PDA

View Full Version : I just had my first goat dystocia

aspenlucas
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:58 PM
and it was not fun. We had baby goats on Thursday night. Born without a hitch but then hypothermia. Tonight I went out to find our Rosey with a bubble and grunting.....ugh, into the kidding stall (and out with the goat we "thought" was next.

Rosey started pushing and head only! Oh no....James ran in the house to call a goat friend who confirmed I had to stick my hand in. Now I'm not certain HOW my hand made it in there, but it did. Two babies, where were the legs, I found them and brought the first buckling into the world. Toweled him off. Rosey was pretty much in shock and just stood there eating hay. Had to give her Oxytocin and then after about 45 minutes we found out the girl was stuck! Ugh, another head. Fish around, found two feet. That poor doe (I did give her banamine after).

Both out got them dried off and eventually got them to nurse. :) Taking a nap and then getting up every two hours to make sure they are warm enough (with their heat lamp) and that the other two are doing ok also, as this is their first night outside with mom (last night mom came in the laundry room for the night with them).

I'm really getting thrown into this goat thing. The next doe is due anytime, we thought she would go first. And then MY Oberhaslis are due in March and May. My hubby has been reprimanded for breeding his for December. NEVER again!

But what a miracle tonight was. Now pray and jingle babies are all well!

Grataan
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:35 AM
Good job Maria :)

FalseImpression
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:57 AM
Good job and lots of jingles and warm thoughts for the goats and kids!!
I was fascinated last Spring watching kiddings on MareStare.There were some pretty scary times, but one of the breeders was fascinating. She always knew when and what to do and I remember she had to go "fish" some babies. I remember her comments the next day how sore she was from all that helping the does!

Epona142
Dec. 21, 2010, 01:06 AM
Aw that's not so bad. Happens quite more often than people think.

I had a pretty bad kidding season this month...lost a very nice doe and her triplets because of a very hard labor. The kids were tangled and breech and it took me what felt like hours to get them out.

It was too much for the doe and her babies :(

I did have two other fairly easy kiddings with happy healthy babies though, so it could have been worse.

aspenlucas
Dec. 21, 2010, 07:25 AM
Epona142, does head first ever correct itself? for a while she would push him (nose first) and then he would go back in. I had hubby running into grab the goat book as I wanted to be 100% sure it was feet first (I know I should have read up before). By the time he was out there she had pushed a few time and he was out to his shoulders. It was really hard to get him back in.

I'm so sorry about your doe, that was my worry that I was going to lose Rosey. i don't want to lose my does. :(

I've been going out ever two hours and the kids are all doing well. I had the thread about the kids in the house and they are back out, first night last night and acclimating well! I just go out and lift them up to be sure they are nursing, and then go help the others to nurse. I am so thankful this morning that everyone seems to be doing well. :) One more doe and then a break til the oberhaslis in March!

I had a pretty bad kidding season this month...lost a very nice doe and her triplets because of a very hard labor. The kids were tangled and breech and it took me what felt like hours to get them out.

Bluey
Dec. 21, 2010, 07:34 AM
My hands are small so I got to do the ob work.
With goats, you have to figure by touch which leg to which goat you have there and some times that is not easy.
At least goats have lots of room in there, unlike cattle, where everything is very crowded and tight, or horses, that have such long bones to try to get placed just right in such a small space.
Try trying to keep a foal pushed back and fishing a bent back front hoof and bringing that way too long limb up, cupped in your hand to try to avoid injuries to the mother's innards, while your arm is being squeezed in a death grip.:eek:

Good that you could get them sorted and out safely.
Good luck to all.:)

SLW
Dec. 21, 2010, 09:32 AM
Congrats for saving the doe and kids!! Pictures please- no sweeter animal exist than a newborn kid! :)

aspenlucas
Dec. 21, 2010, 10:04 AM
Been there too Bluey and it's a completely different experience. I've foaled out about 40 foals, so still a newbie on that. But boy was I scared last night. Now that I've done it, I think I can handle it. I'm so thankful we were right on top of it and she didn't push him for too long. This morning they really are thriving and my "house" kids are back out with mom and thriving too! I promise pictures later today, when I get a nap in!

Try trying to keep a foal pushed back and fishing a bent back front hoof and bringing that way too long limb up, cupped in your hand to try to avoid injuries to the mother's innards, while your arm is being squeezed in a death grip.:eek:

pj
Dec. 21, 2010, 11:10 AM
op, good job.
Since you had to go in you might want to give the doe a round of antibotics just to be on the safe side.

aspenlucas
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:41 PM
op, good job.
Since you had to go in you might want to give the doe a round of antibotics just to be on the safe side.

Thanks PJ. I did that first thing this morning, started her on long acting penicillin. She is fine and eating. Her poop is soft, but she is straining a little when pooping (I did too after having kids!). Both babies are doing great!

pj
Dec. 21, 2010, 12:51 PM
:) Sounds as if you've got it all covered.

Do we get to see pics of the new babies?

I don't breed anymore, in fact I'm down to five very old does and had to put my favorite eighteen year old down last week but I miss seeing those babies.
LOL miss the milk and cheese, too.

Glad all is going well.

Epona142
Dec. 21, 2010, 07:27 PM
It won't fix itself, not usually, but you can generally grab the head and ease them out, unless the kid is very large, and then you have to go in and try to get the legs forward.

It's so hard to really explain, it's one of those things you just have to learn by experience, and it's terrifying no matter how many times you do it.

This was the first time I've had such a devastating loss and it really broke my heart.

And it's true, goats are quite roomy inside. I've been in quite far fishing kids out, or checking for retained placenta. Not very fun but it's not so bad.

And indeed, where are pictures of the kids!

aspenlucas
Dec. 23, 2010, 03:20 PM
Now yesterday morning I had triplet bucks! First came out one leg and head, perfectly fine. Labor stopped. Gave oxytocin, nothing really. Called a friend and he came and held the doe for me. I had #2's head and leg and #3's back leg! ugh, pushed them in and sorted them out. Pulled #2 out, and then #3 breech. All is well and EVERYONE is nursing.

So tell me goat breeders...I have 2-3 years of easy freshenings, right? :) I still have the Oberhasli's in the spring due.

I PROMISE to get pictures of everyone, I'll start a new thread of baby goat picture. K?