PDA

View Full Version : 16 hr haul...air ride vs non?

ckrystofiak@gmail.com
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:19 PM
Hello everyone!
I just recently bought myself a three year old Hanoverian filly, she's currently located in SC but I am in WI. I know it seems like the obvious choice to use the shipper with the air ride rig vs non, which is what I'm planning on doing. I've never had to have a horse hauled for this long, so I'm just wondering what are the benefits of an air ride rig? One company has a six horse slant (not air ride) and the other has an eight horse head to head air ride rig. The air ride is only $100 more, so I figured why not!

hosspuller
Dec. 20, 2010, 11:29 PM
When I shipped machinery across the country, the driver made more difference in damage than the equipment (air ride vs spring)

Driving my own horse trailer, I'll slow or change lanes if the roadway is rough.

Trakehner
Dec. 21, 2010, 07:07 AM
I'm with Hosspuller...the driver can make your horse's trip comfortable or hell.

I don't care for slant loads at all, if your horse is long bodied, they don't have enough room. I prefer a stall for a long trip, usually they're not that much more expensive.

Chief2
Dec. 22, 2010, 12:46 AM
One of my horses came in here from Ohio in a head to head air ride rig. He arrived cool and comfortable. No problems at all. If you can go that route, I would do it.

shakeytails
Dec. 22, 2010, 05:41 AM
I don't have any objections to a slant load, I own one. But, if I'm going to pay for long haul shipping- I prefer that my horse be on an air-ride horse van.

When I bought a horse from Florida a few years ago, it was about the same price to put him on a van as it would have been for me to drive over 14hrs down and get him- and a whole lot less hassle for me. He arrived in great shape and probably got here quicker (he was the last pick-up and first drop-off) than if I'd done the driving.

Sparky
Dec. 22, 2010, 08:58 AM
If it were reversed and the head to head was the non air ride, I would still choose it over a slant. I just don't like large horses in slant loads for that long a trip. And I do agree that the driver makes all the difference no matter what style of rig.

LauraKY
Dec. 22, 2010, 09:56 AM
Me too. Head to head over slant load any day. Add in air ride, and the decision would be totally made for me. Just check out the shipper thoroughly.

Guilherme
Dec. 22, 2010, 10:14 AM
To quote the Postal Service: If it fits, it ships!!!!! :)

To the best of my knowledge there is no science behind slant load vs. head to head load vs. stall vs. any other method. So what you select will be based on your personal preference, vice any demonstrated superiority/inferiority.

I'd pick an air ride if available as air rides are smoother (and if you have to pull through KY you'll appreciate that a lot, as will your horse ;) ).

If your horse fits in the slant load and is otherwise healthy it won't suffer any ill effects from a 16 hour trip in either an springed slant load or air ride horse van. As noted, the driver's techniques are probably more important than the suspension system, anyway.

Good luck in your transport.

G.

bludejavu
Dec. 22, 2010, 03:22 PM
I'd pick an air ride if available as air rides are smoother (and if you have to pull through KY you'll appreciate that a lot, as will your horse ;) ).

Thanks for the laugh - that's so true! I love going to KY but we always have to be choosy about which lane to travel in as the one on the far right is rougher than rough, and we wont even talk about rural roads.;)

I think if you're shipping a young and sound horse, they would do okay in a regular trailer without the air ride (barring any stupid driving). However, with the difference being only $100, I would choose the air ride. As far as head to head trailers vs. slant, having owned both, guess which one we still have (hint - it wasn't the slant).

When I had a mare ship to CA from GA this fall, she was recovering from a leg injury. She definitely shipped in an air ride van and her new owner said she stepped off quite sound.