PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating Thoroughbreds in Dressage (What do you think of this?)

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 21, 2010, 07:13 AM
Hi Folks ... I'd like your help brainstorming, evaluating, and troubleshooting a project I'd like to launch for next year. Will you read over the following announcement and *cringe* (can't believe I'm opening myself up to inviting yinz to criticize but ... if it makes it through this crowd, I'll know it's bulletproof) find the holes in the following anticipated project?

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique 2011 Dressage Celebration

A program to celebrate the achievements of active Thoroughbreds in Dressage.

Upon acceptance of documentation, participants will receive an MTC medallion or pin and be featured on mightythoroughbredclique.com’s Celebrate Thoroughbreds in Dressage page.

The Competition Year is January 1st through December 31st. Riders may submit their award document at any time during the year and until January 15 of the following year. The documents must be completed in their entirety and be accompanied by photocopies (or digital photos) of the fronts of the test with show, judge, and final score.

Scores must be from USEF licensed dressage judges (r, R, S) at either recognized or unrecognized dressage shows or horse trials as follows:
• Training, 1st Level, Beginner Novice, Novice & Training – 5 tests/4 judges, minimum score 65%
• 2nd Level, Preliminary & Intermediate – 4 tests/3 judges, minimum score 60%
• 3rd Level, Advanced – 4 tests/3 judges, minimum score 60%
• 4th Level & All FEI Levels – 3 tests/2 judges, minimum score 60%

Award Documentation
• Rider name, address, phone, email*
• Owner name, address, phone, email (if different)*
• Registered Horse Name, DOB, Sex, JC Registry/Breeder or TB adoption organization
• Show Horse Name (if different)
• Show name, Date, Test Level, Judge Name, Score (%) for each qualifying test
• Photo with permission to use (and photographer’s name if required)
• Permission to post rider and horse name, state, and photo on the MTC website

There is no membership requirement or cost associated with applying for (or receiving) recognition. Awards are limited to one per rider and will be distributed until January 15 or they run out.

*Contact information will only be used to resolve questions about the documentation. No lists will be compiled, distributed, sold or otherwise made available to any other entity or organization or used for any other purpose.

Thanks in advance for input, questions, and concerns ...

Janet
Dec. 21, 2010, 08:28 AM
Recognized shows only? or unrecognized shows with USEF licensed judges?

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:30 AM
My thought is unrecognized shows, too, yes.

cyriz's mom
Dec. 21, 2010, 11:00 AM
I love it!!!

I think if you do unrecognized as well, it needs to be a separate division from recognized shows.

I like the number of tests required. The other TB dressage program (in conjunction with USDF, I guess) requires 8 tests at a level. I think Cyriz would have been one of the top 3rd level horses in 2009 and 2010 (and maybe 4th level in 2010), but we didn't have 8 tests..more like 6, so he wasn't eligible.

GallantGesture
Dec. 21, 2010, 11:44 AM
I think this looks great! I'm with Cyriz's Mom, I never did the All Breed award because I didn't do enough shows, but I'd love something like this to show off my ottb's achievements!

I can see where opening it up to unrecognized shows would let more people participate, but keeping it just recognized shows might simplify things. With recognized shows, scores would be easy to verify through the USDF website.

eventer4ever
Dec. 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
I think this looks great. As a rider/owner of an OTTB that has shown up to PSG and currently schooling all of the Grand Prix, I would love some type of recognition. I don't have enough money to get to all the shows to get the 8 required scores to meet the All Breeds criteria for the USDF award, so it would be so nice to have something to show for all my effort!

A good TB is a great partner for all types of riding, including dressage!

Erica

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
I can see where opening it up to unrecognized shows would let more people participate, but keeping it just recognized shows might simplify things. With recognized shows, scores would be easy to verify through the USDF website.

Good point, GG ... my desire has been to count on the honor system among competitors ... making up test sheets with licensed judges names, fictitious dates and scores seems like a lot of effort. Plus, with name and photo on the website, you really think people will open themselves up for public ridicule?

Thanks e4e and cm, too!

netg
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:29 PM
I think it looks great, too! Now I'm hoping for enough tests over 65% at first this year. ;)

I love any attempt at showing how awesome TBs can be. I had heard all the "they're crazy!" stories, including some about my horse before I bought him. And my horse is unbelievable to me, just how talented and willing and kind he is. So I love all these efforts at getting out info on the good aspects of the OTTB!

I think this looks great! I'm with Cyriz's Mom, I never did the All Breed award because I didn't do enough shows, but I'd love something like this to show off my ottb's achievements!

I didn't realize you were on here - I must have seen you post here before, though! (I've commented on your blog - probably as "Net" there, maybe Annette, I don't remember...)

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 22, 2010, 08:11 AM
Updated the original to reflect recognized and unrecognized ... but only one "division" since there's no competition: everyone who qualifies and asks for one gets one (until they run out).

Additional thoughts?

I would prefer not to reduce the $$ for TB organization donations, so would like to restrict expenses as much as possible, thus no advertising planned.

Vesper Sparrow
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:14 AM
How about including Canada since the tests are identical, the judging accreditation similar, and many US TBs end up in Canada and vice versa?

up-at-5
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:43 PM
How about including Canada since the tests are identical, the judging accreditation similar, and many US TBs end up in Canada and vice versa?

Yeah!:) I have three OTTB"s who are all American bred. I'd love to be a part of this.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
I love it!

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 23, 2010, 11:37 AM
Can the "multiple division" thinkers help me understand the rationale? There are no distinctions between introductory tests and GP tests, for example.

It's not like there's any competition or any official membership required ... it's just an unrecognized atta-girl/boy from MTC, which has no official standing, and is intended to be a bit of extra fun, especially for folks who don't have the resources to show regularly in recognized competitions.

I'm all for adding non-US venues.

But I find myself resisting complexity that requires additional effort on my part ;)

cyriz's mom
Dec. 23, 2010, 01:01 PM
I just reread your OP...reading for comprehension this time! LOL At first I thought you were doing the pins and then a year-end award. Thus, the thought about recognized and unrecognized divisions. But, now I see this more like rider/horse achievement awards. So, there is no need for the separate divisions.

Maybe, if you get enough interest, the program could grow into a year-end award program as well, with some kind of entry fee to offset the costs.

Sorry for the confusion!

jenm
Dec. 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
I think it's a great idea, but would it only be open for registered Thoroughbreds?

Gestalt
Dec. 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
I think it's a great idea. When I had a TB and was showing I joined the Oregon TEA (Thoroughbred Exhibitors Assn). It was fun. TB's are such a fantastic breed, yet so many people dismiss them as nutters.

AllWeatherGal
Jan. 1, 2011, 08:47 AM
cm -- ty!

Gestalt -- thanks for the link. I had no idea about the exhibitors' association!

jenm -- I don't feel strongly about JC registration, which is why I provided the TB Rescue name as an alternative. How do you know your horse is a TB if it's not registered?

Everyone else -- does it matter a lot to you if the horse is a "registered" TB or not? It doesn't so much to me, but I might be missing something significant.

TYVM everyone who is taking the time on the thread or through PMs to give me feedback.