PDA

View Full Version : Heated "muck bucket" rave

dmalbone
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
Just wanted to share... I've used the blue ones before, but mine (maybe they're different now or between "batches") just kept the water not frozen, but still cold. I've been using the Farm Innovators green tubs with the replaceable element in the bottom so far this winter and have noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of water the horses are taking in. They'll always choose the muck bucket over their regular cold heated bucket. The muck bucket actually keeps the water warm unless it's maybe near 10 or below or directly in the wind if it's a bad windy day/night. It's been 20 the past few days and the trough water felt so warm to the touch! http://www.horse.com/item/farm-innovators-16-gallon-heated-tub/SLT900777/

Alice
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:22 PM
I just switched to using one of these as well. They are cheaper to run than an in-trough heater, but do hold less water.

I too really like it! Easy to dump and clean, water remains warm, horses like it.

dmalbone
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah, if you have a lot of horses they'd be a pain to keep full. I have two horses, one who drinks a TON and I have two of them.

MistyBlue
Dec. 21, 2010, 04:59 PM
That's a reasonable price too.

fanfayre
Dec. 21, 2010, 07:37 PM
I bought that exact one just a month ago after my filly had her 2nd impaction, proving she doesn't like cold water, but I paid more than TWICE that!!!!!:mad::eek:
Works great, though, and with a little electrolyte in her warm beet pulp she's drinking well again. Next year the thing comes out the beginning of November, regardless of the temperatures. Not going through that for a 3rd year running.

libteryblues08
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:10 PM
Whoa, I didn't know such a thing existed! Looks like somebody is going to be making a purchase (and make sure hubby doesn't find it! lol). It's actually brilliant. Thanks for sharing this.

msj
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:12 PM
I bought 2 of those about 5-6 yrs ago when I had a horse that had to have his hay soaked. Since I had 2 horses out together, that meant soaking enough hay for both of them.

Initially I used just a plain muck basket but even though I changed the water every day and kept a lid on the tubs when I wasn't soaking hay, if it was really cold, the water would freeze by the time I was going to soak the evening hay. So that's when I bought the green tubs. I didn't always need to plug them in, but they never froze up on me and I was thrilled with them. I just sold one of them to a friend who wanted her horse to have warm water in the pasture and, since I haven't heard back, I guess it's working well for her. I had mine inside the barn so they were protected somewhat from the elements.

wsmoak
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:22 PM
Where is the heating element? I can't tell from the picture but it looks like there is something stuck through the side at the bottom. Is it a regular stock tank heater, or something else?

dmalbone
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:52 PM
Where is the heating element? I can't tell from the picture but it looks like there is something stuck through the side at the bottom. Is it a regular stock tank heater, or something else?

This is the manufacturers site and it shows it a little better. http://www.farminnovators.com/page6.htm

Halfling
Dec. 22, 2010, 07:58 AM
Can you use an extension cord with it? I have a blue one and the instructions tell you not to use an extension cord. I would need to use a 30 or 40 foot extension in order to use it in my field. Do those of you that have one use it with an extension cord?

Tom King
Dec. 22, 2010, 08:56 AM
Any instruction to simply not use an extension cord is really just an easy disclaimer if someone uses an undersized cord for the circuit and catches fire. Such as a light duty extension cord like one might use in the house.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an extension cord for anything, as long as it's sized properly for the circuit it's on and the required draw. 20 amp circuit, few amp draw, 12 gauge cord, and I'd sleep just fine at night.

seabreeze
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:08 AM
What happens if they drink it dry or knock it over? Will it automatically cut off? Fire risk?

Just wondering. I love the idea, and it would be so much easier to clean than my current water trough.

dmalbone
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
What happens if they drink it dry or knock it over? Will it automatically cut off? Fire risk?

Just wondering. I love the idea, and it would be so much easier to clean than my current water trough.

My terror yearling pony has both drank it dry (in one day by herself :eek:) and knocked it over. It definitely shut off both times. I emailed the company to double-check, and they said when it's empty or the element exposed to air it will shut off in 2 seconds. I'm paranoid about those things!

dawglover
Dec. 22, 2010, 02:48 PM
I have both kinds. Can't use the green ones with my Appy gelding because he can see the heating element and splashes all the water out of the tub trying to get to it. He drinks plenty out of his blue one overnight and he's in during the day where he also drinks plenty because I use warm water in their stall buckets.

I wish they made something similar in about a 50 gallon size.

dmalbone
Dec. 22, 2010, 06:05 PM
I have both kinds. Can't use the green ones with my Appy gelding because he can see the heating element and splashes all the water out of the tub trying to get to it.:lol: I'm sure it's not fun to experience, but it sounds funny.

wildlifer
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
Yes, we have these too and they are aweeeesome. The water does actually stay warm to the touch and the horses suck it down like candy. They are worth every cent.

ETA -- we use heavy duty extension cords with them, no problem.

cherham
Dec. 25, 2010, 07:07 AM
Ummmm guys these things have been around for years. I have them in all my turnout paddocks and our weather in Ontario in the winter certainly goes well below 0 for days on end.

They do work very well.

VarsityHero4
Jan. 1, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yes! I've been using these for years. The first year I had the horses home the babies would take the heaters out of the troughs and mangle them, with these I can anchor it right up to the fence so they can't get the cord and there is nothing on the bucket that they can destroy. Only con is the size. I have to fill it completely every single day.

Tornado Run Farm
Jan. 2, 2011, 10:27 AM
I've used these for years, too. I love their size - easy to dump and clean. Every paddock has 2 of them because the horses drink them down if there's only one - and I do use an extension cord and have had no problems. I have 6 tubs in use at all times through the winter.

Last year, I used them through the summer (unplugged, of course) because it's such a convenient size to dump and refill every day.