.

Peggy
Dec. 22, 2010, 03:13 AM
I put in in my jewelry box. Periodically I get it out, gaze at it, contemplate the amount of effort that went into earning it, think about doing something with it, and then put it back.

JRG
Dec. 22, 2010, 07:31 AM
Congratulations to all of you! and thank you for reminding me to order my lapel pin from 2 years ago.

I have mine in one of those "craft frames", they are like a thick picture frame that you would put flowers or other items that are thicker than paper. I got mine in a craft store.

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 22, 2010, 08:01 AM
I'd like to add my envious, admiring congrats to all of you, too!

The framed with photo idea is very nice, but I also think that wearing the pins on your show coat lapel is a great way to encourage other riders to emulate your achievement.

Foxhound
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
I used to be on the USDF Awards Council, and I suggested several times that the USDF store offer matting/framing options for the medals. Everyone seemed to like the idea, it just never went anywhere. It would be nice to have some kind of pre-cut mats with the USDF logo that would hold the certificate or a photo, with a round cut-out below for the medal. I could probably get this done at Michael's, but it would be nice to have something "official" looking to display it.

Maybe if more people requested this (hint) they might carry it. They could have one for the freestyle bars as well, or one for the medals and bars.

My certificate and medal are still sitting in the tote bag I use as a holding file for all my old tests. Not very glorious for the conformationally challenged Trak mare and retread gelding of uncertain parentage who helped me earn it. ;)

2tempe
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:07 AM
I put in in my jewelry box. Periodically I get it out, gaze at it, contemplate the amount of effort that went into earning it, think about doing something with it, and then put it back.

I'm pretty much where you are. And the reality is that no one that is not a horse person would even have a clue about the effort. So it stays tucked away....

blackhorse6
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:07 AM
my gold is sitting over the kitchen sink so i see it every day:)

rprincess73
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:55 AM
I can't wait to have this "issue"...lol.

I LOVE the idea of the pre-cut mat that would hold a picture of the horse, the medal, certificate and have the USDF emblem at the bottom or top. You could actually have that done yourself...at Michael's or Joann's. It would look lovely - that is for sure:)

Congrats to everyone that has received their medals!!!

Commander Cody
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
I got my bronze, silver and gold medals on the same horse and they have been sitting in my tack room for years. This Christmas some of my students got together and are getting them framed in a shadow box with a photo of the horse I earned them on. I am so excited to see how it comes out! A great Christmas gift - thanks guys (and maybe an idea for that friend or trainer who has everything?)

stoneymeadow
Dec. 22, 2010, 02:18 PM
my plan is when I get my gold, I want to use the three lapel pins to make a stock tie pin....those two tough GP scores are head of us....hopefully in 2011.

As an aging AA who didn't even start dressage until age 42 and with limited natural talent nor money, I figured at the point I have earned all three I can be as ostentatious as I like!

Congrats to all who earned their medals!!! And to those still aspiring, I started with a $1 breed stock paint in 2002.....work hard, stay focused, get good training and dare to dream :)

rprincess73
Dec. 22, 2010, 03:00 PM
my plan is when I get my gold, I want to use the three lapel pins to make a stock tie pin....those two tough GP scores are head of us....hopefully in 2011.

As an aging AA who didn't even start dressage until age 42 and with limited natural talent nor money, I figured at the point I have earned all three I can be as ostentatious as I like!

Congrats to all who earned their medals!!! And to those still aspiring, I started with a $1 breed stock paint in 2002.....work hard, stay focused, get good training and dare to dream :)

ahhhhhhhh - you give me hope!!! I am 37 and just started dressage in July of this year. My horse has taught me so much already. I'm dreaming for both of us:)

Melyni
Dec. 22, 2010, 03:07 PM
Along with pictures of the horses who got me the scores, and some of the ribbons they won on my way to getting it.
It hangs in my study/office.

When I get my silver I'll do the same with that.
Though the idea of the small ones to make a stock pin sounds interesting.
I guess I could glue one say the silver to a tie tack backing and make a stock pin that way.

Any way congratulations, well done.

MW

yaya
Dec. 22, 2010, 04:02 PM
The small pins are done already like a tie tack.

Melyni
Dec. 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
The small pins are done already like a tie tack.

Then I had better get on with getting those PSG scores so I can get my silver hadn't I!

Okay X-man, more transitions, rounder, more though, on the bit, etc etc.
MW

dotneko
Dec. 22, 2010, 05:26 PM
My bronze and silver certificates are 'landscape'
while my gold is 'portrait'. I framed each individually
with the medals at the bottom to go on my ego
mantel. Why did the USDF change orientation
in the 10 years between them?

2Below
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:44 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this "problem". I'd like to incorporate the certificate, so maybe to a craft store I go. And don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have this issue!

retreadeventer
Jan. 27, 2011, 11:01 PM
Did a search and this thread came up.
I cannot find the medal requirements on the USDF website. The links refer you to an issue of the USDF Connection magazine that is not available if you are not a member.
What are the levels and percentages for the medals? Is there a way to know this without being a member?

Peggy
Jan. 27, 2011, 11:42 PM
Did a search and this thread came up.
I cannot find the medal requirements on the USDF website. The links refer you to an issue of the USDF Connection magazine that is not available if you are not a member.
What are the levels and percentages for the medals? Is there a way to know this without being a member?Apparently not, but I am one and here are the pages in question.

yaya
Jan. 27, 2011, 11:46 PM
Bronze - 2 scores of 60% or better at each of First, Second and Third levels

Silver - 2 scores of 60% or better at each of Fourth and Prix St. Georges

Gold - 2 scores of 60% or better at I1 or I2 and 2 at Grand Prix

Maude
Jan. 28, 2011, 09:40 AM
I earned my Bronze and 3/4 of my Silver on my own self-trained TB/QH. Finished my Silver on another horse I trained up the levels. I bought document frames (black frame) and a small shadow box at Michael's Craft Store. I have my certificates in the document frames and my medals in the shadow box. The box and frames were really inexpensive. I have them on my wall in a corner of my den along with various other awards including my mare's Sport and Keur Predicate certificates. All the frames came from Michael's and they all match. It makes a nice arrangement on my wall, but is out of the way and not "in your face". Check out Michael's or I imagine Moore's would also have them. My medal lapel pins are in my jewelry box and I wear them on a turtleneck or vest when I attend horse events.

Dune
Jan. 29, 2011, 12:51 PM
In a drawer, in a closet along with some other awards, ribbons, etc. I wish I had the time/desire and was more "craft-sy" like some of you ladies.:yes: