PDA

View Full Version : Using corral panels for outdoor stalls? - Satefy?

EquusMagnificus
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:54 AM
I am thinking of using corral pannels to build 4 outdoor stalls outside for feed/handling time.

I would do 4 stalls, all tied together (forming a square), with the two back panels tied to the wall of the run-in.

How safe is this? Most are well-behaved, but I do own one HUGE nutbar of a mare...

How strongly would they contain a potentially scared true 1,500lbs horse? I think I know the answer, but I am wondering if I am not worrying too much as well.

I'd have to get the nutbar used to it progressively, but I am just wondering if my idea is downright crazy or dangerous...

It would work great for the other three though! :yes:

QHBuddy
Dec. 21, 2010, 02:52 PM
In lieu of straping the fence to the shelter, I would suggest installing a metal post set in concrete in between each panel or ends - and then clamping the panels to the post. While my gelding has made several attempts to knock his fence down - it has held very strong. (We did end up welding the clamps to the posts to keep them from shifting). After a couple of horse suicide attempts on previous wood fences - I adore the panels for their structural soundness and safety. As a caveat - all corral panels are not made the same. I have seen some powder coated and lighter gauged metal varieties get flattened by a spooked animal.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/QHBuddy/Horses/Paddocks023.jpg

coloredcowhorse
Dec. 21, 2010, 03:37 PM
Used almost exclusively out here where wood is really high priced. Most use T-posts pounded down to below the top of the panels and connect panels together and then to the posts...others do use railroad ties for posts or 6-8 inch diameter wooden posts..usually 8 footers buried 3-4 feet (some set into concrete while others don't due to rotting of the wood)....spaced so that the posts are at the points where the panels meet. Get medium to heavy weight panels...there are light weight ones out there that a good stare would bend. If you can get square cornered ones they are better/less risky for the horses. If you get ones with rounded upper corners you can bridge across the Y shaped gap with a piece of 2 x 4 firmly attached to the top rail of the two panels (keep horse feet out of the gap where they will then pull down and lock a leg into it...broken leg is usually the result). Try to find panels with "legs", a U shaped piece at the bottom of each end....they do better in mud than ones that just have a straight post setting on the ground. You can use a hot wire on "extenders" (8inch insulators) attached to the T-posts or railroad ties or wooden posts...it extends into the pen and discourages the horses from hanging over the top rail or running into the panel (or scratching their butts on them...my older stallion ruined two panels doing this..just pushed and pushed and bent them....will have to lay them on the ground and put some flat boards across them over the bends and drive over with Jeep or truck to flatten them back out). Generally very safe, pretty economical, rearrangable (is that a word?), replacable and even if they bend they seldom break so not the impalement worry of broken board fencing.

crosscreeksh
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:07 PM
I have pipe pens for several of my pastured horses to eat in. All of mine are sane and respectful and I have had no problems. Something you might want to consider for the flakey mare...build your pens, close the 3 sane horses in their pens, feed the problem mare in the pen, but leave the gate open until/if she chills with the idea. Since she will be the only one free to leave if she panics...you have still accomplished your four stall plan. Just a thought! FWIW - I have not done anything, but fasten the gates together. Sane horses should not need major construction...think of portable stalls at horse shows. Hardly secure!! Except for the flakey mare!!!!

poltroon
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:12 PM
Pipe corral panels are very safe, but buy heavy duty ones with square corners on the top and without loops at the bottom.

EquusMagnificus
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:59 PM
I have pipe pens for several of my pastured horses to eat in. All of mine are sane and respectful and I have had no problems. Something you might want to consider for the flakey mare...build your pens, close the 3 sane horses in their pens, feed the problem mare in the pen, but leave the gate open until/if she chills with the idea. Since she will be the only one free to leave if she panics...you have still accomplished your four stall plan. Just a thought! FWIW - I have not done anything, but fasten the gates together. Sane horses should not need major construction...think of portable stalls at horse shows. Hardly secure!! Except for the flakey mare!!!!

Now that's a good idea... Duh me. Leave hers open until she figures it's safe. I do need to work on the confinement issue with her, but in time... ;)

Great suggestions!! She's typically fine in a stall though, so maybe I'd be ok? I'll give the "open door" idea a try.

ReSomething
Dec. 22, 2010, 02:56 AM
We have seven panels made into two pens, free standing. We do have the rounded tops and ours are rather lightweight. When we put them together one of the things DH did was lash them with baling twine so there is no wiggling or rattling whatsoever. The pony has mashed the center panel up pretty good, and broken a weld on the gate panel so DH added a t post to the outside of the gate. He was banging into it pretty hard during fireworks on the 4th but has done the damage leaning and trying to climb the thing.
They are extremely useful if you haven't got stalls, or to use in addition to your stalls, they can be moved very quickly, they look pretty good if you get the heavier ones or have horses that leave them alone (they look horrible once the pipes get smashed up though). The painted ones are pretty but the paint can chip and fade, galvanized ones keep the same look longer.

Suzanne At Shadow Hollow
Dec. 27, 2010, 06:56 PM
Overall, those kinds of outdoor stalls can work. Be careful if you have a "climber." Weanlings and yearlings are notorious for this kind of behavior. A friend of mine had a yearling in a indoor stall that was constructed of gate panels. He put a leg up and over (he must have tried to climb out) and the leg got caught (between the two panels where they join) and he broke his leg, and had to be put down. I had a really schitzo pony do the same thing once, but I was there, and was able to pop the leg free. So I am a little cautious regarding the kind of horse I put in a metal stall made of coral panels joined together - I like to be sure they aren't "climbers."

eponacelt
Dec. 28, 2010, 11:38 AM
When we were buying panels like this to contain the stall-rester, we had two options - horse strength and bull strength. Since we didn't need them, we got the lighter horse ones, but if you're really concerned, you can go with the really heavy bull gate types.

EquusMagnificus
Dec. 29, 2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the warning Suzanne, but no, no climbers! Thank goodness! That's a scary habit indeed.

I forgot to come back and post an update. :) My SO placed the panels in a four-stall fashion on Dec. 23rd, I used them the first time on Dec. 27th and I AM IN LOVE! It works GREAT. :winkgrin: Idiotic mare behaved as if she was in a stall: respectful of boundaries.

Everyone eats quietly and can get their feet picked and today.......... GROOMING too!! :cool:

Oh I'm a happy camper. :D Those small things that make us, horse owners, sooo happy. :winkgrin: